U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,975,516 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's like you want Filipinos to be the only Latin Asians. Stop hating. Most Filipinos can't speak Spanish, therefore Spain should stop giving them citizenship
It's because Americans replace the Spanish Language, Should Filipinos stop speaking English too and also stop migrating in the US. What is the difference between US and Spain? for the Filipinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's like you want Filipinos to be the only Latin Asians. Stop hating. Most Filipinos can't speak Spanish, therefore Spain should stop giving them citizenship
Spain grants them Citizenship because they are living in Spain. Because they are living in Spain, they speak Spanish. They cannot use English in Spain. When they get the nationality in Spain, they should also be able to speak Spanish.

Portuguese grants them Citizenship even if Macau is not a Portuguese colony any more. China already took Macau. Why do they still have to be Portuguese ?

I am not the only one who thinks about this. I know some Portuguese friends including my husband who believe they should already have Chinese nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,020,216 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Spain grants them Citizenship because they are living in Spain. Because they are living in Spain, they speak Spanish. They cannot use English in Spain. When they get the nationality in Spain, they should also be able to speak Spanish.

Portuguese grants them Citizenship even if Macau is not a Portuguese colony any more. China already took Macau. Why do they still have to be Portuguese ?
The Philippines isn't a Spanish colony anymore and most people dont speak Spanish. Macau is not a Portuguese colony anymore and most people dont speak Portuguese. What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The Philippines isn't a Spanish colony anymore and most people dont speak Spanish. Macau is not a Portuguese colony anymore and most people dont speak Portuguese. What's the difference?
The difference is Filipinos do not have Spanish nationality except for Filipinos in Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's like you want Filipinos to be the only Latin Asians. Stop hating. Most Filipinos can't speak Spanish, therefore Spain should stop giving them citizenship
No I don't hate them. I also acknowledge other countries in Asia that have Latin influence like East Timor and Goa ... I think East Timor is more Latin than Macau because they have absorbed more the Portuguese culture ( language, names and religion ) .

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-22-2013 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,020,216 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The difference is Filipinos do not have Spanish nationality except for Filipinos in Spain.
that only applies to the people of Portuguese-descent in Macau, which is just a small percent of the population. It's not like everyone in Macau is automatically a citizen of Portugal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
that only applies to the people of Portuguese-descent in Macau, which is just a small percent of the population. It's not like everyone in Macau is automatically a citizen of Portugal
I have been to the Portuguese Embassy a lot of times already everytime we need to take care of our documents. Embassy is always full of Macanese that look full blooded Chinese who cannot speak Portuguese at all to the Portuguese workers there. Their kids who also look full blooded Chinese ( small kids ) are able to acquire the nationality too because of their Parents' nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,975,516 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The Philippines isn't a Spanish colony anymore and most people dont speak Spanish. Macau is not a Portuguese colony anymore and most people dont speak Portuguese. What's the difference?
and we are no longer American colony but Philippines is still under the American Neocolonialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I have been to the Portuguese Embassy a lot of times already everytime we need to take care of our documents. Embassy is always full of Macanese that look full blooded Chinese who cannot speak Portuguese at all to the Portuguese workers there. Their kids who also look full blooded Chinese ( small kids ) are able to acquire the nationality too because of their Parents' nationality.
I noticed that with the Macanese. They usually look very Chinese, generally.

That being said, there are also many Portuguese in Macau right now. I was recently in Macau, and there must be at least 100+ Portuguese restaurants quite easily, and many Portuguese people who now live in Macau. I spoke to some of them, and they were saying that with Portugal's current economy, the Portuguese population living in Macau, has really increased.

Actually, I just looked up the number of PORTUGUESE Restaurants in Macau. According to Macau Restaurant Search : Portuguese | OpenRice Hong Kong, there are 191 listings of Portuguese Restaurants in Macau.

I went to several of them, and they were loaded up with Portuguese-speaking staff, probably directly from Portugal or possibly Brazil.

I also saw a number of African students there in Macau, usually from Angola or Mozambique. Most often they were studying PORTUGUESE LAW. Apparently Macau is a popular place to study Portuguese Law for African students, and possibly Brazilian or even Portuguese students as well, perhaps.

In short, I would agree that the Macanese population isn't where the Portuguese is at. I do feel that Portuguese is alive and well in spots throughout Macau because of the University of Macau's Law programs, and because of all the Portuguese Restaurants, which I'll guess might often be Portuguese-owned.

That being said, MOST OF MACAU is predominately Chinese and Cantonese-speaking, by a large large and high numbers. But, I wouldn't be too quick to state that the Portuguese language is dead and gone in Macau, as that doesn't seem to be the case entirely. It is with the Chinese people, but the Portuguese still have a little presense throughout the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,863,241 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that with the Macanese. They usually look very Chinese, generally.

That being said, there are also many Portuguese in Macau right now. I was recently in Macau, and there must be at least 100+ Portuguese restaurants quite easily, and many Portuguese people who now live in Macau. I spoke to some of them, and they were saying that with Portugal's current economy, the Portuguese population living in Macau, has really increased.

Actually, I just looked up the number of PORTUGUESE Restaurants in Macau. According to Macau Restaurant Search : Portuguese | OpenRice Hong Kong, there are 191 listings of Portuguese Restaurants in Macau.

I went to several of them, and they were loaded up with Portuguese-speaking staff, probably directly from Portugal or possibly Brazil.

I also saw a number of African students there in Macau, usually from Angola or Mozambique. Most often they were studying PORTUGUESE LAW. Apparently Macau is a popular place to study Portuguese Law for African students, and possibly Brazilian or even Portuguese students as well, perhaps.

In short, I would agree that the Macanese population isn't where the Portuguese is at. I do feel that Portuguese is alive and well in spots throughout Macau because of the University of Macau's Law programs, and because of all the Portuguese Restaurants, which I'll guess might often be Portuguese-owned.

That being said, MOST OF MACAU is predominately Chinese and Cantonese-speaking, by a large large and high numbers. But, I wouldn't be too quick to state that the Portuguese language is dead and gone in Macau, as that doesn't seem to be the case entirely. It is with the Chinese people, but the Portuguese still have a little presense throughout the city.
Yes there are still Portuguese in Macau of course. They didn't all go back to Portugal. Some of them stayed especially the ones who were born there. There are also some Portuguese who left Macau before and came back because of bad economy in Portugal. I have some Portuguese friends who came back to Macau.
The Portuguese language is alive with the Portuguese people and with Brasilians and Portuguese speaking Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top