U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Spain's recession won't be forever. You are from Puerto Rico so you of all people should understand how beneficial it is speaking the two most important language in the world. There are many Puerto Ricans who are bilingual right ? Aren't you glad that you speak both Spanish and English ? So why shouldn't the Filipinos be the same as Puerto Rico ? Puerto Rico and Philippines had the same history.

Chile and Philippines were good friends back in the 70's. Pinochet and Marcos were friends before.

Philippines having a different culture compare to other Asian countries, do not really have friends in Asia. Most of the time, Philippines feel out of place, so to restore ties with our Latin American cousins would be good for our country.

Also, it is just right to learn it. It was a part of the Filipino culture and history. Most Filipinos cannot read the old literatures that our Poets did and it is a shame that everything has to be translated to English for to understand. If US would oblige Puerto Rico to stop speaking Spanish and replace it with English, would you be happy with it ?

I have talked to many Latin Americans who said it would be good if Filipinos can speak Spanish once again and be able to restore ties with Latin America, how come it is quite different with you ?
Eh I suppose so. I generally feel pessimistic when it comes to my language and culture. Mostly its only poor people here that speak Spanish so it doesnt have a good reputation here. Add to the fact that we Waldo border the largest Spanish speaking country in the world that is very dysfunctional and you have really bad public relations as a result. But of course I'd be pissed if the US decided to wipe out Spanish in Puerto Rico.

Would you ever support reintegration into the US again? A lot of you already live here anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM

8,585 posts, read 5,388,522 times
the development of the Philippines is about to suffer a setback, its in the bullseye of a massive typhoon as I type this. I heard on the weather channel that winds were at 190 mph and heading for the central part of that country, lets wish them the best.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thing is, though, Spanish is a pretty useless language if you want to move up in the world. All of Latin America is not any more developed than the Philippines, except maybe Chile, and Spain is in depression. English is still more beneficial for the Philippines. I think it was pretty stupid for the Philippines to have wanted independence from the US all of those decades ago, but I don't know the circumstances surrounding that
better to be independent and broke than another Hawaii. American influence in the Philippines is bad enough, I dont even want to think about how it would be if the Philippines stayed part of the US

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well you guys are Hispanic because you are colonized by Spain but also are conquered by Americans who removed some of its influence. But wouldn't it be ridiculous to claim the hispanic title if only 2-3% of Filipinos are actually true Hispanic with Spanish blood? but of course if Hispanic means a relationship with Spain then Philippines is already a Hispanic nation but that would also make Manado in Northern Celebes, Indonesia, Hispanic since it is formerly a part of Spanish colony until the Dutch claimed it and to support more many of its populace actually had intebred with the Spanish, even the ex king there.
How can you even make that claim? Where are you getting that from?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
How can you even make that claim? Where are you getting that from?
Out of his nether region. How many times does it have to be said?Hispanic is NOT a race.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Out of his nether region. How many times does it have to be said?Hispanic is NOT a race.
That's true, you dont have to have Spanish blood to be Hispanic, but I'm doubting that only 2-3% of Filipinos have any Spanish blood. 2-3% seems more like the percent of Filipinos with significant Spanish blood, the old-money families. In small towns throughout the Philippines, the people in power usually look noticeably European-mixed. Isabel Preysler and many celebrities and politicians are examples of this type.

And then there are Filipinos who are full European, less than 1% of the population. Some examples are the Ayala family, Pilita Corrales and Peque Gallaga

Last edited by Smtchll; 11-07-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well you guys are Hispanic because you are colonized by Spain but also are conquered by Americans who removed some of its influence. But wouldn't it be ridiculous to claim the hispanic title if only 2-3% of Filipinos are actually true Hispanic with Spanish blood? but of course if Hispanic means a relationship with Spain then Philippines is already a Hispanic nation but that would also make Manado in Northern Celebes, Indonesia, Hispanic since it is formerly a part of Spanish colony until the Dutch claimed it and to support more many of its populace actually had intebred with the Spanish, even the ex king there.
Our culture is very hispanic. You can see it in our religion, language, food, dance, art and literature, cultural and religious festivities plus our family names. That is why Philippines is a member of the organisation called La Hispanidad. La Hispanidad is an organisation among all Spanish colonies that practise Spanish culture.

The percentage about Filipinos having Spanish blood is not that reliable. Since the Spanish left, the Census doesn't really account the every mestizo born any more so that was just a study conducted by an American and not everyone's DNA was taken.

Hispanic is not a race. Most non hispanic people get confusef with this word and associate it to someone who has Spanish blood. It is a CULTURE .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanidad

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-07-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM

^ Which study? I've never seen a study that says how much Spanish blood Filipinos have

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times
Quote:
^ Which study? I've never seen a study that says how much Spanish blood Filipinos have
I just read it somewhere on the internet about a study done in a university in America

Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,342 times
Quote:
Dunno but i just go to wikipedia

Quote:
That's true, you dont have to have Spanish blood to be Hispanic, but I'm doubting that only 2-3% of Filipinos have any Spanish blood. 2-3% seems more like the percent of Filipinos with significant Spanish blood, the old-money families. In small towns throughout the Philippines, the people in power usually look noticeably European-mixed. Isabel Preysler and many celebrities and politicians are examples of this type.

And then there are Filipinos who are full European, less than 1% of the population. Some examples are the Ayala family, Pilita Corrales and Peque Gallaga
Well i have to add that there are strong political dynasty in the Philippines (after studying stuff) and it appears that Mestizos in the media industry and politics are playing a bigger role than the Austronesian Filipinos.... 2-3% (3 mil) is enough to cover the entire archipelago....

Quote:
The percentage about Filipinos having Spanish blood is not that reliable. Since the Spanish left, the Census doesn't really account the every mestizo born any more so that was just a study conducted by an American and not everyone's DNA was taken.
Well there are 1 million Dutch-Indo left in Indonesia since more than half of them flee the country after the independence, plus the Portuguese etc, but it is very hard to say that the exxact number is around 1 million because there are many region with strong Portuguese traces (Ambon, Timor, NTT), Spanish (Manado) and Dutch (Bandung, Jakarta), however very few of these people would admit it or totally clueless about their own ancestry unless it is very clear in their ancestry line, i am really surprised that Filipinos kept it well with them. Ohh and don't forget the bastard kids they make during the colonial times.

Many of those who are half-Dutch are hated after the independence, so many changed their name.... but in Ambon and NTT portuguese names are common....

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-07-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia