U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 AM

208 posts, read 224,171 times

Advertisements

There is a slogan in China that a patriotic act should not be considered a crime. This is why the destruction of Japanese cars, restaurants, etc by anti-Japan demonstrators is virtually permitted in that nation. Also an opinion survey conducted by a Chinese portal site showed that 80 percent of respondents supported the attack on the Japanese ambassador's car. It is alarming that many people praised the attack, calling the suspects "heroes". We must point out that the strong effects on Chinese people of the patriotic education by Chinese authorities are behind the radicalization of their extreme nationalistic/anti-Japanese sentiments. In the 1990s, the Chinese government under Jiang Zemin introduced new guidelines of “patriotic education” that included anti-Japanese lessons for primary, middle and high school students. They wanted to prevent a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square incident in 1989, which was triggered by young people seeking greater democratization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM

2,704 posts, read 4,700,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
There is a slogan in China that a patriotic act should not be considered a crime. This is why the destruction of Japanese cars, restaurants, etc by anti-Japan demonstrators is virtually permitted in that nation. Also an opinion survey conducted by a Chinese portal site showed that 80 percent of respondents supported the attack on the Japanese ambassador's car. It is alarming that many people praised the attack, calling the suspects "heroes". We must point out that the strong effects on Chinese people of the patriotic education by Chinese authorities are behind the radicalization of their extreme nationalistic/anti-Japanese sentiments. In the 1990s, the Chinese government under Jiang Zemin introduced new guidelines of “patriotic education” that included anti-Japanese lessons for primary, middle and high school students. They wanted to prevent a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square incident in 1989, which was triggered by young people seeking greater democratization.
Very true! My wife is Chinese, was in high school and college there in the 90's and early 2000's. It seemed the education they got there of the outside world was a very detailed list of what is wrong with each and every other place in the world. I saw a text book she had about the U.S. (in English) which had a lot of details about how our government works and it was very opinionated in breaking down almost every single item talking about what is wrong with it, what is perceived to be wrong with how we do these things. It's interesting because they come out with these ideas and yet have no clue about any down sides to how things are done at home- and if you try to point out any flaws with what is done in China it goes against what they have learned and they just write you off as having been taught anti Chinese propaganda.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM

590 posts, read 667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Being an American, I don't think I could stand living in a county with extreme nationalism.
Not extreme nationalism, but in my opinion, you are living in a country with a significant culture of nationalism and American superiority.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM

79,232 posts, read 71,437,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
It's somewhat discomforting to see how extremely nationalistic China is. You have people aching for war with Japan over some non-inhabited islands (although yes I know the Japanese are no better). You had a chinese student who received death threats because of some innocent criticism of her country. And of course on 9/11 you had many chinese cheer because americans were dying.

So have any of you had personal experience with china's extreme nationalism? Have you ever met with hostility for being american, Japanese or whatever.
It's not "nationalism" if it's an expression of the ethnic majority, don't you know? It's called "patriotism". "Nationalism" is when ethnic minorities express pride in their history, traditions, and identity, and it's a no-no. When the majority does that, they're just being patriotic. That's how it's viewed in Russia. It works for them (as long as you're an ethnic Russian...)

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,065,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I saw a survey that says the country that hates Japanese the most is Korea, and China is the second.
Japan is the most popular Asian country in the west though.

I think many westerners find Japanese culture fantastic, but Chinese people tend to think "those things were stolen from China" so they only focus on the negative part.
Yes I'm sure this is the reason for the hate. Nevermind a little thing that happened called the Second Sino Japanese War...

Anyway, the most extreme views are always held by the less educated in any country. Go talk to the educated people in China and I'm sure you won't encounter as much extreme nationalism.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 11,267 times
I don't think Chinese are more nationalistic than people in most other countries. Proud? Sure. They should be proud of their history and what their nation has accomplished in the past few decades. And quite frankly I think their citizens should be allowed a bit of chip on their shoulders based on what outsiders did to their country. Having said that, there are idiots in every country. For everyone of those people you see on TV rioting against Japan or any other country, there are many more shaking their heads and feeling ashamed of how they're making China look. Most people in China are friendly, warm people.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 PM

513 posts, read 811,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
It's somewhat discomforting to see how extremely nationalistic China is. You have people aching for war with Japan over some non-inhabited islands (although yes I know the Japanese are no better). You had a chinese student who received death threats because of some innocent criticism of her country. And of course on 9/11 you had many chinese cheer because americans were dying.

So have any of you had personal experience with china's extreme nationalism? Have you ever met with hostility for being american, Japanese or whatever.

That is BS. Chinese were not celebrating 9/11. That was the militant islamic nations like Iran. Chinese treat americans better then Americans treat Chinese. Yes, Chinese have extreme nationalism. Something that self-loathing liberals who run the US govt cannot relate to.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 AM

27 posts, read 27,651 times
hehe ... i am a Chinese woman ....

most chinese treat foreigner very friendly, if you visit china ,you would find this....

Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 PM

590 posts, read 667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
That is BS. Chinese were not celebrating 9/11. That was the militant islamic nations like Iran. Chinese treat americans better then Americans treat Chinese. Yes, Chinese have extreme nationalism. Something that self-loathing liberals who run the US govt cannot relate to.
I have no desire to relate to extreme nationalism. It is unhealthy in any country. However, I do agree that most Chinese treat Americans politely in China.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM

11 posts, read 26,837 times
I lived in China for 6 months and in my entire stay there I haven't seen the 'extreme nationalism' that you are referring to. The people there are more westernized now. But I'm still not sure in other places because I lived in the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or