Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes there are still Portuguese in Macau of course. They didn't all go back to Portugal. Some of them stayed especially the ones who were born there. There are also some Portuguese who left Macau before and came back because of bad economy in Portugal. I have some Portuguese friends who came back to Macau.
The Portuguese language is alive with the Portuguese people and with Brasilians and Portuguese speaking Africans.
Not JUST Portugese who never left, and not JUST those who've come back.

But, NEW arrivals from Portugal, people who have never lived in Macau previously.

The Portuguese I met in Macau, were saying that more Portuguese live in Macau now, than did during Portuguese ownership. Many of them new arrivals. (Still a small percentage compared to Cantonese though).

Found this article, which I think was poorly translated from Portuguese: Emigration: Portuguese population fleeing to Macau soars | Portugal Daily View

But, essentially, every year, the increase of new arrivals from Portugual seem to keep outnumbering the arrivals from the year before. I think this has been occurring consistently since Macau has gone to China. When you think about it though, if you were a Portuguese-speaking person interested in Asia, there are few better places to be than Macau. Even moreso since it still operates under Portuguese Law, and will continue to do until 2059.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM

36,885 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But, NEW arrivals from Portugal, people who have never lived in Macau previously.

The Portuguese I met in Macau, were saying that more Portuguese live in Macau now, than did during Portuguese ownership. Many of them new arrivals. (Still a small percentage compared to Cantonese though).

Found this article, which I think was poorly translated from Portuguese: Emigration: Portuguese population fleeing to Macau soars | Portugal Daily View

But, essentially, every year, the increase of new arrivals from Portugual seem to keep outnumbering the arrivals from the year before. I think this has been occurring consistently since Macau has gone to China. When you think about it though, if you were a Portuguese-speaking person interested in Asia, there are few better places to be than Macau. Even moreso since it still operates under Portuguese Law, and will continue to do until 2059.
That's an interesting phenomenon. Macau is essentially a small first world enclave in a region of mostly developing countries, so yea, this does make sense. I guess th recession in portugal would have encouraged more emigration. I wonder what the immgration policies for portuguese going to macau is like. For a territory as small as Macau with only half a million people, relatively small surges of immigrants can change the overall composition of the population pretty quickly.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,059,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese people are not interested in foreign languages. My parents learned Russian in school but they forget almost everything. After all, it is a country with 1.3 billion people and most of them never talk to any foreigner in their entire life.

They also consider colonial history a shame, absolutely not something to brag about. So there is no motivation for them to maintain a colonial culture.
They are not Chinese, they are Macanese. Nobody asked them if they wanted to be Chinese, the Chicoms forced Portugal to return Portuguese land without consulting the inhabitants.

Likewise the people in Hong Kong do not consider themselves Chinese ... most Hong Kongese would rather return to being British than be Chinese. There is a growing movement for independence from China.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM

2,376 posts, read 7,052,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Strange because when Portugal was still very poor, they emigrated a lot ( France, Switzerland, Africa, Venezuela and Canada ). There should have been more Portuguese emigrating to Macau before since there was so much emigration before than now and especially because Macau was still Portuguese before, however, Angola and Mocambique are not colonies any more but there are still Portuguese going there up to now. I also heard, there are job vacancies for Portuguese in Timor.

Anyway, I don't know if there will really be more in Macau in the near future, but in the Portuguese Embassy for so many times that I was there, I can say out of 50 people trying to get passports/ ID or other documents, only 3-5 are Portuguese, maybe 3 Africans while the rest are Macanese.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
They are not from Portugal and their ethnicity is not Portuguese. They are Indians from Goa and they didn't grow up in Portugal but in Goa. That time when I met them, they also just got there, so it amazed me that they speak fluent Portuguese.
I know about Portuguese people being fluent in their language no matter where they are from.
Thank you for clarifying that. But there will always be a lingering older generation that reflects an earlier cultural attribute, which nearly always diminishes through attrition. Officially, according to the Indian census, fewer than 4% of the population of the State of Goa list Portuguese as their principal language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa#Languages
Many, of course, CAN still speak Portuguese, but few do with any regularity. And of course, if they resettle in Portugal, they will resume daily use of the language.

To be sure, there have been a few cases where a language is able to survive in spite of administrative changes. French in Mauritius is a good example -- it remains the principal tongue of the people, even though French colonialism was replaced there by the Brit8sh more than 200 years ago and the majority of the population are of immigrant stock from Asia. But it is unlikely that Macao's Portuguese will follow that model.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
They are not Chinese, they are Macanese. Nobody asked them if they wanted to be Chinese, the Chicoms forced Portugal to return Portuguese land without consulting the inhabitants.

Likewise the people in Hong Kong do not consider themselves Chinese ... most Hong Kongese would rather return to being British than be Chinese. There is a growing movement for independence from China.
Not true. Some mainland Chinese want to be Americans/Canadians/British/... too, but that does not represent the population. Many people in Macau and Hong Kong dislike China government, so do people in mainland China. However, most of them consider themselves Chinese.

If you can read Chinese you may visit their local websites. When they bash mainland Chinese, they use the word 大陸人 (mainlanders) or 內地人 (inlanders), but they don't attack 中國人 (Chinese) because they also accept the title, except for some extremists.

During the Olympic games, I visited some Hong Kong forums and all of them support team China, not Britain.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

They can be in denial all they want... doesn't change the fact that when the sun rises, they're still Chinese.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
For what it's worth, from my experience in Macao, more people understand English than Portuguese. Since I knew a bit of Portuguese when I was there, and can't recall ever using it. And maybe even more speak Tagalog.

This chart appears on the Wikipage on Macao:

Residents' usual
language spoken at home
Language Percentage of
population
Cantonese 85.7%
Other forms of Chinese 6.7%
Portuguese 0.6%
Mandarin 3.2%
English 1.5%
Others 2.3%

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,534,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Macao will just lag a couple of decades behind Goa, in India, where you would be hard pressed to find a single person today who can speak Portuguese.

The older generation speak Portguese quite fluently. The younger generation turned their back on the Portguese language. Fueled by nationalism, the atrocities committed by the Goan Inquisition which lasted 400 yrs, lack of educational support, etc.....all of which contributed to it its lack of interest/demise.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 31,980 times
Portuguese language and culture is fading out in macau.
Chinese people in macau dislike the portuguese people. People prefer learning english than learning portuguese. Macau people knows Portugal is a weak country unlike China, US and UK.

Portuguese people visiting macau find the city very Chinese except the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia