U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Chongqing be a world class city?
Never 4 66.67%
If it grows even faster 0 0%
Yes, 5 years 1 16.67%
Yes, 10 years 1 16.67%
Yes, 15 years 0 0%
Yes, 20 years 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,673 times

Advertisements

Chongqing is China's most rapidly growing city in terms of economy, population, and size. As it is rapidly growing the spectacular world class complex called Raffles city will be completed soon. Do you think Chongqing will be a city on the scale on Shanghai and Hong Kong? If so, around when will it reach that status? Will it be flooded with people from around the world touring and living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,572,489 times
What differentiates Chongqing from any of China's other booming cities? Guangzhou, Tianjin and Shenzhen will become world class cities before Chongqing will.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 PM

6,769 posts, read 6,702,301 times
BTW Chongqing is the cloudiest major city in the whole world, with only 1000 hours sunshine per year (about 3 hours a day).

Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 AM

15,969 posts, read 36,467,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Cage View Post
Chongqing is China's most rapidly growing city in terms of economy, population, and size. As it is rapidly growing the spectacular world class complex called Raffles city will be completed soon. Do you think Chongqing will be a city on the scale on Shanghai and Hong Kong? If so, around when will it reach that status? Will it be flooded with people from around the world touring and living there?
I've been fascinated by Chongqing simply because it's a massive city WITHOUT the issues of a Shanghai - i.e. tons of expats with expat salaries, tons of materialistic locals with the perception that all foreigners are expats with deep pockets, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
What differentiates Chongqing from any of China's other booming cities? Guangzhou, Tianjin and Shenzhen will become world class cities before Chongqing will.
I remember hearing from somewhere Chongqings population and economy are growing at an extremely rapid pace. I'm not sure any of those other cities are growing as rapid as Chongqing. But I haven't read as much about those cities so I'm not sure.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,455,052 times
I drove thru-past-and out of Chonqing four years ago on the way to the airport after disembarking from a river cruise.
Granted, I was not there very long, but lord-amighty it was scary! From the surrounding hills looking down it appeared as a smog-filled, people-clogged, water-bogged grey-coloured smokestacked city of the awful future that you see in sci-fi movies.
Honestly, I got the creeps. I saw the sun 2 days in a month in China - in Xian. Unfortunately, the ever-present grey-ness of this trip endured long after the memories of the friendly people have faded.
I have no intentions of ever going back.
World class city? Really?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM

15,969 posts, read 36,467,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I drove thru-past-and out of Chonqing four years ago on the way to the airport after disembarking from a river cruise.
Granted, I was not there very long, but lord-amighty it was scary! From the surrounding hills looking down it appeared as a smog-filled, people-clogged, water-bogged grey-coloured smokestacked city of the awful future that you see in sci-fi movies.
Honestly, I got the creeps. I saw the sun 2 days in a month in China - in Xian. Unfortunately, the ever-present grey-ness of this trip endured long after the memories of the friendly people have faded.
I have no intentions of ever going back.
World class city? Really?
That actually sounds really appealing to me.

But, I've lived in New York City, Sao Paulo, Seoul, etc. Something about big monstrous masses of humanity and buildings and everything you can imagine just really appeals to me.

Chongqing is an unusually almost uknown one, which is even more intriguing. I'd definitely love to at least experience it in my lifetime.

That being said, I don't ever see it becoming a Hong Kong or Shanghai. I see Chongqing being the Chinese version of other big massive 'no-one-cares-about-it' cities in the ranks of Dhaka, Bangladesh, and such.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,807,693 times
i thought it already was?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM

816 posts, read 1,572,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i thought it already was?
Most people outside of China don't even know it exists.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,807,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Most people outside of China don't even know it exists.
i see more threads on chongqing on this forum than i do on shanghai or guangzhou. i don't know what you mean by your statement, most ppl dont know anything about anything. but chongqing is well known. been there a few times and most ppl i know have been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or