U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I went to Macau, although there are lots of signs in Portugese, you mostly heard people speaking Cantonese or English. After getting out of the historical colonial districts of the Peninsula, it felt like most of the middle-class areas of Guangzhou. The supermarkets had some Portugese wine, candies, and alcohol, but otherwise it was mostly Chinese stuff - contrasted with HK, which is much more thoroughly international.

I've only been once... would love to go back and spend a few more days and get a more nuanced opinion of it.
Unlike HK, Macau has only 350k people - which is a small town by Chinese standard. And it was never an international city like HK is. It is just a matter of time (and won't take long) before Macau becomes completely Chinese. Certain part of Toronto and Vancouver are dominated by the Chinese, let alone tiny Macau which is IN China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not so sure --- I think the CPP always prefers a homogenous culture instead of encouraging cultural diversity. The central government does not want any region have too strong an indentity because that always comes at a risk of separatist movement, and this probably is especially true for Macau and HK which were under foreign rule for a century and are already somewhat different.

I actually support the idea of using Macau as a bridge to connect to the Portuguese speaking world, that of course is something beijing would say because it sounds reasonable, but I don't see that happening. The influence of Portugal will eventually die out.
Yep, they are saying it....and it is logical, economically.

On the other hand, China does NOTHING to encourage anything Portugual-related. Zero, zero, zero. It is just something they say, but actions seem to be the opposite.

That being said, it is in their policy...in their future plans...i.e. that Chinese will go to Macau...learn Portuguese from the universities, and that's about the extent of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Really? Isn't Macau covered by the Chinese law even after transferring from Portugal to China?
It remains under Portuguese Law for 50 years since it was handed back to China. It was handed back about 15 years ago, with about 35 years still to go...

Macau is a popular place to study Portuguese Law....and anyone in Macau who wants to work for the gov't is required to study Portuguese.

yeah, Macau is basically the same as Hong Kong...in its relationship with China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I went to Macau, although there are lots of signs in Portugese, you mostly heard people speaking Cantonese or English. After getting out of the historical colonial districts of the Peninsula, it felt like most of the middle-class areas of Guangzhou. The supermarkets had some Portugese wine, candies, and alcohol, but otherwise it was mostly Chinese stuff - contrasted with HK, which is much more thoroughly international.

I've only been once... would love to go back and spend a few more days and get a more nuanced opinion of it.
Hong Kong is significantly more international...significantly so.

But, Macau is kind of 'Asian/Portugal' international...without much American at all. Basically, people in Macau have to import a lot, much like Hong Kong does, but Macau focuses on Portugal, Japan, South Korea, and southeast Asia.

As a person who lived in Japan and Korea for years, it's interesting that I can easily find every Japanese and Korean product I ever knew from living in those countries. American products are hard to come by though, and I travel to Hong Kong for them. Portuguese wines, beer, and alcohol appear to be in many places, and I think most Portuguese would probably know where to find most things Portuguese-related in Macau. Since I'm largely unfamiliar with such products, I have no clue what is missing or not.

It's also funny when I meet Chinese and they claim that Macau is ultra-international...like shocking to them. LIke you, because I see so few American stuff, it doesnt' appear international at all. Many Chinese think its really international because all of the many chinese restaurants and cuisines come from throughout all of China...including Taiwanese, Singaporean, and such...making them think its international, in the China mind.

In short, it's kind of very international, and kind of not at all, at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Unlike HK, Macau has only 350k people - which is a small town by Chinese standard. And it was never an international city like HK is. It is just a matter of time (and won't take long) before Macau becomes completely Chinese. Certain part of Toronto and Vancouver are dominated by the Chinese, let alone tiny Macau which is IN China.
650,000 people live in Macau, including myself.

Actually its 'kind of' international. It's also not at all international at the same time. Being one of many foreigners here, it is very comfortable as a non-Chinese person, with a lot to offer as a foreigner. At the same time, the gov't of Macau seems to not be aware of our existence at all, and that is quite obvious. It seems to be mostly focused on the needs and interests of Beijing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,618,319 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Dragon View Post
So, I think it's no strange that Portuguese is fading out. I'd suggest Macauese students not waste time on learning Portuguese, but learn Chinese and English.
They already do anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, they are saying it....and it is logical, economically.

On the other hand, China does NOTHING to encourage anything Portugual-related. Zero, zero, zero. It is just something they say, but actions seem to be the opposite.

That being said, it is in their policy...in their future plans...i.e. that Chinese will go to Macau...learn Portuguese from the universities, and that's about the extent of it.
Of course the CCP will say sweet things that make sense, but they only do things that make them feel more secure.

China's central government doesn't even like the popularity of Chinese dialects, of course they can't tolerate too much portuguese influence in Macau. China doesn't like multi-culture. In an ideal world, Beijing would see every Chinese talk the same language and share the same culture and faith (or the lack of it).

Unlike HK, Macau is very tame and never caused any trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
650,000 people live in Macau, including myself.

Actually its 'kind of' international. It's also not at all international at the same time. Being one of many foreigners here, it is very comfortable as a non-Chinese person, with a lot to offer as a foreigner. At the same time, the gov't of Macau seems to not be aware of our existence at all, and that is quite obvious. It seems to be mostly focused on the needs and interests of Beijing.
Maybe you are used to it. About 96% of the population in Macau speak various Chinese dialects as the native language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course the CCP will say sweet things that make sense, but they only do things that make them feel more secure.

China's central government doesn't even like the popularity of Chinese dialects, of course they can't tolerate too much portuguese influence in Macau. China doesn't like multi-culture. In an ideal world, Beijing would see every Chinese talk the same language and share the same culture and faith (or the lack of it).

Unlike HK, Macau is very tame and never caused any trouble.
I think Beijing is more irked by Cantonese than Portuguese though.

Most of the language policies are between Cantonese and Mandarin....I don't think there is any conflict at all between Mandarin and Portuguese for Macau. Beijing could care less about whatever Portuguese is here, particularly since most Chinese can't speak or read it anyways.

That being said, Portuguese is here in Macau though, just not used or known by many Chinese-speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
 
211 posts, read 121,674 times
Reputation: 177
Portuguese will die out in Macau, pretty much like English in Hong Kong. Even in the US and Canada it is very common to find Chinese people being incapable of uttering 2 words in English. I find hard to believe they acculturate that much while in their land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top