U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most Tolerant Asian Country?
Turkey 2 3.64%
Israel 5 9.09%
Nepal 0 0%
India 2 3.64%
Thailand 18 32.73%
Laos 0 0%
Cambodia 1 1.82%
Vietnam 1 1.82%
Philippines 12 21.82%
Taiwan 4 7.27%
South Korea 4 7.27%
Japan 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Where is China on the list? well when it comes to drugs I would say ethnic Chinese. Most drug lords or drug dealer that they always caught in the Philippines are ethnic Chinese.
It's very sad that there is so much corruption in the Philippines that Police or some people are being bought that's why many ( like 15 ) Chinese drug dealers from China were able escape while 3 Filipinos who were caught in China last last year were sentenced to death right away. Those 15 drug dealers should have also been sentenced to death right away.
It's unbelievable that they were able to get away.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-27-2013 at 02:53 AM..

 
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Woodbridge, VA
82 posts, read 202,071 times
Reputation: 36
Exclude the drug issue, I'd say Singapore. But it's not on the list.
 
Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Where is China on the list? well when it comes to drugs I would say ethnic Chinese. Most drug lords or drug dealer that they always caught in the Philippines are ethnic Chinese.
The question is not about ethnicity, but which country. Most of the ethnic Chinese countries are among the most intolerant towards drug dealers. Both China and Singapore have the death penalty for drug dealers.

I would have said the Philippines is more tolerant, but then again, I won't now since your comments are among the most racist I have ever read in this forum.

Again, you are clueless if you ever think that mainland Chinese, HK Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese, Singaporean Chinese, Filipino Chinese, etc. behave and think the same way.
 
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
Exclude the drug issue, I'd say Singapore. But it's not on the list.
Under some cirsumstances, even oral sex could be illegal in Singapore.

It's the second least free country in Asia when it comes to personal freedom, don't forget that Singapore is influenced by Muslim culture. However, it's pretty free for business.

Last edited by Ag77845; 06-29-2013 at 10:42 PM..
 
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
Reputation: 2031
Does Thailand, Bangkok in particular, really have a "anything goes" vibe to it. Based on what I've read, I wouldn't describe Thailand as necessarily being tolerant. Apathetic would probably be a more accurate term.
 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
 
3,110 posts, read 3,342,349 times
Reputation: 1731
Cambodia is pretty tolerant although corrupt. Most things go. Not forgetting an increasingly number of foreigners moving there.

Thailand seems to be getting less foreign friendly. Their visa doesn't encourage long term stay as does Cambo and Laos.
 
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Under some cirsumstances, even oral sex could be illegal in Singapore.

It's the second least free country in Asia when it comes to personal freedom, don't forget that Singapore is influenced by Muslim culture. However, it's pretty free for business.

So far off the mark its laughable. You want people to take you seriously when you first recommend China as the most tolerant Asian country (which is ludicrous by the way) because even though the government is tough the people are nice and tolerant. Then a few posts later you say because of the government of Singapore its the 2nd least free country in Asia. OK w/e.

I say Singapore is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia, easily. Japan might be #1.

Drugs = big no-no.
LGBT = not recognized, gay male sex illegal (not enforced), changing gender is legal, marriage not recognized.
Prostitution = legal and regulated
Religion = one of the most tolerant places I have been where jews, christians, muslims, hindu and more live peacefully and celebrate each others holidays.
Race = very diverse and tolerant
Human rights = Singapore scores low here on most lists because of execution, caning, and the broad power of the government to restrict certain speech.

In a general sense if you wanna bang a prostitute (not vouching for quality, just availability lol), not worry about discrimination because of race or religion and are a law abiding sensible person then Singapore will be one of the best countries you could visit. On the other hand, your stay will not be so great if you are a rabble rouser, drug user or criminal as the penalties are severe and enforcement is strong.
 
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Reputation: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
So far off the mark its laughable. You want people to take you seriously when you first recommend China as the most tolerant Asian country (which is ludicrous by the way) because even though the government is tough the people are nice and tolerant. Then a few posts later you say because of the government of Singapore its the 2nd least free country in Asia. OK w/e.

I say Singapore is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia, easily. Japan might be #1.

Drugs = big no-no.
LGBT = not recognized, gay male sex illegal (not enforced), changing gender is legal, marriage not recognized.
Prostitution = legal and regulated
Religion = one of the most tolerant places I have been where jews, christians, muslims, hindu and more live peacefully and celebrate each others holidays.
Race = very diverse and tolerant
Human rights = Singapore scores low here on most lists because of execution, caning, and the broad power of the government to restrict certain speech.

In a general sense if you wanna bang a prostitute (not vouching for quality, just availability lol), not worry about discrimination because of race or religion and are a law abiding sensible person then Singapore will be one of the best countries you could visit. On the other hand, your stay will not be so great if you are a rabble rouser, drug user or criminal as the penalties are severe and enforcement is strong.
They can throw you in jail for watching porn and smoking a joint in your OWN house.
It's impossible for me to call a country with those rules tolerant.
Don't forget it's illegal in Singapore to chew gum in public
 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
So far off the mark its laughable. You want people to take you seriously when you first recommend China as the most tolerant Asian country (which is ludicrous by the way) because even though the government is tough the people are nice and tolerant. Then a few posts later you say because of the government of Singapore its the 2nd least free country in Asia. OK w/e.

I say Singapore is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia, easily. Japan might be #1.

Drugs = big no-no.
LGBT = not recognized, gay male sex illegal (not enforced), changing gender is legal, marriage not recognized.
Prostitution = legal and regulated
Religion = one of the most tolerant places I have been where jews, christians, muslims, hindu and more live peacefully and celebrate each others holidays.
Race = very diverse and tolerant
Human rights = Singapore scores low here on most lists because of execution, caning, and the broad power of the government to restrict certain speech.

In a general sense if you wanna bang a prostitute (not vouching for quality, just availability lol), not worry about discrimination because of race or religion and are a law abiding sensible person then Singapore will be one of the best countries you could visit. On the other hand, your stay will not be so great if you are a rabble rouser, drug user or criminal as the penalties are severe and enforcement is strong.
I know China, especially Chinese government is infamous. But really, Chinese government doesn't care about your personal life. Not much political freedom because they won't let anyone to undermine their absolute power.

Also, I didn't say China is the most tolerant country in Asia, I just wanted to remind people that China is kind of tolerant, way better than Singapore at least. I agree with many people here that Thailand is very tolerant, or indifferent if that's the way you view it.

People who are not familiar with Asia have the illusion that Singapore is free for several reason:
1.Singapore is a developed city, developed world should be tolerant. This is not true.
2.Singapore is an ally of the U.S, some people naively believe US is the greatest country and all friends of the US automatically are great tolerant countries.
3.Singapore is open to international business.

Singapore is close to middle east Arabic world when it comes to personal freedom. They want to get into your bedroom, and "misbehavior" can lead to corporal punishment. Look at which countries still practice judicial corporal punishment.

File:Map of judicial corporal punishment.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 PM
 
141 posts, read 172,559 times
Reputation: 50
Phillippines by far

Thailand?! Just don't insult their state religion or their king/president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top