U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM

5,096 posts, read 8,076,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Yes, 99% of the taxi drivers in Bangkok I have faced were honest and efficient. It was that one, that left a poor impression on me. BTS is efficient and bypasses the traffic congestion in Bangkok, which is a story for another day.
I know what you mean. It can take just one bad experience to catch in your craw. It's the other 99% that makes up for it. I agree, the traffic jams on major roads can be pretty insane in BKK. Rush Hour is more like Rush Hours. A person could write an entire book on that. There are times though when the BTS can get pretty cramped as well, which you've probably noticed. In spite of all the craziness, BKK and the rest of Thailand is a memorable experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,896,420 times
interesting stuff from a japanese tourist...getting to pet a sedated tiger, etc...

ホストが旅行,タイ美人,可愛い女の* とタイ,バンコク,パタヤ trip Bangkok Pattaya,Thai girl,host club japan - YouTube

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,809,905 times
Many foreigners know to take their shoes off when going into a temple and to not point their toes at the Buddha when sitting, but when entering a temple, do not step on the frame of the temple in the doorway. Step over it. The wife always has to remind me to do it.

I've almost never had a problem taking a taxi in Bangkok. It's likely you won't know if a taxi driver is taking the long route or not or maybe they are taking the long route to avoid a long red light or traffic. Taxi fare in Bangkok is extremely cheap, so even if you get taken for ride it may not even be worth making a scene over. An long rode from BKK to the outskirts of Bangkok only cost me about $25. If I were take the same ride in nyc it would have easily cost over $250. Overall, getting around isn't usually a major problem.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:35 AM

5,096 posts, read 8,076,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Many foreigners know to take their shoes off when going into a temple and to not point their toes at the Buddha when sitting, but when entering a temple, do not step on the frame of the temple in the doorway. Step over it. The wife always has to remind me to do it.
LOL! I hear that from my wife as well. I usually have to say, "Mia jaa, reu laew." It's also often appreciated to remove your shoes before entering someone's house. Faster and easier to do wearing flip-flops. No need to do that in hotels, restaurants, shops or businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Overall, getting around isn't usually a major problem.
Except during rush hours. Near lunch time Sukhumvit Road off the Din Daeng expressway can get pretty busy as well. The sky train is a good way to get around to many general locations, then hop a taxi or tuk-tuk if the desired location isn't nearby a sky train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia