U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 AM

22,131 posts, read 23,642,005 times

Advertisements

The Philippines have been slated to become a developed country for decades now, but it still hasn't quite got there. It has a large expat population which has been decently successful and that population have sent an incredible amount of remittances over the last decade. However, it's still in an incredible rut. It seems that its devotion to religion has brought it little but conservatism that takes it nowhere but overpopulation and that Christian charity it might have as a bonus takes it a pretty short distance. It seems crazy that it was once slated to be one of the developed countries of east asia (along with Burma/Myanmar which went terribly for different reasons) and it has such an incredible poverty in not just the basic gross domestic product, but also political clout and cultural spread to bring in new investment.

Can you see the Philippines in our lifetimes becoming a developed nation? Do the current political developments seem like they'd make a great difference? What is the political climate like these days? Is there a strong progressive party that can effect real changes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
None of the developing countries today seems to have the potential to join developed world in foreseeable future. Philippines isn't an exception.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Can you define 'developed'?

Whenever I've been in the Philippines, I see mega shopping malls absolutely everywhere....internet access is everywhere, as is texting culture on their cellphone. I see suburbs and roads and bridges and hospitals and everything I see everywhere else, if not more.

I'm just trying to imagine how it could be 'more' developed.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,457,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Whenever I've been in the Philippines, I see mega shopping malls absolutely everywhere....internet access is everywhere, as is texting culture on their cellphone. I see suburbs and roads and bridges and hospitals and everything I see everywhere else, if not more.

Getting rid of the large slums would be a good start.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

By your definition, Shanghai is probably a very developed city,lol.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well the government's target population within Metro Manila to relocate the illegal settlers is 10 Million within 2015 before the term of Benigno 'Noynoy' Aquino ends on 2016.

I'm glad that the government is now focusing on illegal settlers to relocate but some of these people kept on demanding a lot. They already have place for relocation this coming October around the City and Outside the City so they will just choose which relocation they want and even gave them money. I hope these Illegal settlers should not demand too much in the government. It's time to at least clean the Metro Manila, those who live near floodways and bridge are the 1st priority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfVFY93wSo
^The Video says they already start the processing those
families who are qualify for relocation. These people live in Slums near the floodways,
They are not allowed to come back, I hope the government should stick on their laws regarding
illegal settlers. There are some people who live in slums who are 'Professional Squatters'
they are usually the one who doesn't want relocation because they use their house to rent to
other people or they make it as a business. You'll see them in riot, so I'm glad its time to give
them a lesson. Government is actually giving them a place for relocation but they demand too much.

This is one of the relocation site, some already moved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_opv4i9L5xk
1yr free and after 1 yr they will pay 200 Php (in US$ they will only pay like US$6) Monthly
This relocation is outside the city.

Last edited by pinai; 07-07-2013 at 04:46 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Yeah I was gonna mention that. They're clearing out more and more slums every year. The slums around the waterways are supposed to be cleared out and demolished by the end of this year. I just wish that they would opt for more mid and high-rise apartments because 1 level buildings take up too much space. Manila needs to start building up, not just with the fancy skyscrapers, but with the regular residential homes.

Anyways, I believe that the Philippines can be a 2nd world country in my lifetime, maybe even 1st.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM

816 posts, read 1,555,074 times
I wouldn't hold my breath. Former Spanish colonies don't exactly have a great track record for booming economies.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
They will become a developed country soon after they get control of corruption. They could also open more doors to foreign investment. BTW, their economy is growing at a pretty good pace lately witha 6.6% GROWTH IN 2012

Filipinos are about the kindest people you will meet. I've had and currently had many Filipinos working for me and they're the best employees for the money anywhere. It's a shame their government corruption prevents more development.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They're clearing out more and more slums every year. The slums around the waterways are supposed to be cleared out and demolished by the end of this year.
As soon as the gov't can get rid of the large slums and clear them out...than viola, the Philippines is First World?

So 'developed' by definition means a country where the gov't goes in and destroys, clears out, and displaces their poor people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia