U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,002,119 times

Advertisements

Link please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The correlative, on a Chinese web forum about visiting the USA:

Social contact: People will seem very friendly, but they really resent you coming to America and not paying any taxes, and using free facilities that have been paid for with tax money stolen from them, even though there isn't anything free anymore. Americans wear yellow happy-face buttons that say have a nice day, but what they really mean is "give me money", so they can buy "the next big thing" that was made by your friends back home. If an American tries to engage you in a friendly conversation, you can be sure that their purpose is to persuade you to come with them to their church on Sunday morning. Just show no interest in Christianity and they will then completely leave you alone and not bother you anymore. If they see you again later, they will turn their back or walk on the other side of the street.

Strangers: If you think someone is saying something friendly to you in the street, they are actually talking to somebody else on an invisible device implanted in their hoodie. Do not make the mistake of smiling back or speaking to them, they will report you as a stalker, because they are all very sexually insecure and fearful. In any case, you cannot talk to a stranger until you wait for them to take out their earbud, and even then, they will not hear you because their hearing is permanently damaged from decades of high-volume otic trauma. Similarly, do not make any eye contact with an American in a supermarket or shopping mall, it makes them feel very uncomfortable. If they notice you, they will curl up the lip into a fake smile that lasts exactly one second, and then look away. This is a conditioned reflex, which is not to be taken as having any social meaning.

Hygeine: Be sure to put on all freshly-laundered clothing every morning. Americans will consider you "dirty" if you do not smell like dryer towels and/or some dreadful spray-on or roll-on scent, and their homes are shielded from all odors except Glade plug-ins. This is extremely important, Americans are transfixed with a hysterical phobia about personal odors. Never blow cigarette smoke in the face of a stranger after sitting down uninvited at their table in a restaurant.

Safety: Remember that one percent of the adult male population of the USA is in prison right now, and about half the boys who are non-white will be in jail at some time in their lives. Very, very few of them have had a courtroom trial. You must always consider the very high risk that you will be one of them. If by chance you are driving a car, your few remaining constitutional rights are then null and void. Keep in mind that most Americans own handguns, many are carrying one concealed as you encounter them, and the reason they do is to shoot to kill any human being of whom they are suspicious, which is permitted by law in most states. And as an alien who does not understand the language or customs, you are considered suspicious by definition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
In big cities like Beijing or Shanghai, nobody cares. There are tens of thousands Japanese and Koreans and they don't speak Chinese.

You are an alien, a non-resident alien in China. 99% Asian faces speak Chinese in China, why should average people always assume the 1%? They don't even care about if you are American or Canadian. Everyone in Beijing/Shanghai minds their own business, very few people are interested in your heritage and birthplace at all.

If you want everyone you meet in China to fully understand your nationality and heritage, then it's your problem.
Of course nobody cares about your nationality and heritage, that's the same in big cities around the world. I've spent most of my life living in big cities and I love the anonymity of it all. I don't mind that upon first glance they consider me Chinese and expect me to speak Chinese, that's expected. What really irritates me is that after saying 3 or 4 times I don't speak any Chinese they continue to assume I speak Chinese and sometimes get upset when I don't respond in kind. That shows their ignorance and racism. Keep in mind these are mainly older people and younger but less educated people.

I'm not a violent or aggressive person by nature but I've been in numerous shouting incidents in China and twice had to physically defend my wife from people that I could only assume were insecure and jealous of me. When they see me with my wife, who happens to be an attractive young Chinese woman, and they find out I'm an Asian-American, some of them definitely display inferiority/jealousy towards me. I'm only guessing that they think I'm "showing off" by speaking only English towards them and maybe they also think that my wife married me solely because of my U.S. citizenship, which of course is not true. Unless you're an Asian-American who can't speak Chinese, you really would have no idea what I'm talking about. That said, I've met a large number of Chinese that I consider wonderful people, my wife's family treats me better than my own family treats me and I have many Chinese friends. I just wanted to share my experiences and let people know my point of view.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Nowadays, people in Beijing (or other big cities) do expect foreigners to speak some Chinese. However, if you are obviously a tourist not living in Beijing, the expectation goes away.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Link please.
How to Act while in China.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,002,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To the Chinese web forum, not this thread.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
[quote=miamihurricane555;30025313]Hi, as the threads name suggests I posting this thread to ask from people who have been to china specifically Beijing, on how to act or more accurately greet someone while I'm in china. [\quote]

"Ni Hao." + a nod + a smile.

Quote:
I live in 2 weeks and I don't want to end offending them bye shaking there hand instead of bowing or something like that.
Don't bow. Don't shake unless they offer.

Quote:
To give you some back ground I'm a White Hispanic college student that is going to china in a group as part of the college's study abroad program and will be in china for the first 3wks of July. my visa,housing,transport to from and in china have already been arranged, as well as my food and itinerary while I'm there. I just need to know what are the do's and don't of china? like is it okay for us to speak Spanish while we are there are would that be viewed as rude? Thanks in advance.
It is fine to speak Spanish. Watch out, because Beijing is the scam capitol of China. The airport is especially bad. Any Taxi will try to overcharge you at least 200%, there are people walking around in fake uniforms with fake credentials trying to herd you onto overpriced buses that won't take you where you want to go. If you've got a tour or guide, stick with them for the first few days and observe the scammers.

Even though there is a lot of scamming going on, none of it is particularly dangerous or expensive. You may lose a couple of dollars worth of RMB here and there, but don't be too paranoid that you don't have a good time. If you don't speak Mandarin, you might not even know you're getting ripped off much of the time as even scammer prices are less than what you'd pay in the USA.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,286,383 times
[quote=sponger42;30053898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Hi, as the threads name suggests I posting this thread to ask from people who have been to china specifically Beijing, on how to act or more accurately greet someone while I'm in china. [\quote]

"Ni Hao." + a nod + a smile.

Don't bow. Don't shake unless they offer.

It is fine to speak Spanish. Watch out, because Beijing is the scam capitol of China. The airport is especially bad. Any Taxi will try to overcharge you at least 200%, there are people walking around in fake uniforms with fake credentials trying to herd you onto overpriced buses that won't take you where you want to go. If you've got a tour or guide, stick with them for the first few days and observe the scammers.

Even though there is a lot of scamming going on, none of it is particularly dangerous or expensive. You may lose a couple of dollars worth of RMB here and there, but don't be too paranoid that you don't have a good time. If you don't speak Mandarin, you might not even know you're getting ripped off much of the time as even scammer prices are less than what you'd pay in the USA.
Oh wow thanks I didn't realize the Chinese don't bow. it's nice to know that we will be able to speak in Spanish among st ourselves so we can avoid people eavesdropping. Also, sense I'm going in the middle of the summer monsoon is it really hot humid and stormy like here in Miami or is it more mild(god forbid it's worse)?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM

[quote=miamihurricane555;30071030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

Oh wow thanks I didn't realize the Chinese don't bow. it's nice to know that we will be able to speak in Spanish among st ourselves so we can avoid people eavesdropping. Also, sense I'm going in the middle of the summer monsoon is it really hot humid and stormy like here in Miami or is it more mild(god forbid it's worse)?
Most cities of China are hot and humid in the summer.
Beijing is relatively "mild" compared to the south, but it always depends on the specific days.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,286,383 times
[quote=Bettafish;30074411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post

Most cities of China are hot and humid in the summer.
Beijing is relatively "mild" compared to the south, but it always depends on the specific days.
define mild?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM

[quote=miamihurricane555;30081033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

define mild?
For July and August:
Daily highs are usually around 90 F (32 C).
Occasionally it reaches 35 C or higher. The record is a little over 40 C.

Thunder storms are common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or