Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM

155 posts, read 165,398 times

Advertisements

How is the situation today?

Has anyone lived in one of those countries? How are the nightclubs (nightlife) in there? I mean i imagine very few women and a lot of competition :O

I remember reading year ago that the number was unbalanced that some mothers would stand in some park with photos of their sons looking trying to find a girl for him ( i know that this must be far from the truth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Has anyone lived in one of those countries? How are the nightclubs (nightlife) in there? I mean i imagine very few women and a lot of competition :O
Sure the competition is intense for natives, but much less so for foreigners.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
It's a definite issue in several countries in the region. I can only speak of South Korea from personal experience; but from what I understand,Taiwan and Japan (to a lesser extent) are experiencing the same thing.

It's been happening for a couple of decades, and is reaching a point in which it has several societal consequences. In South Korea, for example, there is a significant increase in the number of imported brides; mostly from Vietnam, Thailand, and rural China. This makes for some degree of social discomfort in a fairly insular society. It also allows women to be far more selective in choosing a mate.

It's largely a confluence of three factors. Firstly, these are very high-tech societies, so determining the sex of a fetus early in the pregnancy is a simple and inexpensive procedure which is available to virtually all women. Secondly, abortion is readily available and doesn't carry the kind of social discord common in The United States. Lastly, there remains a traditional cultural preference for male offspring.

The result is that the natural birth ratios are being affected, leading to fewer girls being born. This has a multiplying effect since it means that there are fewer and fewer women to bear children in successive generations.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Really, I didn't think these countries had the same gender imbalance as China. At least, I didn't notice it in Taiwan or HK. They're less traditional and more urban and women are well represented in the workforce. In some ways Taiwan is more gender equal than the west and I noticed as many young women as men. I suspect many men look to vietnam for wives for the same reason westerners look to eastern europe, asia or Latin america rather than anything demographic.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Really, I didn't think these countries had the same gender imbalance as China. At least, I didn't notice it in Taiwan or HK. They're less traditional and more urban and women are well represented in the workforce. In some ways Taiwan is more gender equal than the west and I noticed as many young women as men. I suspect many men look to vietnam for wives for the same reason westerners look to eastern europe, asia or Latin america rather than anything demographic.
Here's an interview with Mara Hvistendahl, author of a book entitled Unnatural Selection. She points out how the tendency is spreading throughout much of the more developed areas of Asia.

The women shortage - The Interview - Macleans.ca

Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Here's an interview with Mara Hvistendahl, author of a book entitled Unnatural Selection. She points out how the tendency is spreading throughout much of the more developed areas of Asia.

The women shortage - The Interview - Macleans.ca
Tendency spreading? More like the reverse. The west was no different not long ago with the preference for sons. There might be a brief period where age old tra#itionalism coincides with easy abortion, but on the whole, the economic status or women is rising throughout east Asia. I'm not sure how familiar the author is with taiwan, but I can probably find age pyramids stats for taiwan that closely mirror anywhere else in the developed world. On my phone now so will look it up later.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
How is the situation today?

I remember reading year ago that the number was unbalanced that some mothers would stand in some park with photos of their sons looking trying to find a girl for him ( i know that this must be far from the truth)
In China, (educated) young people usually do not go to night clubs at all. When I was in college, my friends and I never went to any club. In fact, girls in those places are considered slutty (although not necessarily true) and they tend to be gold diggers or bored "mature women".

However, young people do go to places like Karaoke house with friends, and sometimes people get to know each other there.

In China, parents do help their children find a spouse, including participating in some "matching events". However it is not limited to men. They help their daughter that way too. You heard of the word "sheng nü"剩女 (leftover ladies)?

In China, usually urban people marry urban people only, and there is little gender imbalance. In rural areas, it is a problem, especially for those who are very poor. But high divorce rates help.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
China is actually an "apartheid" society. City residents and peasants have very different benefits/rights and their identity is written on their documents (hukou).

Many social problems, including gender imbalance are only found among peasants. Usually the two groups do not marry each other, unless a peasant changes his identity (the police stations take care of that). There are not many ways for peasants to change the identity. The easiest way is to obtain a college degree. Marrying a city resident alone does not help.

In old days, the government determined how much food a city resident can have. Peasants did not have that (and were subject to starvation when things went wrong).

Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
As a foreigner, you won't even notice the gender imbalance.

It's only a problem for a young Chinese guy, who is 20 years old, and has a dating range of 18-20 year olds, and competing with his peers.

Some white guy from Australia or somewhere, will probably be 35 or 40 (with a dating range of 20-40 year olds); and probably be of more wealth or income-generating capablities than your average Chinese person.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Tendency spreading? More like the reverse. The west was no different not long ago with the preference for sons. There might be a brief period where age old tra#itionalism coincides with easy abortion, but on the whole, the economic status or women is rising throughout east Asia. I'm not sure how familiar the author is with taiwan, but I can probably find age pyramids stats for taiwan that closely mirror anywhere else in the developed world. On my phone now so will look it up later.
This is from The Taipei Times two years ago:

Taiwan?s gender balance worsening as more parents abort female fetuses - Taipei Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia