U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,598,803 times

Advertisements

Attached is a photograph of my father taken on a beach in Okinawa in the 1960's. Does anyone who lives on Okinawa or is familiar with the beaches there recognize where this was shot?

And if you happen to be on Okinawa I would love to see a photograph of that same location today taken form the same perspective. "Then and now" photographs are a little hobby of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify beach in Okinawa-dad_beach_okinawa.jpg  

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 06-28-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
I went down to Naha a couple years ago, and that COULD be this beach...it's right in NAHA, which is a small city, but the biggest city in Okinawa. There are also quite a few military bases around, and it looks like you Dad is in the miltiary as well. I saw a number of military personnel at this beach as well.

If it is the same one, and I'm not 100% sure it is, there is now a highway that was built that somewhat goes over it....somewhat. Still lots of people there, even if you can't see it that well from this particular photo.

It might not be the same place though. The rock formation looks a little different, but I think I would have been at a different angle, with a different perspective, so a bit difficult to say adequately. It is in Naha Okinawa though, so who knows.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify beach in Okinawa-naha.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,598,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I went down to Naha a couple years ago, and that COULD be this beach...it's right in NAHA, which is a small city, but the biggest city in Okinawa. There are also quite a few military bases around, and it looks like you Dad is in the miltiary as well. I saw a number of military personnel at this beach as well.

If it is the same one, and I'm not 100% sure it is, there is now a highway that was built that somewhat goes over it....somewhat. Still lots of people there, even if you can't see it that well from this particular photo.

It might not be the same place though. The rock formation looks a little different, but I think I would have been at a different angle, with a different perspective, so a bit difficult to say adequately. It is in Naha Okinawa though, so who knows.
Thanks for the photo. I don't believe that is the same beach but like you said it could have been from a different angle and lots of things can change in 40 years.

Yeah my father was in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed at the air base there on Okinawa. He also worked on the island of Miyako so the beach in my photo could have been there as well.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,956,852 times
Could be Emerald Beach.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 875 times
Default Looks like White beach.

When I was there, there were many small holes notched out in the cliffs. I climbed up into one and there was an urn with bowls of rice. I got outta there fast.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,820,006 times
I was there in the 60's also. USMC. Don't think it's where we used to go though. White Beach was on the east coast where we used to get aboard ships to deploy. Not many rocks there that I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or