U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,847,635 times

Advertisements

Is the average Chinese person basically as well off as the average North American, Australian or European now? Or are we only talking about a quarter of the population or so who have money and the rest still live in relative poverty?

I remember it wasn't long ago the average Chinese person only made $3,000 a year. I think now it's something like $7K or $8K but considering rent, food etc is cheaper there that's probably not much worse than a working class or minimum wage American!

What European or New World country would you compare China to economically? It is similar to Mexico or Argentina or would you put more in the category of say Spain or Italy in terms of wealth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Is the average Chinese person basically as well off as the average North American, Australian or European now? Or are we only talking about a quarter of the population or so who have money and the rest still live in relative poverty?
Not really. In the cities, living standard is similar to that of Eastern European countries, on average.
But China has a large rural population and many of them are quite poor. However, the infrastructure of Chinese cities is better than that of most Eastern European countries.

Quote:
I remember it wasn't long ago the average Chinese person only made $3,000 a year. I think now it's something like $7K or $8K but considering rent, food etc is cheaper there that's probably not much worse than a working class or minimum wage American!
As long as you have a "real" job, making $7k is not difficult especially in big cities. Typically those who have a degree in engineering, finance etc. can expect $10k~$20k depending on where they live. Many Chinese own small business too.
China has low income taxes (for that income range) but also low welfare. Young people who have a white collar job can afford a car, but purchasing an apartment is still a big burden and usually they need help from parents.

Quote:
What European or New World country would you compare China to economically? It is similar to Mexico or Argentina or would you put more in the category of say Spain or Italy in terms of wealth?
It is hard to compare China with any smaller country. China has some of the richest people in the world but also a lot of people in poverty-- maybe it is more like Argentina.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM

816 posts, read 1,554,487 times
lol, No.

List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

China hasn't even caught up with places like South Africa or Brazil, much less Mexico or Argentina.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,762,827 times
What a question...That's like asking - would you consider a dollar store Tiffany's of New York. China is a dump..between poison water..lead paint..human feces in their produce and forced abortions and living in an atmosphere where you can not breath the air....Money making does not ensure quality of life or class...China is a nation of drone slaves and got exactly what they deserved for killing and torturing millions of their best citizens to achieve THIS hell whole..what a joke and what JUSTICE.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,001,689 times
No. China has certainly improved its living standards, but some important items in major cities, namely housing, is among the most expensive in the world. Not least, the country is an ecological basket case. Air, water, soil, food safety, you name it. Just abominable. Everyone who has the means is seeking a way out, if not for themselves, then definitely for their kids. So in the most important measures, China is not first world. But it is no longer a developing country either.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What a question...That's like asking - would you consider a dollar store Tiffany's of New York. China is a dump..between poison water..lead paint..human feces in their produce and forced abortions and living in an atmosphere where you can not breath the air....Money making does not ensure quality of life or class...China is a nation of drone slaves and got exactly what they deserved for killing and torturing millions of their best citizens to achieve THIS hell whole..what a joke and what JUSTICE.
Sounds like foxnews to me.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
No, China has improved a lot but it has done so pretty unevenly with a few regions, especially the major cities near or on the coast, having achieved first world country standards by some counts for its permanent residents (but not so much its migrant workers), but there are still large swathes of the country which have seen much more limited improvement. I think one consideration the Chinese economy hasn't really put into consideration, and maybe a factor in its rapid growth, is the great environmental damage it's costing and how much the fallout and cleanup from that is going to cost further down in the future.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 PM

18,442 posts, read 9,548,793 times
Not at all. There are areas like Pudong area of Shanghai, all of Hong Kong, Beijing that are 1st world level but most of the country is still backward and lacking in infrastructure. They also have to address their pollution situation to become a 1st world country...and that's not cheap. I worked and traveled extensively in China so I like their pace of development but it's going to take some time for them to catch up from 40 years of stagnation.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not at all. There are areas like Pudong area of Shanghai, all of Hong Kong, Beijing that are 1st world level but most of the country is still backward and lacking in infrastructure. They also have to address their pollution situation to become a 1st world country...and that's not cheap. I worked and traveled extensively in China so I like their pace of development but it's going to take some time for them to catch up from 40 years of stagnation.
I'd say Shanghai's better regions are actually in Puxi and not Pudong, but I get your overall point. What's telling js that rven though China is predicted to outgross the US in GDP by the end ofthe decade ( and well before predictions made before 2008), it's doing so with a population four times that of the US. Thr pollution is going to br an especially tough issue to tackle because part of what has allowed China to grow its economy has been a comparatively terrible disregard for the effects of pollution. i think the saving grace for China in the future is its heavy investment in the applied sciences and engineering and overall education its put in over the last decade which may find technological solutions.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 AM

843 posts, read 1,376,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I can't imagine a first world place can be as polluted as Beijing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or