U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times

Advertisements

1. Singapore: Tropical rain forest climate. No seasons, just hot and wet all the time.
2. Bangkok: Warm year round with dry and wet seasons.
3. Hong Kong: Several months are cool, otherwise it is just warm and humid. Very occasionally it gets cold.
4. Shanghai: cold in winter and hot in summer. Snow occurs a few times a year. Four seasons are even. Sunshine hours are low.
5. Tokyo: similar to Shanghai but less extreme.
6. Beijing: Very cold and dry in winter, but hot and humid in summer. Four seasons are relatively even with longer winter and shorter spring.
7. Seoul: Similar to Beijing but more humid. More rain and snow.
8. Harbin: Extremely cold in winter and warm in summer. 6 months' winter and 2 months' summer.
9. Kunming: Mild in winter and cool in summer. Dry and wet seasons. A lot of sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM

12,612 posts, read 15,071,590 times
I personally like the climate in Hong Kong and Tokyo and especially love fall (October, November) in both cities.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:51 PM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Of the cities you mention, Kunming has the best climate imo. I also like Chiang Mai as they get a ton of sun, less humidity than Bangkok, and have some cooling effect at night in the winter. I lived in Seoul for a year and thought the climate was better than what you would think when you just look at climate data.

Bandung, Indonesia at about 4000' elevation also has a nice climate.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM

78,820 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Spring in the Russian Far East (north and a little east of Harbin) is the best! Sunny days, the heat and humidity of the summer is still far off, the bitter cold of winter is over, a (relatively) lighter jacket is enough to stay warm, and there's that energy of new life in the air: plants are coming alive, trees are starting to leaf out, the ice in the river is melting (the first salmon run of the season isn't far away), and hope is in the air.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM

10,425 posts, read 12,427,921 times
My favorite is Southern Thailand but it's not on the OP's list.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
Haven't been there, but from the OP's list, seems like Kunming has the best climate. Best climate type for me is the Mediterranean type, but that is not found in the Far East. Next will be the subtropical highland type, near the equator but located high up in the mountains or on a plateau to have a pleasant year-round temperature. However, while the climate is very good in these areas, my preference for being in larger cities near the coast/beach/port trumps that of being in relatively smaller cities/towns high up in the mountains.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Not on the list but look at Lincang, China. Lincang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Average daily high of 75 and 55 low with 45" of rain. 2100 sunshine hours is less than ideal but the rest looks awesome from my perspective.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,888,807 times
Hong Kong any day and time....never been to Kunming though.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,450,954 times
Bali- Indondesia.

You have to be kidding about Singapore. I love Singapore but the climate there is like being in a perpetual sauna.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
1. Singapore: Tropical rain forest climate. No seasons, just hot and wet all the time.
2. Bangkok: Warm year round with dry and wet seasons.
3. Hong Kong: Several months are cool, otherwise it is just warm and humid. Very occasionally it gets cold.
4. Shanghai: cold in winter and hot in summer. Snow occurs a few times a year. Four seasons are even. Sunshine hours are low.
5. Tokyo: similar to Shanghai but less extreme.
6. Beijing: Very cold and dry in winter, but hot and humid in summer. Four seasons are relatively even with longer winter and shorter spring.
7. Seoul: Similar to Beijing but more humid. More rain and snow.
8. Harbin: Extremely cold in winter and warm in summer. 6 months' winter and 2 months' summer.
9. Kunming: Mild in winter and cool in summer. Dry and wet seasons. A lot of sunshine.
I've been to all of those cities except Harbin.

But, KUNMING was perfect when I was there. I absolutely loved that perfect ideal climate all year round.

But, I'm thinking these days that I'd probably prefer HONG KONG weather. I do like the long summers with a a mild winter.

Having lived in Seoul and Japan for quite some time, I got tired of both of their winters, every winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or