U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,264 times

Advertisements

The times I have been you cannot get a decent hotel in a good location for under 150. Closer to 200. Yes you can find some places that are nice by Narita for much cheaper. Yes you can find a trashy place or a sardine can to stay in for much cheaper. What a terrible way to spend your vacation. Just save the money and get a good hotel in a good location and be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
The times I have been you cannot get a decent hotel in a good location for under 150. Closer to 200. Yes you can find some places that are nice by Narita for much cheaper. Yes you can find a trashy place or a sardine can to stay in for much cheaper. What a terrible way to spend your vacation. Just save the money and get a good hotel in a good location and be comfortable.
I've stayed at Hostels all over the world..Asia, America, Europe.. They were all fine. Especially for that price.
Of course, if you want to spend your vacation in the room, then you should get a nice and overpriced Hotel.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Of course, if you want to spend your vacation in the room, then you should get a nice and overpriced Hotel.
Lol, seriously I don't know why people say this. Its not about spending your days in a hotel room, its about being comfortable. If I am gonna be spending 1/3rd of my total time (8hrs out of 24) in a room in a foreign country then you can be assured it will be in comfort. Doesn't have to be extravagent but I and most people will readily pay the higher cost for the added comfort and location.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM

16 posts, read 34,082 times
I think the OP is about right in his estimate

Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Wait, you might want to put more into food/entertainment.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,600 times
I spent about $1,500 for ticket during high season. From NYC. If you are from the West Coast maybe it will be a bit cheaper.
Hotel; I spent 6 days for about $1,000
Money for food and souvenirs $2,000 (this is because I shopped like a maniac (so many awesome stuff) and ate whatever exotic, weird (and cute looking) food available there- the price can be reduced)

Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM

I think 1500 is a lay over from NY and 2000 is nonstop

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Personally I think that hostels are overrated. But then again my wife and I like having intimate moments and privacy that you can't get in a hostel. If you're single and don't mind sharing a room, sure, it's great. But you can easily find business hotels that have a very reasonable rate for a bare-bones room. Some have saunas and japanese baths, this past year I stayed in a business hotel in Kyoto for $150 a night and it came with a Japanese style breakfast, it had a Japanese style bath and it was well appointed, if small and a bit claustrophobic. I'm sure you could find even cheaper if you plan months ahead.

For food, eat all the wacky and Japanese native things. Eat the sushi. Eat the uni rolls (bleh but glad I tried it!). Try the maid cafe. The good news about eating in restaurants, no tipping! And you're bound to need to shop for friends and family who want souvenirs. Budget a couple hundred for them and get some small snacks and other stuff (like a Japanese wall scroll or something).

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I spent about $1,500 for ticket during high season. From NYC. If you are from the West Coast maybe it will be a bit cheaper.
I think you're right. It probably is a bit cheaper from the West Coast. Of course, it also depends on what kind of seating you want. My wife flew to BKK with about a 90-minute layover at the airport in Narita to refuel. R/T airfare to PDX from BKK was about $1100 with Delta (economy class). That was April-May which is somewhat past the high season for Thailand. I don't know what R/T airfare to Japan would be, but I would think it's likely to be much cheaper than the fare all the way to BKK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia