U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 PM

490 posts, read 1,502,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The majority of the population is expected to be tri-lingual: their native language, plus Tagalog, plus English. 75% of the population does not speak Tagalog as a native language. A lot of people don't realize that Tagalog is as different from other Filipino languages as French is from Spanish. Sometimes the distance is even larger, like French and German.

Have you been to the Philippines? You don't have to change languages everywhere you go. You can go anywhere in the Philippines and speak Tagalog and somebody will understand you because they learned it in school. Sometimes they prefer English over Tagalog, like in the Visayas. For some reason, Tagalog is hard for them but English is not
oh interesting. I honestly haven't been to the phillipines actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,355,930 times
32 y 6 m 8 d

Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 PM

22,200 posts, read 23,719,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
well the phillipines is already taking in a lot so I can understand when you mean by that it doesn't have unlimited resources. Also the Phillipines is like a very distant cousin and it's latin american relatives are on the other side of the pacific, so yeah its hard too. I didn't know that it was normal in the Phillipines to become a good programmer, know linear algebra and multivariable calculus before high school. That's really uncommon in the USA. Asia is very different from the western world.

I remember I studying hard when I was in school and yet I didn't get good grades. In asia I hear its supposed to be a lot harder. Me being in school in asia would probably be like fighting a bunch of sharks in a tank.
I wasn't saying it was common in the Philippines. I was saying that in an ideal world, it'd be great if all the students came out learning all of that before coming out of high school along with a second, third and fourth language. However, it doesn't make sense to throw everything on the plate and try to force feed the students everything you can when you barely have the resources to support a much less ambitious menu. I think it might work in terms of partnering with something like the Cervantes Institute in order to get a handful of pilot schools though if they can get that outside funding though obviously it'd be extremely unlikely for any outside institute to bankroll a nationwide curriculum addition.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,858,808 times
Spanish government offered help through Instituto de Cervantes and they also offered scholarships to Filipino teachers in 4 top Universities in Spain.
Chile also offered help. It's actually very nice of them to offer some help though Philippines has been quite disconnected from it's Latin American cousins for about 30 years now.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,502,403 times
Hermosaa, Yeah I think Mexico should help a little, try and do something to bring us closer.

Then again, maybe all of the spanish speaking latin america should help a little too, that would be nice.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Hermosaa, Yeah I think Mexico should help a little, try and do something to bring us closer.

Then again, maybe all of the spanish speaking latin america should help a little too, that would be nice.
Yes I think it would be good if Latin American countries would help especially Mexico since it was the closest Latin American country to the Philippines before. Mexico and Philippines were like sister nations during colonial times.
Here is a nice documentary about the beautiful friendship and sisterhood between Philippines and Mexico during colonial times.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwDrdM2XD4

Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Here are Secondary school teachers who are learning Espanol in order to be able to teach Secondary students after.

I am glad Philippine government realized the importance of Spanish in the Philippine curriculum and in the Philippines. I wish they had implemented it earlier.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKDFN9p8Ig

Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 PM

17,442 posts, read 21,278,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Many Fillipinos do speak Spanish.]
I have worked with a great number of Fillipinos in the health care industry, and I find many of them combining Spanish with their tagalog language. I do comprehend some Spanish, and I can sometimes pick up with what they are saying when they use the Spanish words mixed in. The word trabajo is used frequently, which translates to the word work in Spanish.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Getting rid of the large slums would be a good start.
Imelda Marcos leveled the notorious slum Tondo in the 70's 60,000 families forcibly removed, and 4,000 families from its edges, their houses demolished, and the displaced families were carted off into garbage trucks under police guard, to isolated sites 20 miles outside Manila where they were left to put up shanties like the ones they left behind. Out of sight, out of mind!

And why did she do that? The World Bank had given Imelda $32 million to fix up Tondo, and McNamara was due to visit Manila to view the progress. No progress at all! So she cleared the slum to make it look like there was progress! And what became of the $32 million and all the other aid we gave the Marcos's during that period? Squandered and/or chucked away in their Swiss bank accounts!

And to think we let 2 of the most notorious crooks in world history take up exile in Hawaii! One reason: Imelda and Ferdinand Marcos were very good friends of 2 more crooks: Nancy and Ronald Reagan!

And why didn't they string up both Imelda and Ferdinand from a couple palm trees in Manila?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I believe as long as Filipinos keep voting rich politicians nothing will ever happen to the Philippines. Those rich politicians in the government just want to keep getting more and more rich while making the Philippines more and more poor.
While the U.S. was using and abusing the Philippines all those decades, with only one single-minded mission to maintain military bases there, we had untold opportunities to crack down on the corruption in that country, but we turned a blind eye to it all those decades because we simply didn't care, only to keep those bases open! And for that, to this day, we share in the rampant corruption there! Shame on the U.S.!!!

The Philippine leaders, even before Marcos, knew how to manipulate the U.S., keep the flow of aid coming to that country, which rarely, if ever, benefited the poor, by merely scaring us by using the Communist threat, repeatedly. And we fell for it each and every time!

There was never any real Communist threat to the Philippines, it was all manufactured to keep the money flowing into their leader's Swiss bank accounts!

One good start to it becoming a developing country would be to legalize abortion over there, rather than their chief manufacture of making more babies, and sending them off to all points of the world to send remittances back to the country. Or, stop the emigration entirely! Then? Disgruntled, angry, fed up, they foment a revolution which is sorely needed in that country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia