U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

Hello to All, Noise in The Philippines ?, I Have Lived In The Philippines For 6 Years Now..( All of them With My Wife and Daughter ), The Original Question Is A Mind Boggling One that Those of us who have really lived in the Philippines have experienced.

THE QUESTION WAS:

Tell me how do you block out the noise? I sat in numerous cafes with Filipinas and there were 2 - 3 women and it was the loudest racket I ever did hear. How do you put up with this in the home?

Well Those Actions Are Part of the Filipino's DNA or lack of Morals and Respect for Others, ( Not trying to start an argument, Only my opinion from my experience). You see after spending 7 years traveling to the Philippines for my employer - then retiring and deciding to live in the Philippines- as stated above, I think I can give a good point of view.

SO HOW DO I BLOCK OUT THAT BEHAVIOUR-

1) Remember That You Had Loving, Caring Parents that taught you Respect For Others.

2) Remember That You May Have Come From A Place Where Everyone Did Not Look At You AS A FREE MONEY TREE.

3) Be smarter Then Those Kind Of People----Never Have A Mental Battle With A educationally challenged Person.

4) MOST IMPORTANT !!!---NEVER LET THEM---AFFECT YOU

If You Can Remember These 4 Easy Things----WELCOME TO THE PHILIPPINES

Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 PM

201 posts, read 264,849 times
OP, it's interesting that you make those observations from the Hong Kong environment. It's a well-known stereotype that Chinese can be loud as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,435,783 times
I have been married to a Filipina for 20 years and live about 4 months a year in the Philippines and I have never experienced what the op states. Yes the women will chat if in groups but telling your wife to make sure they keep it down to a reasonable level, that will most often stops the cackling, in other words if your wife has not learned proper manners as your culture may dictate them, then whose fault is it.

While I do agree that some Filipinas have screaming voices, as others have written the yelling seems to go along with some people being uneducated and so it is your responsibility to educate your wife in your culture to educate her friends.

Number 2, get yourself an apartment with a balcony for the girls to go out and chat on, problem solved at least when at home and when out and about, avoid loud places. I will never rent or own an apartment unless it has a balcony.

I believe it is not as much the noise as not knowing what is going on around you, so learn the language as much as you can and it should not bother you as much. I am a typical white westerner but who knows some of the language and there is nothing more entertaining than listening to women chat and the often interesting things that many of them chat about. I suggest you learn too.

Rosetta Stone

Learn Cebuano and there are many other courses if you do a google search online.

PS: I get so mad when some people generalize and do not use qualifiers such as some or many as all of any race do not fit into any one group.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 03-24-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
OP, it's interesting that you make those observations from the Hong Kong environment. It's a well-known stereotype that Chinese can be loud as well.
Agree ... There are so many Chinese women who are noisier than Filipino women even if they are only talking to one person in front of them or on the phone. Usually Filipino women talk loud when they are in a group.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Exactly. I'm here in the Hong Kong area.

I find the Cantonese WAY WAY louder than the Filipinas. Sure, there are some loud Filipinas here and there, but it's the Cantonese-speakers who regularly shout and yell to convey something to someone who is within whispering distance.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM

471 posts, read 2,460,334 times
I don't know if it's a culture thing or just something universal amongst people with their friends. I think everyone at one time or another, when out and having fun with their closest friends, lose track of the volume of their voice.

I'm the other way around. I'm Filipino and married to a white woman, and she can be every bit as loud with her friends as any group of people I've seen. And she comes from a good family and upbringing, and her parents are well off, not poor and ignorant.

I think human beings tend to generalize, and have a natural us vs them mentality.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM

399 posts, read 579,436 times
Never had that problem with my wife. She's talkative around people she knows but she's not loud and obnoxious which I can't to be around people like that. I'm quiet person and we get along great. We understand each other. If she were a loud mouth obnoxious person I would not have married her.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,830 times
Hello Everyone, finally was able to get a good internet connection again.
Thank You To Everyone for keeping this Conversion Alive.......For So Many Reasons.
First I would Like To Apologize To Those who Thought I Just Making A Generalized Statement, I 'am Sorry For My Stupid Over Looking Of That Very Valid Point, That Was Not My Intension ( As My 20 Years Of Government service Has Brought Me To Many, Many Places In The Word) The One True Thing I Have Learned Is That All People And Cultures Of The World Are Unique And wonderful If Understood And Accepted. I was Simply Trying To address The Original Question And Concern's On This Form.

Second. To Just Give A Very Simple Opinion To The Other comparisons....WOMEN LIKE TO TALK AND GOSSIP....SO DO US MEN.....THE DIFFERANCE ?>>>>WE TALK ABOUT WOMEN AND CARS AND WORLD EVENTS......WOMEN TALK ABOUT MEN !!!!!( at least that is what my wife says ). But The One Thing I Learned...Just PRETEND Not To Listen..And Everyday Have A Smile On Your Face.

Will Add More If The Topic Stays Alive, (My Wife Is Filipino, I'm American And Our Daughter Is Phil-AM)

As Others Have Taken This "JOURNEY", I believe We Can Offer Some Good Advice Based On Our experience And Understanding.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM

6,575 posts, read 3,631,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, the Filipinas you see in HK are uneducated maids. They have the least education, and if they had any looks to them at all, they'd be working in bars making ten times the money. The old unattractive uneducated ones just clean houses as live-in maids for a few hundred dollars a month. That's all they make.

If you went around all the U.S. Wal-Marts and collected up the most uneducated and least attractive women in the U.S. and scattered them around the parks of Hong Kong, I don't think it would be a pretty picture either.

But, you are seeing a very specific demographic there, and not an accurate overall representation.
It is more than the uneducated, the culture just puts out more noise than Americans do. Housing is closer together yet when there is any party you have the karaoke machine on full blast. Basketball teams walking to their games with a drum line pounding away. Churches of minority sects putting out loudspeakers. On TV you have annoying sound effects giggling pasted on every time the main host takes a breathe. You get used to it by living it and getting used to it.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:44 AM

12 posts, read 12,714 times
I won't say the maids are uneducated, but they don't make professionals money. At least they understand American English. Agree that most maids do not look attractive to most Western and Asian men, only some old white men have relations with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, the Filipinas you see in HK are uneducated maids. They have the least education, and if they had any looks to them at all, they'd be working in bars making ten times the money. The old unattractive uneducated ones just clean houses as live-in maids for a few hundred dollars a month. That's all they make.

If you went around all the U.S. Wal-Marts and collected up the most uneducated and least attractive women in the U.S. and scattered them around the parks of Hong Kong, I don't think it would be a pretty picture either.

But, you are seeing a very specific demographic there, and not an accurate overall representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or