Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,723,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Plenty of other Asian nations, e.g. the Four Asian Tigers, developed without destroying their environment. China's political and economic systems are somewhat efficient, but inherently corrupt hence their worse conditions.

India is a bureaucratic and infrastructure mess so not a great example. On my first trip to Asia I think I will be skipping both these countries......
Taipei was/is awfully polluted as well, so are Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila and Jakarta.

Beijing is truly bad; but New Delhi, Mexico City, Cairo and St. Paul are no better. The media does not give other cities the same attention.

Japan may be good; however Japan is already post-industrialized and it does not make sense to compare Japan with China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,723,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It’s not just the expats, but the Chinese themselves who are leaving—if they can afford it—and migrating to America. It’s a huge intellectual and economic drain that will only get bigger if they don’t address the pollution issue.

China
Chinese always want to move to America, with or without pollution.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,736,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Plenty of other Asian nations, e.g. the Four Asian Tigers, developed without destroying their environment. China's political and economic systems are somewhat efficient, but inherently corrupt hence their worse conditions.

India is a bureaucratic and infrastructure mess so not a great example. On my first trip to Asia I think I will be skipping both these countries......
Well Singapore is like mostly urban (although has surprising amounts of forest, almost none of it virgin) and all did damage the environment during progress (like all developed countries).

That's a real pity, as India and China are the largest and most influential nations in Asia. Both influenced the rest of Asia in their own way.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 AM

89 posts, read 202,095 times
It is fact that due to its poor air quality, haze in Beijing is very serious.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM

38 posts, read 85,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
China is an ecological basket case. There is not one area of the country with clean air, water or soil. The government lacks the will to do anything about it because the leaders are in cahoots with the powerful interests doing the damage and they are all making a fortune by raping the country. And of course, their kids are all overseas or can easily go. It's the common people who will pay the price.

China is not as bad as you say, anyways "There is not one area of the country with clean air, water or soil" is brainless. I don't think you've been everywhere of China.

Say objectively, most big cities in China have bad environment, so as North China.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,058,877 times
People always love to say how pollution gets worse, but my experience is the opposite. When I was in China during the winter in 2011 nearly every day was polluted. Today the sky is blue and it was blue yesterday too.

Also statistics show a drop in the number of polluted days in Beijing. I would love more action to deal with pollution, but I really think China is going in the right direction.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,082,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
As Beijing air pollution worsens, some American expats clear out - latimes.com

wow- I had no idea air quality in Beijing is this bad.
I'm surprised you haven't heard the air quality is bad in Beijing. It's been well-known for at least a decade.

Typical with most news stories though, the JOURNALIST assumes that suddenly Beijing air quality got bad, and suddenly SOME American expats clear out. As if those expats had no idea the air quality was bad, read it on the news or something, and suddenly decided it was an overnight disaster and cleared out. Not the reality whatsover.

Actually, I know a large number of expats in Beijing, many who aren't going anywhere. There are always expats coming and going though. The ones who are living there, just accept that downside, even though of course no one really wants that. Some leave Beijing, for a multitude of reasons though, but just the same, many come and replace the ones that left, just the same.

Anyone going into living in Beijing, unless they are really a super clueless type, knows that pollution is part of the Beijing scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia