Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,940 times

Advertisements

I might be visiting Singapore on business for 3-6 months. I might be able to have a stipend of 2000 USD per week. I will need help with the following:

housing - should i get a corporate apartment or local rental?
high speed internet - in the apartment? or use internet cafes?
laundry - in apt complex or coin operated laundromat?
vaccinations - do i need them?
money - can i use my US credit card? can i withdraw money from my US bank?
transportation - are there unlimited passes that give you access to public transport without transfer fees (between different lines)?
mobile phone - can i buy an unlocked phone in the US and buy a SIM card once i arrive?
US embassy - should i register there?
power conversion - will my US devices use the same power outlet, e.g. electric shaver?
Visa - what kind do i need and where do i get it?

This is my first international trip abroad alone, and I'm pretty much clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acp0 View Post
I might be visiting Singapore on business for 3-6 months. I might be able to have a stipend of 2000 USD per week. I will need help with the following:

Renting an apartment is always a lot cheaper.

You have 2000 per week, might as well get your own?

Again, 2000 per week.. why go not get an apartment with a washer and dryer?

You don't "need" them, but why not get them.

Don't do that. The ATM you use will charge you money and your U.S. bank will charge. Chase charges 15 Dollars per transaction, for instance.

transportation - are there unlimited passes that give you access to public transport without transfer fees (between different lines)?

I was told there were unlimited passes, but somebody else said there wasn't. It's certainly not cheap.I paid like 7-10 Dollars per day just for this. I know they have them for tourists, but you don't want to spend 8 bucks per day when you live there. I think they don't have that for residents.

mobile phone - can i buy an unlocked phone in the US and buy a SIM card once i arrive?

Yes.

If you want.

power conversion - will my US devices use the same power outlet, e.g. electric shaver?

No, they use the same plugs they use in the U.K.

Embassy of the Republic of Singapore - Washington D.C.

This is my first international trip abroad alone, and I'm pretty much clueless.
Good luck

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,570 times
>> you might have to get a services apartment cos most local rental lease are min a year

>> I don't think there are that many Internet cafes these days. Get a prepaid plan and use your Internet anywhere.

>> sorry, no coin operated laundromat too! Most apartments will come with washer/dryer

>> prob not

>> you can...just that you will be charged for it and the credit card conversion rates are usually sucky

>> no. Get an Ezlink card for all forms of transport - MRT and buses. You already pay a lower fare with an Ezlink card as compared to paying a single trip card or with cash (on buses)

>> yes

>> I guess it'd be good

>> for devices like laptop/phone/iPad/camera/electric shaver....they can still work but u need to get adapters for them. Other things....forget them and leave them at home.

>> if you only staying up to 90days, you do not need a visa. You should contact Embassy of Singapore in Washington DC

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Why not just buy a phone in Asia.
They cost is usually cheaper.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not just buy a phone in Asia.
They cost is usually cheaper.
Not really...it's probably cheaper in the states. My friends in Singapore are always trying to get me to help them buy stuffs back....including electronics.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM

108 posts, read 259,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
Not really...it's probably cheaper in the states. My friends in Singapore are always trying to get me to help them buy stuffs back....including electronics.
Agree, electronics in Singapore can be very expensive my last laptop I bought from Amazon US site and after paying the GST still worked out cheaper.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Vaccinations aren't required for Singapore itself, but if you're going to take regular trips to SE Asia, e.g. Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, or South Asia or China, you might as well do it.

High speed internet is probably a good idea.

As for visa, check the Singaporean embassy website for info.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 AM

5 posts, read 10,940 times
Thanks all for the responses. I have some follow ups:
  1. Are EZ-Link passes available to purchase by Singapore residents only?
  2. What is the custom for tipping in the service industry?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp0 View Post
Thanks all for the responses. I have some follow ups:
  1. Are EZ-Link passes available to purchase by Singapore residents only?
  2. What is the custom for tipping in the service industry?
No. Anyone can buy Ezlink passes.
No tipping required. All restaurants have service charge already included in bill

Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM

39 posts, read 99,304 times
There is unlimited passes for the transportation but u will end up spend more to get the pass than top up ur regular Ezlink card occasionally.

Get a service apartment with high-speed internet and washer unit will be better idea for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia