Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times

Advertisements

China has a one child policy, which is a big sacrifice for many families.
If they impose the policy on the one hand, and take lots of immigrants on the other hand, how can it be fair to Chinese people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China has a one child policy, which is a big sacrifice for many families.
If they impose the policy on the one hand, and take lots of immigrants on the other hand, how can it be fair to Chinese people?
Good point. That along with the fairly low per capita GDP will make it unlikely and unreasonable for China to become a major immigrant receiver for years if not decades to come.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:00 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
I could see it, but not for another 15 years or so. The big issue now is the younger generation (born in 90's and later) don't want to work tradional factory and low level jobs. The very poor are very uneducated and don't want to leave their hometown. Filipinos work at restaurants and bars in mainland China (HK has tons of foreign workers) and I can see other SE asian nation people migrating to China for work.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 13,428 times
I don't see it for the foreseeable future. Maybe far, far into the future when times are different. Strictly by the numbers China is trying to reduce population pressures with the one child policy. Why in the world would it allow more permanent immigrants in while the one child policy is in place as Bettafish mentioned? It would make absolutely no sense. I assume skilled workers that are needed would be accommodated through the temporary visa process. Second, I strongly believe Chinese society would not accept large scale non-Chinese immigration. It's just the way the culture is. There is a strong sense of in-group/out-group. They may be somewhat more accepting of people like Koreans or Japanese who look like other Chinese and blend in a bit better but on the whole there isn't a strong acceptance of large numbers of outsiders.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I could see it, but not for another 15 years or so. The big issue now is the younger generation (born in 90's and later) don't want to work tradional factory and low level jobs. The very poor are very uneducated and don't want to leave their hometown. Filipinos work at restaurants and bars in mainland China (HK has tons of foreign workers) and I can see other SE asian nation people migrating to China for work.
The average wage in many parts of China is probably much lower than Se Asian nations.

Hong Kong is an exception, it's weird.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
The average wage in many parts of China is probably much lower than Se Asian nations.

Hong Kong is an exception, it's weird.
Service people (waitress, cashier etc.) have a low status in China and their salary is usually in the 1500~3000 yuan range.
Factory workers are usually paid 2000~5000 yuan per month, depending on their skill.
Construction workers can make over 10000 yuan.

Generally speaking, any job is better than traditional farming.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
What would qualify as an 'immigrant nation'? I think the age of mass immigration might soon be over, as living standards increase worldwide and nationalism grows in Europe. Europe, North America and Australia attracted immigrants through high quality of life. While you can have that in China as a wealthy ex-pat, people do not usually associate China as the promised land. Interestingly, though, back in the convict era in Australia many convicts who escaped wanted to head for China because it was seen as a land of opportunity (while many Chinese were escaping the poverty.etc). Of course China is also very populated (but so is Europe) and has to deal with it's own issues. I think immigration will increase, but it will always be overwhelmingly Chinese. We might see a community of ethnically Chinese people not of non-Chinese ancestry.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What would qualify as an 'immigrant nation'? I think the age of mass immigration might soon be over, as living standards increase worldwide and nationalism grows in Europe. Europe, North America and Australia attracted immigrants through high quality of life. While you can have that in China as a wealthy ex-pat, people do not usually associate China as the promised land. Interestingly, though, back in the convict era in Australia many convicts who escaped wanted to head for China because it was seen as a land of opportunity (while many Chinese were escaping the poverty.etc). Of course China is also very populated (but so is Europe) and has to deal with it's own issues. I think immigration will increase, but it will always be overwhelmingly Chinese. We might see a community of ethnically Chinese people not of non-Chinese ancestry.

My personal definition of "immigrant nation" would be a nation that attracts outsiders for permanent or long-term residence and actually accepts the large inflow of new people. At this point China would not be attractive enough for probably the majority of the people in the world due to circumstances and Chinese citizens would probably not want this to happen anyway. I still believe even with the worldwide rise in living standards there will always be mass immigration from somewhere as development will always be uneven. Everything is all relative.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delhi Deli View Post
My personal definition of "immigrant nation" would be a nation that attracts outsiders for permanent or long-term residence and actually accepts the large inflow of new people. At this point China would not be attractive enough for probably the majority of the people in the world due to circumstances and Chinese citizens would probably not want this to happen anyway. I still believe even with the worldwide rise in living standards there will always be mass immigration from somewhere as development will always be uneven. Everything is all relative.
Well the US or Australia basically were established as immigrant nations. The natives were almost totally displaced and the vast majority of people there were recent immigrants. That has not happened in China, nor in Europe, so in that sense I don't see them as really 'immigrant' nations.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Wow. And who are these "immigrants" you are talking about wanting to move to china. China has capitalism but is still a communist political country.

All the AA race baiters in the USA would last about two days in china before beating incarcerated or put down somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia