U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM

44 posts, read 67,514 times

Advertisements

Hey there...my husband has been offered a year work term (with the option to extend) in Manila. This terrifies yet excites me...his office is in the Makita(?) area.

I would love some advice/dos don'ts/ are you crazy to want to move there opinions, are there any expats

We're young, two little girls 4&2..I believe this is such an opportunity but at the same time....EEK!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Makati is nice

Makati City CBD - Philippines - YouTube

Just stay within the Makati & Bonifacio Global City area and you'll almost feel like you're not in a 3rd world country

Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Thanks Smtchll....looking at that video makes it look quite lovely! I mean, I know it's going to be like Canada....lol

It's really the safety factor that I worry about...of course reading stuff online you're going to read the worst. Like, if we were to just stay in the Makati area, is it really "safe", I know like any city there are places to avoid etc..but in a general sense..

Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Yes, it's very safe. Manila as a whole is as safe/dangerous as the average American city, and Makati is even safer. Most foreigners in Manila live in Makati and neighboring Bonifacio Global City, so you won't stand out that much.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Philippines ? An Expat can live as a King with maids and chauffeur.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 AM

Thanks, I mean,I know it's going to be a culture shock..it's pretty quiet where I'm from lol

Apparently we'll have a driver and housekeeper, which will be interesting... I don't know what I'll do with myself all day!

Is there a large expat community there? Do they live anywhere in particular in Makati? Or just wherever. We've been looking at condos online...they look beautiful!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachthor View Post
Thanks, I mean,I know it's going to be a culture shock..it's pretty quiet where I'm from lol

Apparently we'll have a driver and housekeeper, which will be interesting... I don't know what I'll do with myself all day!

Is there a large expat community there? Do they live anywhere in particular in Makati? Or just wherever. We've been looking at condos online...they look beautiful!
Most of the expats live in Makati.

The safety issues come with dealing with local taxi drivers. Some are quite adept at ripping people off. But if you have your own driver, than you won't have to worry about that at all.

Most likely you'll be dropped off in front of large air-conditioned malls throughout Manila, by your driver, and in those places, you have little to worry about. It's when you live in shady neighborhoods, and you are walking around all over the place in your shady neighborhood, when you have issues.

But, if you have any money at all, you'll be living in a good area with high security, and if you are being wizzed around by a personal driver, you'll have little to worry about.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Makati is pretty safe. It is a very busy financial district and is a very expensive area to live in. As Filipino life is mostly centered around shopping malls, the area around Greenbelt and Glorietta malls (the intersection of Ayala Avenue and Makati Avenue) are among the busiest and you can find five-star hotels like Makati Shangri-La there. Forbes Park, which is the most expensive gated community in the country is also nearby. So if you can afford to live near this area, and your husband's office also happens to be near here, then there's not much to worry about. Even the Canadian Embassy is located in this area. You have a housekeeper and a chauffeur to take you around, so it's not like you have to deal with taxi drivers trying to rip you off. Manila's traffic (especially if you have to drive through EDSA) is horrendous and several areas are flood prone. However, if you are in Makati, you don't have to deal with the traffic and flood nightmare. Most locals who work in Makati cannot afford to live nearby due to the costs. The Philippines is very cheap if you are used to US or Canadian income levels, although Forbes Park is still extremely expensive by global standards.

Everything functions pretty much in English in the Philippines, so not much to worry about there. Like Canada, the Philippines has a lot of American influence but official transactions have gone metric, therefore meat and other food items are sold by the kilogram, temperature is measured in Celsius (although you don't have to check that much as outside temperature is almost always around 30 degrees C), etc.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the info. We're just in the process of figuring out logistics, contracts etc...exciting times!

Do any of you know much about the Salcedo area? In terms of housing etc

Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Makati has several gated villages. I grew up in Magallanes and Dasmarinas. My grandparents were in Forbes Park, prob the most expensive in the country. I'd look at map and check out the villages if you are getting a house, else plenty nice condos and malls that are better than anything I've seen when I used to live in the GTA. Condos in Bonifacio city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia