U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
of course any country can be stressful, but do they all have the same levels of stress? there have been studies documenting which countries have the most people with highest perceived levels of happiness as well as the reverse. it does tend to be that the more financially successful a country is, the more stressful it becomes. even within a country itself, different regions/states have varying levels of perceived stress e.g. in the US with hawaii vs. new york.

i just remember my korean students saying they came to the philippines maybe to study english a little bit but more to really relieve themselves of stress the way that they can't do back in korea. now the filipinos can't say the same if they were to go to korea. granted, things are waaaaaay cheaper in the philippines than in korea
Portugal and Spain aren't stressful, in Portugal the workers take coffee break so many times a day. In Spain, they close in the afternoon for a siesta.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,020,216 times
I feel like the Philippines would be stressful in its own way for Koreans, like the heat and the fact that it takes forever to get anywhere.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,849,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I feel like the Philippines would be stressful in its own way for Koreans, like the heat and the fact that it takes forever to get anywhere.

hehehe i remember that too. they're not used to the slower pace in the philippines, and always tried to rush the people at the counters and stuff. what was already fast for us was super slow for them. they also hated the fact that the food portions there were itty bitty compared to anywhere else

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM

6,293 posts, read 6,410,362 times
The koreans want to be seen, so it may seem like there is more of them compared to others because everyone is less conspicuous.

Also, having grown up in NNJ, I have noticed they want to be noticed keeping to themselves.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,327,767 times
Funny here in Sydney, Australia the biggest and most popular Sushi chains/restaurants are Korean owned!!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i would only visit korea to try their street foods or the more indigenous ones. nothing else. i agree, korea seems to be a very stressful country, at least from what i remember my korean students griping about. my family has also done business with chinese, koreans and japanese, and we've had the best experience--by a mile--with the japanese. they compensate you generously and timely. rarely with the other two
Very true. As a person who has lived in Japan and Korea, I'd 100% agree.

In Korea, it's a very common experience to be jerked around nearly everytime on a contract. Almost everything in a Korean contract, will be up for negotiation (on their end) after it's signed. So, I might agree to work at XYZ according to those conditions. But than quickly and suddenly find out that half of what is is in the contract, isn't part of the deal at all. I could think of a million examples, but you really have to fight for everything in Korea.

Okay, I'll give a few examples. It is VERY common in Korea to NOT be paid on time. They figure if you pay, you might leave and they wouldn't have a worker. So, they'll delay paying you, as it makes you come to work, with the hope of being paid in the future. I cannot count the number of Korean people I've known who hadn't been paid in months, but simply hoping they might. For myself as well, I've ditched jobs entirely because I just felt like I'd never get paid, so I'd stop going in altogether and forfeit the losses.

This is just a small example of what you have to deal with in Korea all the time. In Japan, or the US, or Australia, or Europe, none of this would ever happen. You sign a contract to be paid on the 15th of each month, and you always get paid on the 15th of the month. It's never up for negotation later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or