U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 AM

65 posts, read 46,706 times

Advertisements

How will climate change affect Philippines? Rising sea levels, unstable weather, monsoons etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 05:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apekonge View Post
How will climate change affect Philippines? Rising sea levels, unstable weather, monsoons etc
"More than 167,000 hectares of coastland -- about 0.6% of the country’s total area -- are projected to go underwater in the Philippines, especially in low-lying island communities, according to recent research."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1021104913.htm

Luckily the Philippines is mostly mountainous, so it's better off than the tiny Pacific Island nations that will likely disappear.

But the typhoons will become stronger...
"Even a moderate emission scenario can increase the intensity of typhoons like Haiyan by 14%, besides making them more frequent, says a new analysis."
Typhoons and hurricanes can get 14% stronger even with moderate global warming

Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,383,810 times
Well one thing they can do is try to clean up the corruption that seriously affects foreign investment and the tourism trade. Right now for instance there is what is being called the bullet scam going on primarily at the Manila International Airport.

Business travels and tourists are now reporting that after their luggage is routinely scanned they are being approached by the Philippine equivalent of our TSA and informed that firearms ammunition was found in their baggage.

The bullet or bullets are planted. The unsuspecting traveler is informed of the severity of this offence including the possibility of a long prison term. They are then informed that for a few thousand pesos the matter can be made to go away.Travels are so concerned that many of them have shrink wrapped or duct taped their luggage.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
That's just nominal GDP, if it's by Purchasing Power Parity, then that would be 2.2 trillion dollars.
That doesn't work out too well per capita, though I guess it's a good sign of growth?

I guess this is pretty anecdotal, but does it seem like the vast majority of people feel like things are steadily getting better for them year after year?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
population growth is also one of the problem...budget can not just cope up and finance officials are allergic to borrowing

local govts also don't have the initiative to expand their tax base..all depend on the national govt..the national govt should cut this lifeline to the local govt

id still like to retire there someday though..miss the rains..typhoons..and christmas

Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM

542 posts, read 489,781 times
Investment laws catering to wealthy foreign individuals and corporations would help tremendously.

Malaysia seems to be doing the right thing but the PI is still off limits for a majority owned anything by a foreigner.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:06 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Investment laws catering to wealthy foreign individuals and corporations would help tremendously.

Malaysia seems to be doing the right thing but the PI is still off limits for a majority owned anything by a foreigner.

I don't see what's so bad about that

Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't see what's so bad about that
The problem is that because you cannot own, it must be registered as a Filipino majority owned whatever. This is keeping a bunch of investors on the outside waiting for a change. I've been happily married to a Filipina for over a decade but refuse to put "my funds" into investments there.

Our funds, yes we have invested substantially, no problem but I'm not going to invest a half million dollars into a place that prevents me from having any control over it, business or otherwise.

Maybe I'm just taking it too personal but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my thinking. There are too many investor friendly places around the world and in that area.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
The problem is that because you cannot own, it must be registered as a Filipino majority owned whatever. This is keeping a bunch of investors on the outside waiting for a change. I've been happily married to a Filipina for over a decade but refuse to put "my funds" into investments there.

Our funds, yes we have invested substantially, no problem but I'm not going to invest a half million dollars into a place that prevents me from having any control over it, business or otherwise.

Maybe I'm just taking it too personal but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my thinking. There are too many investor friendly places around the world and in that area.
No offense and I'm not pointing fingers or anything, but you are taking it too personal. Every country in the world should have provisions to prevent foreign citizens from owning too much of any resource in a country. Every country should look out for their own economic self-interest first. No country should grovel to foreigners for some cash. And yes, that includes the US (pisses me off to no end foreign speculation in US real estate)

Old 12-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No offense and I'm not pointing fingers or anything, but you are taking it too personal. Every country in the world should have provisions to prevent foreign citizens from owning too much of any resource in a country. Every country should look out for their own economic self-interest first. No country should grovel to foreigners for some cash. And yes, that includes the US (pisses me off to no end foreign speculation in US real estate)
I totally agree with you there with one exception. They could limit the amount of investment (influence). How, I do not know but I think it could be done.

If I were to build a beach resort in my wife's hometown, I wouldn't figure I'd have (along with the other expats) any more influence than the Koreans have at Subic.

I served the US by way of the Marine Corps and I am a very proud American but, yes a big BUT I've long been searching for a simple place that will enable me to invest, work, and benefit from my time or lose as a result of my inability. The US has been taking away freedoms at an unprecedented and unacceptable pace (In my opinion).

I personally believe the PI is more free than America is today but there's a few things that need to be addressed. It will happen but who knows how long it'll be before it becomes enticing for foreigners. I hope sooner rather than later.

At this point in life, I'm just thinking of renting a condo in the Manila area and weekending at our farms up near Alaminos/Bolinao. It'd be relatively easy to make a run to the VA in Manila or over to Gua, for anything more serious. I can still maintain my life savings in Costa Rica and Panama without having to be on the ground.

"First world problems", I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia