U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is the average Chinese person basically as well off as the average North American, Australian or European now? Or are we only talking about a quarter of the population or so who have money and the rest still live in relative poverty?

I remember it wasn't long ago the average Chinese person only made $3,000 a year. I think now it's something like $7K or $8K but considering rent, food etc is cheaper there that's probably not much worse than a working class or minimum wage American!

What European or New World country would you compare China to economically? It is similar to Mexico or Argentina or would you put more in the category of say Spain or Italy in terms of wealth?
No China is not a first world country. I would say it is a second world country as it is definitely better off than the third world developing nations but it has not yet achieved the full living standards for all its population of a first world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
No it is not because of :

Poor Food Safety Standards
Pollution
Poor Public Hygiene

Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,449,121 times
Nope.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
I think China might re-define "first world". But it apparently hasn't yet, as far as I can tell, but It's been a long time since I've been there.

Would you consider China "first world" if they secured the same standard of living that equals the lower levels of the Middle Class in America, but without needing to earn two or three times that much in order to be lorded over by a fabulously princely class? Without assuring a super-wealthy class, China could, with about a quarter of the gross wealth, maintain a standard of living better than the 20% of Americans who are classified as "poverty".

So, in a world in which "first world" is defined by the wealth of the super-rich, at what point does China cross that threshold with a total wealth that assures some leisure and comforts in addition to secure housing, adequate nutrition, universal health care, and free education to everyone as far as their capabilities lie?

According to calculations of the CIA, China right now has fewer people (per capita) living in poverty than the United States, and so do Morocco, Vietnam, Jordan and Indonesia. Without quibbling about what constitutes "Poverty" these are the numbers recognized by a US government agency. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_in_poverty

I'm not saying it will happen, nor even that it can happen, but can you bend your mind around an economic concept in which a universal middle class can exist with a much lower level of cumulative wealth and productivity, with a different philosophy of distribution?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-05-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think China might re-define "first world". But it apparently hasn't yet, as far as I can tell, but It's been a long time since I've been there.

Would you consider China "first world" if they secured the same standard of living that equals the lower levels of the Middle Class in America, but without needing to earn two or three times that much in order to be lorded over by a fabulously princely class? Without assuring a super-wealthy class, China could, with about a quarter of the gross wealth, maintain a standard of living better than the 20% of Americans who are classified as "poverty".

So, in a world in which "first world" is defined by the wealth of the super-rich, at what point does China cross that threshold with a total wealth that assures some leisure and comforts in addition to secure housing, adequate nutrition, universal health care, and free education to everyone as far as their capabilities lie?

According to calculations of the CIA, China right now has fewer people (per capita) living in poverty than the United States, and so do Morocco, Vietnam, Jordan and Indonesia. Without quibbling about what constitutes "Poverty" these are the numbers recognized by a US government agency. List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying it will happen, nor even that it can happen, but can you bend your mind around an economic concept in which a universal middle class can exist with a much lower level of cumulative wealth and productivity, with a different philosophy of distribution?
In China almost all young people work. Those who are not listed as "employed" are often engaged in some unregistered business too.

In other countries, even including the US, you can see a lot of young people wandering around doing nothing.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM

364 posts, read 523,963 times
No, Still third worldish

Old 07-06-2013, 01:34 PM

843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

According to calculations of the CIA, China right now has fewer people (per capita) living in poverty than the United States, and so do Morocco, Vietnam, Jordan and Indonesia. Without quibbling about what constitutes "Poverty" these are the numbers recognized by a US government agency. List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the US standard, China has a few hundred million people in poverty.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
China has come a long way thanks to Deng Xiaoping, but they still have quite a ways to go.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM

321 posts, read 522,713 times
No, there are some very, very crappy parts; even in the well-off and developed cities. I wouldn't consider China a third-world country though.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,111,171 times
China is still generations away from being "first world". It's pollution will be at overwhelming, critical levels soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or