U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,674,647 times
Reputation: 424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Many Fillipinos do speak Spanish.

And many aspects of it are used in schools and in government.

There are also some talks to restore it rightfully as an official language.

Also see Chavacano:

Chavacano language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,674,647 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Spanish influence on Filipino culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,398,355 times
Reputation: 2035
Is their any sector in the Philippines that's set to take off? If I had to guess, the largest sectors of the Filipino economy are: tourism, agriculture, and manufacturing at a distance third. I sort of think the Philippines is in a bad spot demographically. It's not small enough like S. Korea, Taiwan, or Malaysia that it can become developed fairly rapidly with focused economic policy and good governance; and it's not large enough to enjoy some of the benefits of size like being able to support a military-industrial complex(which has many ancillary benefits) while still being a relatively poor nation.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 11-06-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How can a nation as diverse as the Phillipines, with so many cultures and languages, become prosperous?
There are many diverse nation around the world that becomes prosperous too, no excuse, Philippines will one day become prosperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Phillipines still speaks Spanish. Many still speak Spanish. It should be restored as an official language. It shouldn't have been taken off in the 1990s
I think Tagalog reflects your culture more than replacing it with Spanish... why would you want to be another culture that is already practiced by hundreds of millions, when you already have your own? That wouldn't make Philippines unique anymore...

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-07-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
There are many diverse nation around the world that becomes prosperous too, no excuse, Philippines will one day become prosperous



I think Tagaloc reflects your culture more than replacing it with Spanish... why would you want to be another culture that is already practiced by hundreds of millions, when you already have your own? That wouldn't make Philippines unique anymore...
Because it was once spoken and was once the official language of the Philippines. There's no pure tagalog, Tagalog incorporated 4,000 Spanish words, much more than Malay.
Philippines has many dialects and some who have their own dialect, think it was very unfair making Tagalog the official language.

Also, speaking Espanol again would help restore ties with Latin America and Spain. There will be more Filipinos working in Spain and Latin
America. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people in the world. It will be very beneficial for Filipinos speaking 2 of the most important languages in the world.

It is also a good way to help Filipinos and others to know their identity. Filipinos are hispanics only that they are in Asia and the modern Filipinos are confused because a big part of their culture was removed and other people think they are not hispanic because they are in Asia and because they do not speak the language. So if Spanish will be reinstated all over the country, there wont be confusion any more and they will be recognised as Asian Hispanics ONCE AGAIN.

There are so many important documents, books and literature written by Filipino poets in Spanish and it is a shame that modern Filipinos can no longer read those books because of not knowing the language. Even our National Anthem was first written in Spanish and was just translated to Tagalog after.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-07-2013 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Because it was once spoken and was once the official language of the Philippines. There's no pure tagalog, Tagalog incorporated 4,000 Spanish words, much more than Malay.
Philippines has many dialects and some who have their own dialect, think it was very unfair making Tagalog the official language.

Also, speaking Espanol again would help restore ties with Latin America and Spain. There will be more Filipinos working in Spain and Latin
America. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people in the world. It will be very beneficial for Filipinos speaking 2 of the most important languages in the world.

It is also a good way to help Filipinos and others to know their identity. Filipinos are hispanics only that they are in Asia and the modern Filipinos are confused because a big part of their culture was removed and other people think they are not hispanic because they are in Asia and because they do not speak the language. So if Spanish will be reinstated all over the country, there wont be confusion any more and they will be recognised as Asian Hispanics ONCE AGAIN.

There are so many important documents, books and literature written by Filipino poets in Spanish and it is a shame that modern Filipinos can no longer read those books because of not knowing the language. Even our National Anthem was first written in Spanish and was just translated to Tagalog after.
Thing is, though, Spanish is a pretty useless language if you want to move up in the world. All of Latin America is not any more developed than the Philippines, except maybe Chile, and Spain is in depression. English is still more beneficial for the Philippines. I think it was pretty stupid for the Philippines to have wanted independence from the US all of those decades ago, but I don't know the circumstances surrounding that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thing is, though, Spanish is a pretty useless language if you want to move up in the world. All of Latin America is not any more developed than the Philippines, except maybe Chile, and Spain is in depression. English is still more beneficial for the Philippines. I think it was pretty stupid for the Philippines to have wanted independence from the US all of those decades ago, but I don't know the circumstances surrounding that
Spanish Language is part of Philippine History so for me. It's better to keep Spanish too along with English & it's not just to keep closer to Latin America or Spain but for Filipinos to learn more about their past. Spanish Language was the first language used to reunite everyone because there was no official language or 1 language for everyone to communicate. It lead to Philippine Independence. I was thinking what if American never share the Pork Barrel which is now a very much controversial in Philippine Government. US introduced Pork Barrel to Philippine Government now they are using this for corruption.

Last edited by pinai; 11-07-2013 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thing is, though, Spanish is a pretty useless language if you want to move up in the world. All of Latin America is not any more developed than the Philippines, except maybe Chile, and Spain is in depression. English is still more beneficial for the Philippines. I think it was pretty stupid for the Philippines to have wanted independence from the US all of those decades ago, but I don't know the circumstances surrounding that
Spain's recession won't be forever. You are from Puerto Rico so you of all people should understand how beneficial it is speaking the two most important language in the world. There are many Puerto Ricans who are bilingual right ? Aren't you glad that you speak both Spanish and English ? So why shouldn't the Filipinos be the same as Puerto Rico ? Puerto Rico and Philippines had the same history.

Chile and Philippines were good friends back in the 70's. Pinochet and Marcos were friends before.

Philippines having a different culture compare to other Asian countries, do not really have friends in Asia. Most of the time, Philippines feel out of place, so to restore ties with our Latin American cousins would be good for our country.

Also, it is just right to learn it. It was a part of the Filipino culture and history. Most Filipinos cannot read the old literatures that our Poets did and it is a shame that everything has to be translated to English for to understand. If US would oblige Puerto Rico to stop speaking Spanish and replace it with English, would you be happy with it ?

I have talked to many Latin Americans who said it would be good if Filipinos can speak Spanish once again and be able to restore ties with Latin America, how come it is quite different with you ?

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-07-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,550 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Because it was once spoken and was once the official language of the Philippines. There's no pure tagalog, Tagalog incorporated 4,000 Spanish words, much more than Malay.
Philippines has many dialects and some who have their own dialect, think it was very unfair making Tagalog the official language.

Also, speaking Espanol again would help restore ties with Latin America and Spain. There will be more Filipinos working in Spain and Latin
America. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people in the world. It will be very beneficial for Filipinos speaking 2 of the most important languages in the world.

It is also a good way to help Filipinos and others to know their identity. Filipinos are hispanics only that they are in Asia and the modern Filipinos are confused because a big part of their culture was removed and other people think they are not hispanic because they are in Asia and because they do not speak the language. So if Spanish will be reinstated all over the country, there wont be confusion any more and they will be recognised as Asian Hispanics ONCE AGAIN.

There are so many important documents, books and literature written by Filipino poets in Spanish and it is a shame that modern Filipinos can no longer read those books because of not knowing the language. Even our National Anthem was first written in Spanish and was just translated to Tagalog after.
Well you guys are Hispanic because you are colonized by Spain but also are conquered by Americans who removed some of its influence. But wouldn't it be ridiculous to claim the hispanic title if only 2-3% of Filipinos are actually true Hispanic with Spanish blood? but of course if Hispanic means a relationship with Spain then Philippines is already a Hispanic nation but that would also make Manado in Northern Celebes, Indonesia, Hispanic since it is formerly a part of Spanish colony until the Dutch claimed it and to support more many of its populace actually had intebred with the Spanish, even the ex king there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well you guys are Hispanic because you are colonized by Spain but also are conquered by Americans who removed some of its influence. But wouldn't it be ridiculous to claim the hispanic title if only 2-3% of Filipinos are actually true Hispanic with Spanish blood? but of course if Hispanic means a relationship with Spain then Philippines is already a Hispanic nation but that would also make Manado in Northern Celebes, Indonesia, Hispanic since it is formerly a part of Spanish colony until the Dutch claimed it and to support more many of its populace actually had intebred with the Spanish, even the ex king there.
Hispanic is culture and not race. Not all Hispanic have spanish blood. Hispanic was a term used for all Spain colonies. Having a Hispanic surnames, language, tradition, arts, literature, dance, if Manado same as Philippines. Name of the country is already a hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top