Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times

Advertisements

S.Korea is on the economic rise...my friend bought a Samsung refrigerator...who would've thought that would be even be thinkable ten yrs ago? Korean restaurants have been growing in my area considerably over the past 5-6 yrs...They have the best LED TVs on the market right now. They are winning over many households with their autos, home appliances, etc. I can see why Japan is understandably 'threatened' by this. The government is also pumping $ into their music industry to attract tourism. I've also seen more and more Korean tourists nowdays too.

Last edited by JL; 06-15-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
S.Korea is on the economic rise...my friend bought a Samsung refrigerator...who would've thought that would be even be thinkable ten yrs ago? Korean restaurants have been growing in my area considerably over the past 5-6 yrs...They have the best LED TVs on the market right now. They are winning over many households with their autos, home appliances, etc. I can see why Japan is understandably 'threatened' by this. The government is also pumping $ into their music industry to attract tourism. I've also seen more and more Korean tourists nowdays too.
Tons of tourists from Korea here in LA, but most of them spend much of their time in Koreatown There are hotels that have opened up or drastically remodeled and refurbished to account for this.

While on the one hand I can't really blame them for wanting to stay in a hotel with a Korean-speaking staff and all, it just seems odd that while the Japanese and Chinese, to say nothing of the various European and Latin American tourists will be hitting up Venice Beach and Hollywood and all that, many Korean visitors just stick to the Korean BBQ joints, bars, and Korean-owned sushi and pho joints in Central LA.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Although South Korea has a close tie with the US, Koreans are actually more nationalist than Chinese and Japanese; and surprisingly their English is even weaker than Chinese (talking about young people of both countries only).

Koreans are very "traditional" too. Their social hierarchy is obvious and serious.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Would you say the cultural diffs. b/w Korea and Japan are roughly as much as the cultural differences b/w France and UK?
The cultural difference isn't the root of all the problems.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Although South Korea has a close tie with the US, Koreans are actually more nationalist than Chinese and Japanese; and surprisingly their English is even weaker than Chinese (talking about young people of both countries only).

Koreans are very "traditional" too. Their social hierarchy is obvious and serious.
I've seen the same that, especially among younger Koreans. Older Koreans who remember when Korea was a developing, borderline-third world nation run by a military dictatorship seem to be less inclined to heavy nationalism, while many younger Koreans who have grown up during Korea's admittedly-meteoric rise of development in the last 20 years seem to be inclined towards fairly intense nationalism.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Even more so than the Japanese(in general)??

Old 08-13-2014, 03:49 AM

40 posts, read 56,777 times
I dont feel inferioty, but rather using korea as a scapegoat, i guess?
Its easy to attack someone outside the territory, to solve problems inside.
I hope majority japanese people are smart to not fool around with these hate speech and racial slurs.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
I dont feel inferioty, but rather using korea as a scapegoat, i guess?
Its easy to attack someone outside the territory, to solve problems inside.
I hope majority japanese people are smart to not fool around with these hate speech and racial slurs.
Having lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years, the mass majority of Japanese ARE smart, and aren't into hate speech or racial slurs. In fact, I never saw it happen. I've only read about incidents here and there, and that was the extent of it.

In Korea, however, they absolutely hate the Japanese, and incredibly vocal about it. I lived there for even longer, and if I wanted a quick and sudden 'english practice' session with my Korean students, I'd quickly introduce anything Japan-related, and my Korean students would quickly be fueled up, and using English in no time!

When I moved to Japan, I tried to the same approach with the Japanese, thinking it was mutual. Most Japanese were completely indifferent. OR, they discussed their interest in Korean films, their movie stars, their pop stars, and their music.

Sometimes when these little 'anti-Korea stories' come up in the news, I usually check the source, and it's always some Koreans looking for the stories to fuel their own hatred. Other times I wonder if there might be a small percentage of Japanese who encounter the hatred that Koreans have for them, and in turn, dish it right back. As that is often the case with hate-filled things.

Regardless, the mass majority of Japanese do not feel that way at all.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Not really,Japanese people just hate Korea,and vise versa,that's all.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 AM

40 posts, read 56,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Having lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years, the mass majority of Japanese ARE smart, and aren't into hate speech or racial slurs. In fact, I never saw it happen. I've only read about incidents here and there, and that was the extent of it.

In Korea, however, they absolutely hate the Japanese, and incredibly vocal about it. I lived there for even longer, and if I wanted a quick and sudden 'english practice' session with my Korean students, I'd quickly introduce anything Japan-related, and my Korean students would quickly be fueled up, and using English in no time!

When I moved to Japan, I tried to the same approach with the Japanese, thinking it was mutual. Most Japanese were completely indifferent. OR, they discussed their interest in Korean films, their movie stars, their pop stars, and their music.

Sometimes when these little 'anti-Korea stories' come up in the news, I usually check the source, and it's always some Koreans looking for the stories to fuel their own hatred. Other times I wonder if there might be a small percentage of Japanese who encounter the hatred that Koreans have for them, and in turn, dish it right back. As that is often the case with hate-filled things.

Regardless, the mass majority of Japanese do not feel that way at all.

Then why would hate speech happen in tokyo and many cities in Japan?
Dont get me wrong, i have lured around in some Japanese forums to look for some japanese toys, but pretty much i found racist and rude comments so i wouldnt say "most japanese are indifferent".
Japanese in general mostly dont express their feelings inside in public places, so i would doubt they would act racist in Public, so its bit surprising that hate speech is getting bigger in Japan.

Also to add, Koreans in gerenal dont hate Japanese. It just fuels up with history (Japans colonization, sex slave, Yazukuni Shrine, Abe etc), and koreans in general are more frank or blunt in some way than Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia