U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,201,714 times

Advertisements

if anything China is not the first. I believe 60% of Singapore population is expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM

2,704 posts, read 4,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I don't think that folks have the "desire" to move to China, unless serious rules/regulations changes take place. The lack of free speech other issues is in the minds of potential immigrants.
Exactly, and the living conditions are not that great, even in the more developed cities. It's just not a very nice place to be- it's cool to visit because it's so different, but it would not be a great place for most to try to live. And due to the issue with living conditions since it is still a developing country, the only immigrants that would likely try to go there in any decent numbers would be ones from poorer countries- China would not have any desire for that type of immigration anyway.
My wife is from there, still has family back there so we go to visit once in a while. It is over crowded, and so even if their population does decline a bit, they would have no desire to open up to immigration. They don't need the extra people, and are not friendly to outsiders, at least not in sharing their country with them in more than a "visitor" type of situation.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times
Quote:
I don't think that folks have the "desire" to move to China, unless serious rules/regulations changes take place. The lack of free speech other issues is in the minds of potential immigrants.
Contrary to hardwired and baked in American mythology, people don't really care if they have so-called "free speech" when they emigrate. They just want jobs and wages and opportunity. I think China already feels significant pressure from Vietnamese, probably with some illegal immigration, and there isn't a lot of free speech down there, either, and it already has a much denser population than China.

Do you think Mexicans come to America for "free speech" or anything else mentioned in the Bill of Rights?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think wealthy Chinese will shop for wives outside of China due to the imbalance and this will be a small immigration factor.
I could see that too. That's already happening to South Korea. There is absurdly large amount of non-Korean wives who've married into the culture, just within the last 15 years or so.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't think so... It is very very hard to get a visa in China. It is not hard to get a tourist visa but working is pretty hard. They don't really hire just anyone for any profession. It's not like other emigrant countries that anyone can work as a waiter, hotel staff, plumber, nurse, doctor , sales people, cashiers etc. Of course there are foreigners but they were usually hired from their home countries to work in muti national companies, also to work as teachers and some doing trade. Too much paper work too, it gets tiring after awhile.
It's also really hard for Filipinos/Pakistanis/Africans/etc. to get visas just to visit countries like Japan, South Korea, United States, etc.

Yet, they all attract their share of 'illegals' coming in nontheless.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
China is actually not that big, relative to its population. Half of its land is not suitable for human habitation. That's why most of China's 1.3 billion people are crowded along the coasts, making cities like Shenzhen and Tianjin more dense than places like Singapore or Tokyo. For this reason I can't see China ever becoming an immigrant nation.

Oh and there's the whole communism and lack of free speech or human rights stuff too.
I can see other reasons why not, but I don't necessarily understand this one. Unless your argument is that immigrant populations don't like crowded places? But, that seems contrary to exactly where most immigrants tend to gravitate towards.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Countries that are already multicultural in southeast Asia such as Malaysia and Singapore are/were already immigrant nations, so China wouldn't be the first.
I don't think either of those countries are true 'immigrant countries' though.

They were both just basically British colonies, and the British moved around Chinese and Indian into Malaysia/Singapore. So, it seems to be more remnants of that. That being said, both are still attracting both Indians and CHinese. But I don't readily think of other huge ethnic enclaves like I'd think with London or New York or Toronto and such.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
There are already large numbers descending on China. The business opportunities alone. I've been consistently seeing a large influx of people extremely interested in studying Mandarin, and trying to catch that wave of cash that's coming from China in the present and well into the future.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM

22,231 posts, read 23,751,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't think either of those countries are true 'immigrant countries' though.

They were both just basically British colonies, and the British moved around Chinese and Indian into Malaysia/Singapore. So, it seems to be more remnants of that. That being said, both are still attracting both Indians and CHinese. But I don't readily think of other huge ethnic enclaves like I'd think with London or New York or Toronto and such.
The British didn't move them around--they just enabled economic migrants to go to Malaysia and Singapore because they had a need for labor. This isn't the same thing as the transatlantic slave trade which was involuntary trading of people for forced labor, and is pretty similar to modern day economic migration. That being said, even if you wanted to discount the colonial past, there's still the fact that they have definitely been attracting large scale immigration in recent decades both with the smallish wealthy expat population as well as foreign laborers from neighboring countries.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,862,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's also really hard for Filipinos/Pakistanis/Africans/etc. to get visas just to visit countries like Japan, South Korea, United States, etc.

Yet, they all attract their share of 'illegals' coming in nontheless.
But it is different as Filipinos or other nationalities can do any profession in those countries you mentioned above. What can they do in China ? Filipino women cannot even work as Nannies or domestic helpers because they don't have visas for such profession. Their bosses have to pay their visas 2 times a year which is like 1,400 Euros a year. Of course there are still some wealthy Chinese who are willing to pay a huge amount of money every year and wouldn't mind sending their maids back to the Philippines twice a year as their visas are only good for 6 months so jobs for Filipino or Indonesian nannies are very small.

In America, they can work in the hospitals, stores , offices etc. In China, even in the field of teaching, it is very limited to English Native Speakers only.
So I don't see why people from different countries will be flocking China in the future when there are no jobs for them to begin with. Also, with their big population, there is really no need to hire people from different countries. That's why they only limit the people they hire, only people with expertise in fields that are lacking in China.

America is different. People can get any job plus people see future of building their lives and families. The expats in China are mostly just thinking of work but not to settle for good which is why Teachers in International Schools are always moving and usually after 2 years they leave and go to another country.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 07-03-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or