Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I'm not meaning this in a xenophobic way, but I'm curious as to why I'm noticing so many South Koreans in both Perth and now here in Melbourne. Walking around the city I see so many Korean people (they're easy to spot and hear) it sometimes feels like mini-Seoul. 20 years ago there were barely any Korean restaurants now there are tons, and a Korean grocery on every corner. I like the food and some of the groceries, but it does sometimes the Korean people keep to themselves a bit. I think most aren't permanent residents, but it seems Koreans are overtaking Japanese in number these days.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not meaning this in a xenophobic way, but I'm curious as to why I'm noticing so many South Koreans in both Perth and now here in Melbourne. Walking around the city I see so many Korean people (they're easy to spot and hear) it sometimes feels like mini-Seoul. 20 years ago there were barely any Korean restaurants now there are tons, and a Korean grocery on every corner. I like the food and some of the groceries, but it does sometimes the Korean people keep to themselves a bit. I think most aren't permanent residents, but it seems Koreans are overtaking Japanese in number these days.

from my experience working with korean students, they're using australia as one of the countries to learn english from and get exposure to that language. with their economic status, they more than certainly can afford it. i also think it's easier for foreign people to enter australia than say US with visa issues, though of course i could be wrong on that.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Oz forum, I guess it was moved?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Oz forum, I guess it was moved?

because of the koreans in your title hehehe

Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM

you could delete this thread and make a new one without the word koreans in the title. it might stay in the oz forum

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
from my experience working with korean students, they're using australia as one of the countries to learn english from and get exposure to that language. with their economic status, they more than certainly can afford it. i also think it's easier for foreign people to enter australia than say US with visa issues, though of course i could be wrong on that.
That could be true, Korea is becoming very globalised these days.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
This is common everywhere these days.

When I go back to the U.S., it seems new Korea-towns are popping all over the place across the U.S. in different cities.

When I visit the Philippines, I constantly see Koreans everywhere. Even in smaller cities in the Philippines, like Iloilo or Bacolod, you'll see little groups of Koreans everywhere at the malls.

I see way more Koreans traveling everywhere, and living everywhere, than Japanese. I also notice that Koreans actually emigrate with the intention to stay everywhere as well. Generally speaking, Japanese generally end up back in Japan. Koreans go out, and establish little Korea Towns everywhere. They also do keep to themselves.

I lived in Seoul for 7-8 years, and also lived in New York City for a few years. I went to a a Korean area in Queens NYC, and saw all kinds of Korean establishments like 'ha-sooks', i.e. Korean boarding houses, where everyone was Korean, and than I went into many Korean restaurants that had no English menu at all. Than I started teaching Koreans in NYC how to speak English, the exact same as I did when I lived in Seoul. It's almost as if some of them have no clue they are even living in Queens NYC, they were exactly as they were in Seoul, and still exactly hiring the English teacher to come to them to 'converse' and 'practice' for a couple hours a week. Just insane.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is common everywhere these days.

When I go back to the U.S., it seems new Korea-towns are popping all over the place across the U.S. in different cities.

When I visit the Philippines, I constantly see Koreans everywhere. Even in smaller cities in the Philippines, like Iloilo or Bacolod, you'll see little groups of Koreans everywhere at the malls.

I see way more Koreans traveling everywhere, and living everywhere, than Japanese. I also notice that Koreans actually emigrate with the intention to stay everywhere as well. Generally speaking, Japanese generally end up back in Japan. Koreans go out, and establish little Korea Towns everywhere. They also do keep to themselves.

I lived in Seoul for 7-8 years, and also lived in New York City for a few years. I went to a a Korean area in Queens NYC, and saw all kinds of Korean establishments like 'ha-sooks', i.e. Korean boarding houses, where everyone was Korean, and than I went into many Korean restaurants that had no English menu at all. Than I started teaching Koreans in NYC how to speak English, the exact same as I did when I lived in Seoul. It's almost as if some of them have no clue they are even living in Queens NYC, they were exactly as they were in Seoul, and still exactly hiring the English teacher to come to them to 'converse' and 'practice' for a couple hours a week. Just insane.
With the economy improving in SK you'd expect less migration to the US these days. I get the impression most Koreans here are younger and here temporarily, I don't see many older Koreans at all except those that run the shops catering to these young Koreans.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I live in Texas between Dallas and Shreveport, Louisiana.

There are Korean markets, restaurants, etc. scattered throughout this area. Locally, several sushi restaurants are owned by Koreans, and largely staffed by Koreans as well.

My adopted brother and grandson are both Korean - and my oldest son just married a lovely Korean girl!

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE... and that's fine by me.

And Korean food is DA BOMB. Wow, talk about a taste sensation!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:13 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
There are not that many Koreans in Australian mate, and well over half of them live in Sydney. There are actually more American born Australian's than Koreans.

Brisbane's Korean born population is on par with Melbourne's (both cities have permanent Korean Populations of about 9,000), however in Brisbane's case a least, most of them live in apartments either in or within a few km's of the CBD. As a result the CBD/Downtown has many Korean Supermarkets and restaurants to cater for them, and any other people who might enjoy the food, certainly to the casual observer in the Brisbane CBD it would appear that the city has a very large Korean Community.

Certainly Australia is very popular with Korean Backpackers, I read not so long ago that more Koreans come here on WHV's than Brits.

I just get the feeling that Koreans make a bit more a visual presence of them selves than some other nationalities.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-02-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia