Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM

108 posts, read 259,435 times

Advertisements

Not close if you go to Shanghai you could be fooled by this great showcase city but no its a long way away from becoming first world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
I can't imagine a first world place can be as polluted as Beijing.
Yeah true polluted indeed. I like to go there for the food and culture. The culture of China is rich in Beijing for obvious reasons. It's a cultural capital in a way Rome and London are. At least there's more to do there than vanilla cities like Toronto.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Yeah true polluted indeed. I like to go there for the food and culture. The culture of China is rich in Beijing for obvious reasons. It's a cultural capital in a way Rome and London are. At least there's more to do there than vanilla cities like Toronto.
I actually find Toronto really underrated but yeah. I mean it's not like Oklahoma City or something.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 13,272 times
No, I would not. They have too many wage, labor and smog issues.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I actually find Toronto really underrated but yeah. I mean it's not like Oklahoma City or something.
Beijing, Rome and London share the commonality of being cultural capitals of civilizations of over 1000 years. That's why they are interesting to explore and vacation in. Great Wall, Summer Palace, Tiananmen Sq, Forbidden City are like going to Colosseum, Spanish Steps, etc.

Toronto is like Singapore. Soulless. Same-ish population as well.

Many second tier Chinese cities are underrated. Lots to do in Chengdu, Hangzhou, Tianjin, Suzhou. Lots of nice food to eat too. My favorite Asian city is a tie between Seoul or Tokyo.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is the average Chinese person basically as well off as the average North American, Australian or European now? Or are we only talking about a quarter of the population or so who have money and the rest still live in relative poverty?

I remember it wasn't long ago the average Chinese person only made $3,000 a year. I think now it's something like $7K or $8K but considering rent, food etc is cheaper there that's probably not much worse than a working class or minimum wage American!

What European or New World country would you compare China to economically? It is similar to Mexico or Argentina or would you put more in the category of say Spain or Italy in terms of wealth?
The United Nations Using a metric known as Human Development Index and then somewhat arbitrarily divides countries into four categories.
Very high human development
High human development
Medium human development
Low human development

Human Development Index tries to take into account not just GDP, but also access to doctor's care, education (particularly of women), infant mortality, etc. GDP is sometimes skewed because wealth is poorly distributed

China is a Medium country (but near the top of that group).

96 Dominican Republic
101 China
107 El Salvador
108 Bolivia
111 Paraguay
120 Honduras
129 Nicaragua
133 Guatemala
136 India

Low HDI is countries like Bangaldesh, Pakistan, Yemen, Haiti, and many countries in sub-Saharan Africa.

Given that China has a population greater than North and South America and Western Europe combined, the majority of people can be very poor, but you can still have a sizeable number of people living at fairly high levels.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Not even close. Not even remotely developed. I would actually go as far as to saying that it's the least developed country in Asia, possibly the whole world outside of sub-saharan Africa.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think China might re-define "first world". But it apparently hasn't yet, as far as I can tell, but It's been a long time since I've been there.

Would you consider China "first world" if they secured the same standard of living that equals the lower levels of the Middle Class in America, but without needing to earn two or three times that much in order to be lorded over by a fabulously princely class? Without assuring a super-wealthy class, China could, with about a quarter of the gross wealth, maintain a standard of living better than the 20% of Americans who are classified as "poverty".

So, in a world in which "first world" is defined by the wealth of the super-rich, at what point does China cross that threshold with a total wealth that assures some leisure and comforts in addition to secure housing, adequate nutrition, universal health care, and free education to everyone as far as their capabilities lie?

According to calculations of the CIA, China right now has fewer people (per capita) living in poverty than the United States, and so do Morocco, Vietnam, Jordan and Indonesia. Without quibbling about what constitutes "Poverty" these are the numbers recognized by a US government agency. List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying it will happen, nor even that it can happen, but can you bend your mind around an economic concept in which a universal middle class can exist with a much lower level of cumulative wealth and productivity, with a different philosophy of distribution?
What the heck is that mangled sentence meant to mean? Per capita means per head, per person. Fewer people per person?
Do you mean by percentage of population?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Not even close. Not even remotely developed. I would actually go as far as to saying that it's the least developed country in Asia, possibly the whole world outside of sub-saharan Africa.
Basically, you mean China is less developed than Afghanistan, Sudan, North Korea...
Very convincing... not

Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What a question...That's like asking - would you consider a dollar store Tiffany's of New York. China is a dump..between poison water..lead paint..human feces in their produce and forced abortions and living in an atmosphere where you can not breath the air....Money making does not ensure quality of life or class...China is a nation of drone slaves and got exactly what they deserved for killing and torturing millions of their best citizens to achieve THIS hell whole..what a joke and what JUSTICE.
So the people deserve what they have because of what an oppressive government did to them? Circular reasoning at it's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia