Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingmanner View Post
Portuguese language and culture is fading out in macau.
Chinese people in macau dislike the portuguese people. People prefer learning english than learning portuguese. Macau people knows Portugal is a weak country unlike China, US and UK.

Portuguese people visiting macau find the city very Chinese except the history.
Quite unfair that they still carry the Portuguese nationality even without speaking the language and especially now that it doesn't belong to Portugal any more. They should just have Chinese nationality now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Macau has a much higher GDP per capita than Portugal, and does most business with mainland China. Portugal is just history.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that with the Macanese. They usually look very Chinese, generally.

That being said, there are also many Portuguese in Macau right now. I was recently in Macau, and there must be at least 100+ Portuguese restaurants quite easily, and many Portuguese people who now live in Macau. I spoke to some of them, and they were saying that with Portugal's current economy, the Portuguese population living in Macau, has really increased.

Actually, I just looked up the number of PORTUGUESE Restaurants in Macau. According to Macau Restaurant Search : Portuguese | OpenRice Hong Kong, there are 191 listings of Portuguese Restaurants in Macau.

I went to several of them, and they were loaded up with Portuguese-speaking staff, probably directly from Portugal or possibly Brazil.

I also saw a number of African students there in Macau, usually from Angola or Mozambique. Most often they were studying PORTUGUESE LAW. Apparently Macau is a popular place to study Portuguese Law for African students, and possibly Brazilian or even Portuguese students as well, perhaps.

In short, I would agree that the Macanese population isn't where the Portuguese is at. I do feel that Portuguese is alive and well in spots throughout Macau because of the University of Macau's Law programs, and because of all the Portuguese Restaurants, which I'll guess might often be Portuguese-owned.

That being said, MOST OF MACAU is predominately Chinese and Cantonese-speaking, by a large large and high numbers. But, I wouldn't be too quick to state that the Portuguese language is dead and gone in Macau, as that doesn't seem to be the case entirely. It is with the Chinese people, but the Portuguese still have a little presense throughout the city.
That's cool. Although I don't encourage colonialism per se, I see it for what it is, good and bad, and I like the fact Macau has that Portuguese heritage. From the historic architecture of the old town, the cuisine (Macanese/Portuguese and the street snacks like egg tarts, milk pudding) and even the language. I went there for a day and unfortunately did not really see meet many Portuguese/Macanese people, so I assumed the presence was shrinking, but interesting to hear it's growing.

Also interesting to learn that Portuguese allowed people from Macau to have Portuguese citizenship. Does this apply to those who can't speak any Portuguese, btw? People in Hong Kong wanted to be have British nationality after the handover but it was denied.

I have no idea how many old Chinese people in Macau can speak Portuguese, it would be interesting to know.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's cool. Although I don't encourage colonialism per se, I see it for what it is, good and bad, and I like the fact Macau has that Portuguese heritage. From the historic architecture of the old town, the cuisine (Macanese/Portuguese and the street snacks like egg tarts, milk pudding) and even the language. I went there for a day and unfortunately did not really see meet many Portuguese/Macanese people, so I assumed the presence was shrinking, but interesting to hear it's growing.

Also interesting to learn that Portuguese allowed people from Macau to have Portuguese citizenship. Does this apply to those who can't speak any Portuguese, btw? People in Hong Kong wanted to be have British nationality after the handover but it was denied.

I have no idea how many old Chinese people in Macau can speak Portuguese, it would be interesting to know.
Actually, some Portuguese people I know think Macanese shouldn't carry Portuguese citizenship any more as they do not really speak the language and as Macau already belongs to China. Because they are considered Portuguese, they enjoy the benefit of being able to go anywhere without visas but it is really unfair because China already took Macau back.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Actually, some Portuguese people I know think Macanese shouldn't carry Portuguese citizenship any more as they do not really speak the language and as Macau already belongs to China. Because they are considered Portuguese, they enjoy the benefit of being able to go anywhere without visas but it is really unfair because China already took Macau back.
Is Portuguese citizenship extended to the Cantonese speaking majority?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Is Portuguese citizenship extended to the Cantonese speaking majority?
I think so. Everytime I go to the Portuguese embassy in Macau, I do not really hear a Macanese speaking Portuguese to the Portuguese workers.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think so. Everytime I go to the Portuguese embassy in Macau, I do not really hear a Macanese speaking Portuguese to the Portuguese workers.
Interesting. Are there a lot of Macanese (does that apply to all people from Macau or just the Macanese 'ethnicity'?) in Portugal of Chinese ancestry? Or Brazil?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Are there a lot of Macanese (does that apply to all people from Macau or just the Macanese 'ethnicity'?) in Portugal of Chinese ancestry? Or Brazil?
Actually I think Macanese is really a mix of Portuguese and Chinese from Macau but I don't really know what to call the pure Chinese people from Macau.
I only know one Macanese in Portugal...I don't think there are many there because this person that I know doesn't really know so many people, there are probably even more mixed Portuguese Filipinos who were born in Macau and are residing in Portugal. I don't see any Chinese influence except for some Chinese restaurants and Chinese stores selling different things. There are many Brasilians in Portugal and you can see their influence in Portugal in many things like Novelas, food, songs, dance ( Samba ), carnival, pastries etc.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-22-2014 at 02:39 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Like Spanish in the Filippines, French in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, and Dutch in Indonesia, Portuguese in Macau is more of a novelty spoken by a very tiny percentage of the community.
French is spoken in Vietnam. Cambodia and Laos speak it but usually the older generations. Cambodia and Laos have visible French influences other than just the languages. Vietnam retains heavier connections with French culture and influences. A French Creole dialect is spoken in Vietnam. Many sizable portions of the Vietnamese people and populations are practicing devout Roman Catholics as well.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's like you want Filipinos to be the only Latin Asians. Stop hating. Most Filipinos can't speak Spanish, therefore Spain should stop giving them citizenship
Many Filippinos do speak Spanish or understand some of it.

Filippinos are very Spanish influenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia