U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Dunno but i just go to wikipedia

Well i have to add that there are strong political dynasty in the Philippines (after studying stuff) and it appears that Mestizos in the media industry and politics are playing a bigger role than the Austronesian Filipinos.... 2-3% (3 mil) is enough to cover the entire archipelago....
I saw the one on wikipedia. It was saying that something like 3-4% of Filipinos have European paternal haplogroups, but that's not talking about ancestry in general

and yeah, I think 3 million is a good number for the amount of Filipinos who are mestizos (25%+ European) Anything below that percentage is really negligible and not really mestizo in my eyes. But like I said, being Hispanic is about culture, not Spanish blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I saw the one on wikipedia. It was saying that something like 3-4% of Filipinos have European paternal haplogroups, but that's not talking about ancestry in general

and yeah, I think 3 million is a good number for the amount of Filipinos who are mestizos (25%+ European) Anything below that percentage is really negligible and not really mestizo in my eyes. But like I said, being Hispanic is about culture, not Spanish blood.
Some of the celebrities in the Philippines are not 25% European but still are considered mestizos, it really depends...

Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Some of the celebrities in the Philippines are not 25% European but still are considered mestizos, it really depends...
Because people use it more for physical features than actual blood quantum.

I'm talking about the traditional definition of mestizo, native+European. Anything less than 25% European wouldnt really count as mestizo, but that's just how I see it.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
better to be independent and broke than another Hawaii. American influence in the Philippines is bad enough, I dont even want to think about how it would be if the Philippines stayed part of the US
You think it would be worse than years of self-serving corrupt leaders running the country? I don't think the poor would be any worse off than they are now.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,533,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Philippines have been slated to become a developed country for decades now, but it still hasn't quite got there. It has a large expat population which has been decently successful and that population have sent an incredible amount of remittances over the last decade. However, it's still in an incredible rut. It seems that its devotion to religion has brought it little but conservatism that takes it nowhere but overpopulation and that Christian charity it might have as a bonus takes it a pretty short distance. It seems crazy that it was once slated to be one of the developed countries of east asia (along with Burma/Myanmar which went terribly for different reasons) and it has such an incredible poverty in not just the basic gross domestic product, but also political clout and cultural spread to bring in new investment.

Can you see the Philippines in our lifetimes becoming a developed nation? Do the current political developments seem like they'd make a great difference? What is the political climate like these days? Is there a strong progressive party that can effect real changes?
I've worked there and in SE Asia for many years. It will never become a developed country in the traditional sense (ie cradle to grave benefits) but maybe that is a good thing. The macroeconomy has fared very well and posted growth every year since the 1997 asian crisis. The white collar job market is not burdened by oversupply and unlike in the US, if you have a college degree and skills, you will have a promising career and can buy a home and private health insurance.

Filipinos' adherence to Catholicism is actually a good thing for the country. It was able to resolve many of its national problems with the help of the church. And they are pragmatic in that their adherence will now go as far to the point that it does not give them financial discomfort.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:36 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,700,820 times
Looking at their historic growth and slowing it down a little (-0.1% per year) in 2030 when it reaches 10000 (happens with all countries), then Philippines will become a developed country in 2060.

So Philippines won't be a developed country before we get old.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
...seems like the educated emigrate and don't return...maybe more who study abroad will return home afterwards to continue their lives and be part of developing the country? i just see alot of the educated Filipinos in the U.S and they're staying for good.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 PM

490 posts, read 1,498,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thing is, though, Spanish is a pretty useless language if you want to move up in the world. All of Latin America is not any more developed than the Philippines, except maybe Chile, and Spain is in depression. English is still more beneficial for the Philippines. I think it was pretty stupid for the Philippines to have wanted independence from the US all of those decades ago, but I don't know the circumstances surrounding that
Oh my goodness....I don't even know where to begin. None of the Latin American countries are developed (though Chile is semi developed) and Spain is a developed country in crisis, but the economies of Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Panama are growing and are in good shape. There are a few which are also growing.

*According to Goldman Sachs, Mexico will be the world's 5th largest economy by 2050. Currently it is the 11th largest in the world.
*Chile and Peru are GROWING rapidly, and Chile is expected to become a developed country by 2016.
*Cities such as Mexico City, Monterrey, Bogota, Medellin, Panama City and Santiago are pretty impressive. They are pretty 1st world-like, they are clean, developed, safe (though Monterrey has gotten dangerous since 2007 because of the drug cartels).

This video, though kind of long, is very detailed and in depth of why it's good to learn Spanish.

Why learn Spanish? Here are some reasons why you should - YouTube

Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
When they stop electing corrupt leaders. When people are paid a decent wage and viewed as people rather than being worked like machines for slave wages. One example of that of an American owned pineapple plantation. One job they call a "checker" (one that checks the amounts of seed) must work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, rain or shine. The salary is 4500 pesos per month, or about 102 dollars. Those that leave do tend to send a good deal of money back home though.

"Filipinos' adherence to Catholicism is actually a good thing for the country". Though it doesn't seem to be helping regarding the birth control issue.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
When they stop electing corrupt leaders. When people are paid a decent wage and viewed as people rather than being worked like machines for slave wages. One example of that of an American owned pineapple plantation. One job they call a "checker" (one that checks the amounts of seed) must work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, rain or shine. The salary is 4500 pesos per month, or about 102 dollars. Those that leave do tend to send a good deal of money back home though.

"Filipinos' adherence to Catholicism is actually a good thing for the country". Though it doesn't seem to be helping regarding the birth control issue.
Actually, right now most Filipinos hardly trust our politicians. So hopefully, on the next coming election there's no more 'trapo'. So they have to gain again the trust of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia