Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 PM

32 posts, read 15,802 times

Advertisements

So I was looking to buy a camera (DSLR) and found some online on Amazon in the States. I have also seen many youtubers walk into a store like Yodobashi in Tokyo and say the products are superior in some ways. My question is, where are electronics that you find in Japanese stores generally made? Are they manufactured in Japan? Is that why they are of higher quality or is it because the next version is first sold in Japan ? If you are visiting Japan and had to buy a camera wouild you wait till you got there and buy it in Japan or would you buy a similar product off Amazon in the States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Where you buy it doesn't represent where it was made. Many of the japanese camera makers have production facilities in China, or other countries - Philipinnes, Vietnam. I read somewhere for some of these Chinese factories the dead on arrival results are better than the ones coming from Japanese factories. The key is really consistency. Consistency will support quality standards that are universal, wherever they are built.
The only real difference is if something is custom made, and for that why not go with Swiss or German for quality excellence?

Old 11-23-2020, 01:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
I try not to buy made in china

you don't fund to fund the CCP,the PLA, and tibetean oppression.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
There was a time Radio Shack was selling SONY Boombox for Sony on Ebay,they are made in Thailand,they do not work,
brand new ones,you cant turn on

Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM

6,088 posts, read 3,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I try not to buy made in china

you don't fund to fund the CCP,the PLA, and tibetean oppression.
The problem with not buying “made in China” runs quite a bit deeper than that. Because even though a product might not technically be made there, it’s possible that the raw materials were from China, or at least refined in China, and you would never know unless you did extensive research on a product.

So we could be funding the CCP without even realizing it.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalhamster View Post
So I was looking to buy a camera (DSLR) and found some online on Amazon in the States. I have also seen many youtubers walk into a store like Yodobashi in Tokyo and say the products are superior in some ways. My question is, where are electronics that you find in Japanese stores generally made? Are they manufactured in Japan? Is that why they are of higher quality or is it because the next version is first sold in Japan ? If you are visiting Japan and had to buy a camera wouild you wait till you got there and buy it in Japan or would you buy a similar product off Amazon in the States?
Ah, cameras...

Many Nikon and Canon products are cheaper in the US than in Japan, although they are exactly or nearly exactly the same. I bought my Nikon DSLR before moving to Asia after checking local prices and also those in Japan and HK. Fifteen, twenty, twenty five years ago, you may have seen Japanese domestic market products launch considerably sooner than the US/EU, but now that's not so much the case... Maybe a few weeks or a couple months tops.

One thing to keep in mind is that often, foreign market products won't have support when you bring them back home. I had that issues with a US market HP laptop under warranty I brought to an HP store in China. So if you only plan to be in Japan for a trip, and an equivalent product is available in the US, it's worth it to just buy domestically imho. If it's not available on the US market then go for it but keep in mind you'll have to wait to get spares and other parts.

Most consumer electronics in Japan are now made in China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, or Korea, same as everywhere else in the world. There are still electronics manufactured in Japan but they have lost a substantial amount of market share. They were slow to adapt to the Digital Revolution and weren't as innovative as other countries in terms of software and integration, while Korean, US, and Chinese companies pushed the envelope. An American friend of mine who goes between Japan and China for work described it thus: electronic markets in China are what Japanese electronic markets were in the 80's and 90's.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:12 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,712 times
There are still a few made in Japan products in 100 yen stores. Most things sold in Japan except food and drinks are made in other Asian countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia