U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think that's a symptom of the laws. Having lived in Japan and Korea for many years, I regularly see tons of long-term 'lifers'. But the respective gov'ts treat them like temporary visitors, and they often appear that way.

But, the reality is that many of those visitors are there for good and will live out the rest of their life as a Westerner in Asia.
In the school where my daughter goes, foreign teachers come and go. It's like the maximum is 2 years and they leave and try another Asian country or the middle east. Most of the time, they are not so happy with the place or with the school. The ones who stay are the ones married to Chinese women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
In the school where my daughter goes, foreign teachers come and go. It's like the maximum is 2 years and they leave and try another Asian country or the middle east. Most of the time, they are not so happy with the place or with the school. The ones who stay are the ones married to Chinese women.
Yeah, so many limits. So, yeah, they do move around a lot.

I think China is a little less desireable because of the low pay and pollution. But Westerners that land in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc....while many are just there temporary, others are there for the long-term. It just depends on the person and such. Most are temporary though.

That being said, I know some who are third generation Americans in Japan and such, and they get quite irritated with the assumption that they just arrived yesterday with most of their encounters with everything they do.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I can't imagine any economic, social, or policy trends in the near future that would lead to China having a sudden explosion of millions and millions of foreigners versus its nearly-billion-and-a-half-strong native population to the point that it would be considered as an "immigrant nation" by any metrics.
An immigrant nation really only has to be open to immigrants.

It doesn't have to be 'multi-cultural', although that often happens if a place is open to immigrants.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Singapore doesn't prohibit foreign sites on the internet.

Foreigners in the middle east are usually just there to work but not to live for good, same with many Europeans that I know, they are only in China to work and experiment for awhile but usually after two years, they go and move to other Asian countries or the middle East.
have you been to China personally? If not, how did you know?

I lived in Shanghai for quite several years and I personally know quite a few Americans living there for an extended period of time. An young American couple moved there in 2002, bought an apartment, had a little boy and have no intention of leaving Shanghai and move back to "the boring Los Angeles suburbs" (her own words). A successful American businessman who has lived in various cities in China for more than 10 years and doesn't seem to have an plan to move back to the states.

you are just kidding yourself by trying to convincing yourself that Chinese cities are so unlivable that few westerners want to live there. Many find Chinese urban life much much more interesting and exciting than the typical boring suburban life in North America where you either go to the mall or do housework during the weekends.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, so many limits. So, yeah, they do move around a lot.

I think China is a little less desireable because of the low pay and pollution. But Westerners that land in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc....while many are just there temporary, others are there for the long-term. It just depends on the person and such. Most are temporary though.
My friend who's assisted me in getting a job in China has been there for a few years now. Initially, he said it was a temporary thing, and planned on being there six months before moving on... now, he makes comments about how "the American dream is in China" and all his plans there extend years out. He's making a really good living for himself, and he's confessed that considering his income over there relative to the COL in China, it'd be difficult for him to find the same standard of living back in the 'States.

I've started hanging around some of the expat forums lately, and it seems like a lot of people hop from one nation to another, not necessarily laying down roots in any single country, but adapting to life in Asia as a whole and spending, in some cases, decades there. I'm holding judgement till I get over there, but I could see that happening to me.

Quote:
That being said, I know some who are third generation Americans in Japan and such, and they get quite irritated with the assumption that they just arrived yesterday with most of their encounters with everything they do.
When I was in my early 20's and working for a hotel in Santa Monica, they had me as a group contract for Japanese tour groups, since at the time, I was taking Japanese and had a Japanese girlfriend, so I could have a mid-level conversation with folks. I had a tour group check in, and among everyone was a young, blonde-haired blue-eyed man with a Western name, but who, as it turned out, was born and raised in Japan to second generation Euro/American-Japanese parents: his dad's parents were Americans who settled in Okinawa, and his mom's parents were Dutch missionaries. He only spoke slightly more English than the others in the tour group, had Japanese mannerisms, and had a Japanese passport that listed his nationality as "Japanese" and his birth city was one in Japan. He'd never been to the US before; I recall him saying to me, "I am so excited to see the home country of my grandfather!" and giving a slight bow while his girlfriend beamed.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
have you been to China personally? If not, how did you know?

I lived in Shanghai for quite several years and I personally know quite a few Americans living there for an extended period of time. An young American couple moved there in 2002, bought an apartment, had a little boy and have no intention of leaving Shanghai and move back to "the boring Los Angeles suburbs" (her own words). A successful American businessman who has lived in various cities in China for more than 10 years and doesn't seem to have an plan to move back to the states.

you are just kidding yourself by trying to convincing yourself that Chinese cities are so unlivable that few westerners want to live there. Many find Chinese urban life much much more interesting and exciting than the typical boring suburban life in North America where you either go to the mall or do housework during the weekends.
I am presently living in China.
My daughter goes to an International School that is how I got to know a lot of foreign teachers who keep moving in and out and usually in a maximum of 2 years and it is because they realize after the differences of China and other countries ( Chinese' idea of space, no total freedom on the internet, kids constantly getting sick, paperworks regarding visas and housing that needs to be ipdated every year etc. )
So if you know 2 Westerners not wanting to leave doesn't mean all Westerners want the same as well. I know a Canadian teacher who is even married to a Chinese girl but constantly whinning so now he moved back to Canada with his wife and kid. Try looking for teaching jobs in International Schools and you will see there are always vacancies because foreign teachers come and go, many leave after two years. That doesn't happen so much in the Philippines where many foreign teachers usually stay because of ( language, Western lifestyle ).
Why do you think that only your words are reliable ? I am not going to say anything if I don't have any basis or if I have never been to China no ?

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-17-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
China seems more interesting to live in than the Phils. Tbh the culture of the Philippines is one of the less interesting in Asia, a lot of them seem like they're wannabe Hispanics.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
China seems more interesting to live in than the Phils. Tbh the culture of the Philippines is one of the less interesting in Asia, a lot of them seem like they're wannabe Hispanics.
Because they are, if you know the culture and history of Filipinas.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanidad

Frankly, we do not really care if outsiders find our culture less interesting. What matters to us is that we are unique in Asia because we are the only predominantly Catholic country in Asia, we don't practice Buddhism like most Asian countries and that we have a very different culture, customs and traditions different from the rest of Asia.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-18-2013 at 12:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Philippines do not speak Spanish. They are not Hispanic.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Philippines do not speak Spanish. They are not Hispanic.
Okay I am not going to argue with you anymore as we will just go in circles, it's obvious you do not have any clue about the history of the Philippines and your knowledge about hispanicity is very limited.
Okay appeal that to the headquarters in Madrid jajaja
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or