Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
What I am going to write is based on only on my own observation and based on Korean-Americans.

I have seen quite a few marriages between a Korean-American woman and a Chinese or Taiwanese-American man. Of intermarriages between Korean-Americans and Chinese or Taiwanese-Americans, it seems like 9 times out of 10, it is the woman who is Korean-American and the man is Chinese or Taiwanese-American. I've seen it among my friends and also relatives.
So statistically it seems Korean women are more likely to outmarry...or at least anecdotally. Now i wonder what the reasons for this area...if you're talking Korean-AMERICAN I doubt it's xenophobia, since they're American. Yeah I can't really comment here. I know in Korea itself a lot more Korean men are starting to marry more foreign women.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So statistically it seems Korean women are more likely to outmarry...or at least anecdotally. Now i wonder what the reasons for this area...if you're talking Korean-AMERICAN I doubt it's xenophobia, since they're American. Yeah I can't really comment here. I know in Korea itself a lot more Korean men are starting to marry more foreign women.
Is this for Koreans or Korean-Americans? I thought the person before was referring to Korean-Americans.

I wouldn't expect trends for diasporic communities to match those in the homeland because the culture/environment is so different anyways.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Is this for Koreans or Korean-Americans? I thought the person before was referring to Korean-Americans.

I wouldn't expect trends for diasporic communities to match those in the homeland because the culture/environment is so different anyways.
Yeah it's more about Koreans in Korea.

Well, some communities are probably less integrated in some ways. For instance among Asian groups, Filipinos and Japanese are a lot more likely to marry outside their ethnic group than Koreans or Vietnamese. In my experience, Korean and Vietnamese immigrant communities tend to retain a lot of their culture. Chinese in the middle. Japanese Americans have generally been in the US longer though too while almost all Korean and Vietnamese immigration was post 1960s.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah it's more about Koreans in Korea.

Well, some communities are probably less integrated in some ways. For instance among Asian groups, Filipinos and Japanese are a lot more likely to marry outside their ethnic group than Koreans or Vietnamese. In my experience, Korean and Vietnamese immigrant communities tend to retain a lot of their culture. Chinese in the middle. Japanese Americans have generally been in the US longer though too while almost all Korean and Vietnamese immigration was post 1960s.
I think it's generally the longer the communities have been established the more intermarriage (for both men and women) happens.

Japanese Americans, as far as I can tell are the only Asian-Americans where the majority of people outmarry, and also the only Asian-American group where most are not foreign born, whereas for all the other Asian-American groups, most are first-generation immigrants. (There was little post 1960s Japanese immigration, since by the time most other Asians were immigrating, Japan was already industrialized). In that sense, Japanese-American immigration is almost closer to Irish or Italian immigration in historical timeframe than it is to Vietnamese or Korean.

I don't know how it is in Australia, but it's apparently a similar thing in Canada too (where those of Japanese descent outmarry the most and on average have been there for more generations than most other Asian groups).

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I think it's generally the longer the communities have been established the more intermarriage (for both men and women) happens.

Japanese Americans, as far as I can tell are the only Asian-Americans where the majority of people outmarry, and also the only Asian-American group where most are not foreign born, whereas for all the other Asian-American groups, most are first-generation immigrants. (There was little post 1960s Japanese immigration, since by the time most other Asians were immigrating, Japan was already industrialized). In that sense, Japanese-American immigration is almost closer to Irish or Italian immigration in historical timeframe than it is to Vietnamese or Korean.

I don't know how it is in Australia, but it's apparently a similar thing in Canada too (where those of Japanese descent outmarry the most and on average have been there for more generations than most other Asian groups).
Yes, plus Japanese Americans were also common in large numbers and produced a lot of crops on farms in California. They were evicted from their land when they were interned and for the most part never recovered it. Chinese immigration is also very old, and if not for discriminatory policies the Chinese would be as well established as European Americans.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:

I noticed a lot of Japanese Americans intermarry with caucasions, both the men and the women

some Japanese men are like asian red necks and own ranches, wear cowboy hats & cowboy boots and marry a white woman, Ive seen a lot of those in California

Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I noticed a lot of Japanese Americans intermarry with caucasions, both the men and the women

some Japanese men are like asian red necks and own ranches, wear cowboy hats & cowboy boots and marry a white woman, Ive seen a lot of those in California
Well considering Japanese Americans use to own a lot of farms in California, they're just going back to their roots in a way haha.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
in my experience I do notice Japanese Americans are very friendly & hospitable , you never hear of any problems in the Japanese American community, they're like the model citizens

Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 AM

143 posts, read 188,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
So what's the deal with Korean men? Why do they get so upset when they see a korean woman with a foreign man?
We were in Pusan one evening for a little R&R after a long and demanding week. Wandered to a seemingly interesting dancing club and there was a line of eager co-eds trying to get inside this place. We spotted a group of 3 posh young ladies and struck up a conversation with them. They show some mutual interests to hang out with us when we would get inside the club. We were watched by a group of Korean males and Unbeknownst to us, they complained to the bouncers that we were hitting on their "dates" and asked the bouncers to block us from entering the premise. We had a sense that these guys would physically confronted us in the club, had we gone inside with these ladies.

Long story short, we were not allowed to go inside since we were deemed as "trouble makers" and ended up at a college party (more socially acceptable for foreigners) with other expats with the similar experiences.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,564,548 times
Japanese Americans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORjVWfEkGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-R9Buk2oI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia