U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,129,008 times

Advertisements

I have a one way ticket to Bangkok, will that be a problem with immigration, check in (Air Asia)?

anyone done this recently - by the way, I already have Tourist Visa for Thailand.

in the old days this was fine but it's been some time since i've been there, cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 PM

5,095 posts, read 8,071,164 times
How long ago were the "old days" you mentioned? A lot of immigration rules have changed over the years. Just so you know, last time I applied for a Tourist Visa was over 20 years ago. A Tourist Visa was required for any stay over 30 days. Tourist Visas were good up to 60 days. Now it's 90 days for a single entry visa. Since then, I don't need to apply for a visa since I'm not in the country for more than 30 days, so I don't need to apply for a visa. I get a 30-day transit visa stamped in my passport on arrival. There are multiple-entry tourist visas that are good for up to a total of 180 days, but you have to make a border run every 60 days.

According to the Royal Thai Consulate - General in Los Angeles, you need to show your flight ticket with the arrival and departure dates to be issued a Tourist Visa. How did you get your Tourist Visa with a one-way ticket? In any case, you might need to show your airline ticket at the immigration desk, along with your passport, on arrival at the airport in Bangkok. If your visa shows it to be a 90-day single entry Tourist Visa, then you might want to change your airline ticket before you head off to Thailand. Your visa will still have to be stamped on arrival. It'd be a bummer to be turned away as soon as you arrive. Keep us posted. I'd be interested to see how this turns out. It's possible they might give you a few days of conditional slack time to buy an outbound ticket and confirm it with immigration. It might also cost you extra for a fine similar to an overstay fine. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

In the link below check the 6th requirement listed in the "Required Documents".
Royal Thai Consulate - General Los Angeles

Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Well I booked a one way ticket from Hanoi to Bangkok without any flights booked out of the country and it was fine.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM

5,095 posts, read 8,071,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I booked a one way ticket from Hanoi to Bangkok without any flights booked out of the country and it was fine.
That's good to know. My point is that you can be denied access, so perhaps it depends partly on the person behind the immigration counter. Or it may be up to the airline at the original point of departure. Did you have a tourist visa? What's the point being made by the Thai Consulate in LA then? The Thai Consulate in Sweden says the same thing as the one in LA does.
http://www.thaiembassy.se/minmapp/fi...stions_new.pdf

The OP might want to have a look at the following link on the subject. There is a risk, even though it may be slight. If a traveler is asked to show proof of an outbound flight, it could be a pretty sticky situation. As for me, I'd still say it's not worth the risk when the solution is easy enough as it is.
Getting a tourist visa with a one-way ticket (USA)

Thailand: 60 day tourist visa

To be fair, my circumstances are probably a bit different since my wife is from there, we have family and friends there, and we plan to be moving there for retirement in the not-too-distant future. So I have no desire to risk screwing anything up that would get in the way of that.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,030 times
Visa policy of Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody is gonna care if you're from red or blue. Perhaps, but unlikely imo, if you're from yellow. Probably if you're from grey.

A crap load of people enter Thailand by bus. Nobody I ever met had a return ticket before they even got in. Most people get it once they are there. I don't see why they would treat tourists entering by bus differently than those who enter by air.

By the way..you have a tourist visa for Thailand? What country are you from (passport holder)? How long you want to stay? A lot of people simply do visa runs.

Last edited by Glucorious; 06-13-2013 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I have a one way ticket to Bangkok, will that be a problem with immigration, check in (Air Asia)?

anyone done this recently - by the way, I already have Tourist Visa for Thailand.

in the old days this was fine but it's been some time since i've been there, cheers
Worst-case scenario is you are required to purchase an onward ticket. If so, make sure you have a credit card handy, and make sure it's a refundable purchase.

Generally speaking, authorities will not check, but it does happen. Usually it's when you try to check-in for your one-way flight. The airline company, if they don't check this, will be legally required to bring you back on another flight, if immigration decides they won't take you in.

The other checkpoint is coming into the country, and immigration asks you. Usually, if you've gone this far, they'll probably just direct you to the nearest booking office to book your ticket on the spot.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,943,917 times
-Land borders are much more lax than airports.
-You may be checked upon departure by the agent issuing your boarding pass, or--less likely--asked for proof of departure flight at customs.
-Simple solution is to book a fully-refundable one-way return/onward ticket (to Hong Kong, for instance, which would be much cheaper if you're worried about the refund), then cancel it once you are in the country.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
How did you get your Tourist Visa with a one-way ticket? In any case, you might need to show your airline ticket at the immigration desk, along with your passport, on arrival at the airport in Bangkok.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. It's possible they might give you a few days of conditional slack time to buy an outbound ticket and confirm it with immigration.

I went to the Thai embassy in London with passport, cash (50) and photos, and got double entry tourist visa (60 days each entry) no probs - they didn't ask to see any air tickets.

anyway, I'll let you know what happens, cheers

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
ok, that sounds good, how long ago was it and which airline?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
By the way..you have a tourist visa for Thailand? What country are you from (passport holder)? How long you want to stay? A lot of people simply do visa runs.
I'm from the UK, so British passport holder, and although I'm in UK right now I will be using my one way Bangkok with Air Asia - and it's the Air Asia desk at check in that I'm concerned about.

I could really do without the run around of having to buy an extra one way ticket out of TL, as my next flight from there will be to somewhere in Europe.

so more specifically, has anyone flied to Bangkok recently on Air Asia and did they check for onward/return tickets at check in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia