U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Singapore does not have "very bad" communities though, unlike the US.
How many Americans dare walk in downtown Detroit at night? You don't have that problem in any Asian city.
It's not downtown Detroit that's the worst--downtown is pretty desolate after work hours but that's about it. It's some of it's rougher still inhabited neighborhoods that are really dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not downtown Detroit that's the worst--downtown is pretty desolate after work hours but that's about it. It's some of it's rougher still inhabited neighborhoods that are really dangerous.
I used downtown in a broader sense, not just the central business district.
Anyway, even the business district is full of suspicious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
No. Singapore is 2nd or 3rd world. My dad was Chinese Singaporean (he's a naturalized US citizen now) and I often have to go to Singapore, if relatives die, or when things like that happen. Filthy filthy eating places, third world restrooms. Compared to the United States, its a dump. And the people there have nasty English but claim to be English speaking.
1. Not ALL eating places in Sing are dirty. You can ALSO FIND filthy eating places in the US, Canada, Australia, etc.
2. Ahem I've seen third world restrooms in the US.
3. Its Singapore English, its no nastier than the English spoken in Hong Kong, sourthern english.

You're making blanket statements about Sing but based on your criteria, then the US, Canada and Oz, etc. are all 3rd world as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,852 posts, read 3,379,235 times
Reputation: 7738
Well. I wouldn't call Singapore a dump or a 3rd world country now. It was both of those descriptions when I first lived there in the 60's. It's 1st world for the wealthy locals and expats. Probably 2nd world for everyone else.

I kind of like to hear people speak Singlish, mostly English but with a little bit of Cantonese and Malay mixed in. Some of the more or less newly arrived Indian population speak with an almost upper class British accent which is interesting.

The government is very conservative and pro business. Something like we have here with the current crop of hard right Republicans. Self reliance. Don't rely on the government for support when you get old. Elders can sue their kids for support if they are in financial need. Not very pro women. I used to see want ads in the paper stating women over 50 need not apply.

Despite the negatives I think in the end I admire Singaporeans. This is a tiny island with no natural resources that struggled and in the end gave most people a better standard of living compared to where it was when it was part of the British Empire. Like us they are mostly a nation of immigrants, in Singapore's case from China and India who worked and gave their kids a better standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
1. Not ALL eating places in Sing are dirty. You can ALSO FIND filthy eating places in the US, Canada, Australia, etc.
2. Ahem I've seen third world restrooms in the US.
3. Its Singapore English, its no nastier than the English spoken in Hong Kong, sourthern english.

You're making blanket statements about Sing but based on your criteria, then the US, Canada and Oz, etc. are all 3rd world as well.
sadgirl just has a very biased view of Sing...she probably mistakes the grittiness of Asia for dirt, and Singapore's hawker stalls are clean compared to other countries in Asia.

Singlish actually has a certain comical charm to it:


The Singaporean White Boy - The Shan and Rozz Show: EP7 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well. I wouldn't call Singapore a dump or a 3rd world country now. It was both of those descriptions when I first lived there in the 60's. It's 1st world for the wealthy locals and expats. Probably 2nd world for everyone else.

I kind of like to hear people speak Singlish, mostly English but with a little bit of Cantonese and Malay mixed in. Some of the more or less newly arrived Indian population speak with an almost upper class British accent which is interesting.

The government is very conservative and pro business. Something like we have here with the current crop of hard right Republicans. Self reliance. Don't rely on the government for support when you get old. Elders can sue their kids for support if they are in financial need. Not very pro women. I used to see want ads in the paper stating women over 50 need not apply.

Despite the negatives I think in the end I admire Singaporeans. This is a tiny island with no natural resources that struggled and in the end gave most people a better standard of living compared to where it was when it was part of the British Empire. Like us they are mostly a nation of immigrants, in Singapore's case from China and India who worked and gave their kids a better standard of living.
More Hokkien...Cantonese are a minority among the Chinese in Singapore, Hokkien is the biggest group. Onen can also hear the Indian inflection...while most Singaporeans do have a Singaporean accent (those born there not the many foreigners) those who speak for Chinese, Malay or Tamil will tend to have slightly differing accents. It's almost identical to the Malaysian English. Singlish shouldn't be confused with Singaporean standard English or the Singaporean accent, although there is a dialect continuum.

Yes, it is a success story, and by no means is it perfect, but it's the only nation fully in the tropics with a first world standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I used downtown in a broader sense, not just the central business district.
Anyway, even the business district is full of suspicious people.
A lot of the nicest least rundown parts of Detroit are actually in or adjacent to Downtown such as Corktown and Mid-City. Though yea, still substantially more dangerous than any part of Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,149,123 times
Reputation: 3308
My friend says Shanghai is now approaching first world status. Life expectancy there is higher than most countries and the metro area is home to almost 25 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My friend says Shanghai is now approaching first world status. Life expectancy there is higher than most countries and the metro area is home to almost 25 million people.
What is income inequality like there? Aren't there still a lot of poor people there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What is income inequality like there? Aren't there still a lot of poor people there?
Yes, there's a fairly large population of poor, unregistered (uh, illegal) domestic migrants. However getting stats on them or figuring out if they are included partially in stats is pretty hard to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top