U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Chongqing be a world class city?
Never 4 66.67%
If it grows even faster 0 0%
Yes, 5 years 1 16.67%
Yes, 10 years 1 16.67%
Yes, 15 years 0 0%
Yes, 20 years 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM

590 posts, read 669,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Cage View Post
Chongqing is China's most rapidly growing city in terms of economy, population, and size. As it is rapidly growing the spectacular world class complex called Raffles city will be completed soon. Do you think Chongqing will be a city on the scale on Shanghai and Hong Kong? If so, around when will it reach that status? Will it be flooded with people from around the world touring and living there?
Depends on the requirements to be a world class city. Due to its location, it will probably never have the number of international visitors that Shanghai and Hong Kong have. It has decent public transportation, but no up to the standards of world class cities. However, in terms of simply having the "wow factor", it already is world class. So many Chinese cities have impressive skylines, but in my opinion, Chongqing is a close 3rd behind Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM

816 posts, read 1,572,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i see more threads on chongqing on this forum than i do on shanghai or guangzhou. i don't know what you mean by your statement, most ppl dont know anything about anything. but chongqing is well known. been there a few times and most ppl i know have been there.
You're using an internet forum as proof? Okay.

What are the least known BIG cities in the world?

And if you want anecdotal evidence I can do that too. Not one non-Chinese person I know has ever been to Chongqing. Even my most well traveled friend who has been to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Xi'an, Nanjing, Harbin, and Suzhou has never been to Chongqing.

But enough he-said-she-said. How about what these organizations have to say

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

66th on Global Cities index. Beneath places like Lagos and Bogota (where?).

87th on Global Competitiveness Index. Lower than Bangalore and Muscat (again, where?)

Not on the GaWC list, not even a Gamma- city.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 AM

269 posts, read 331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Depends on the requirements to be a world class city. Due to its location, it will probably never have the number of international visitors that Shanghai and Hong Kong have. It has decent public transportation, but no up to the standards of world class cities. However, in terms of simply having the "wow factor", it already is world class. So many Chinese cities have impressive skylines, but in my opinion, Chongqing is a close 3rd behind Shanghai and Hong Kong.

This. I've been to Chongqing several times and am always blown away by its size and night scenery. It's a great city to explore on foot as well. I'm actually surprised it isn't more well known, but then you realize that there are at least a dozen cities in China with a population of greater than 5 million that most people are completely unaware of. I don't believe it will become the major international city of the Southwest as Chengdu seems to be claiming that title already. Still worth checking out as a less Westernized version of other mega-cities.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 AM

6,769 posts, read 6,702,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
This. I've been to Chongqing several times and am always blown away by its size and night scenery. It's a great city to explore on foot as well. I'm actually surprised it isn't more well known, but then you realize that there are at least a dozen cities in China with a population of greater than 5 million that most people are completely unaware of. I don't believe it will become the major international city of the Southwest as Chengdu seems to be claiming that title already. Still worth checking out as a less Westernized version of other mega-cities.
Chengdu and Chongqing are rivals and people from the two cities often fight with each other.

Do you live in Sichuan? Your ID is obviously Sichuanese.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM

I used to live in Chengdu for a few years, though I've just returned to the States. Chongqing feels bigger and a bit more modernized than Chengdu, but investment is being poured into Chengdu like crazy now. The biggest building in the world (in terms of square-meters), just opened up in Chengdu. Also, the fortune global forum was held in there in June. Give it a few more years and it will become the undisputed king of the Southwest. It's funny though, if you look on some simplistic maps depicting China they will often list Chongqing in the region, but not Chengdu.

Yeah, the name I just kinda punched in there. Couldn't think of anything else, heh.

Last edited by guawazi; 07-21-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I used to live in Chengdu for a few years, though I've just returned to the States. Chongqing feels bigger and a bit more modernized than Chengdu, but investment is being poured into Chengdu like crazy now. The biggest building in the world (in terms of square-meters), just opened up in Chengdu. Also, the fortune global forum was held in there in June. Give it a few more years and it will become the undisputed king of the Southwest. It's funny though, if you look on some simplistic maps depicting China they will often list Chongqing in region, but not Chengdu.

Yeah, the name I just kinda punched in there. Couldn't think of anything else, heh.
Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan, which has 80 million people and a lot of resources.
Under China's ecopolitical model, being a provincial capital has a lot of advantages.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Under China's ecopolitical model, being a provincial capital has a lot of advantages.
Yes, it does. Being the capital of arguably the hottest girls in the country AND the most lovable creatures on the planet (pandas!) has its advantages as well.

Last edited by guawazi; 07-21-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM

15,969 posts, read 36,467,370 times
It's definitely a beautiful city!

A lot of construction there too....continually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgZnKGTpE8

Old Today, 08:32 AM

10,243 posts, read 6,775,335 times
Quote:
I used to live in Chengdu for a few years, though I've just returned to the States. Chongqing feels bigger and a bit more modernized than Chengdu, but investment is being poured into Chengdu like crazy now. The biggest building in the world (in terms of square-meters), just opened up in Chengdu. Also, the fortune global forum was held in there in June. Give it a few more years and it will become the undisputed king of the Southwest. It's funny though, if you look on some simplistic maps depicting China they will often list Chongqing in the region, but not Chengdu.

Well, I hope that Chongqing doesn't lose its charm in its rapid fire "modernization" efforts. I used to like Hangzhou a lot but the last time I was there (2 years ago), just didn't recognize it...I liked it a lot because it was mellower than Shanghai - the lake helps...but many parts of it just seems like tall glass buildings, many highways that isn't very different from a whole lot of other Chinese cities.

Old Today, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I hope that Chongqing doesn't lose its charm in its rapid fire "modernization" efforts. I used to like Hangzhou a lot but the last time I was there (2 years ago), just didn't recognize it...I liked it a lot because it was mellower than Shanghai - the lake helps...but many parts of it just seems like tall glass buildings, many highways that isn't very different from a whole lot of other Chinese cities.
Chongqing will always be unique because it is literally a mega city on the hills. GPS is often useless because the city is 3D, with some streets right on top of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or