U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 AM

6,324 posts, read 6,992,048 times

Advertisements

Hi, I did a quick search and didn't find the info I'm looking for so I thought I'd start my own thread.

Just wondering if it's worth visiting Manila for only ~48 hours. Would arrive on a Monday afternoon and depart Wednesday evening. Also we'd have friends who will take care of us during the visit, but it's possible that the arrival and departure times won't suit them so I wonder if we can get around the city or to the airport easily on our own. From what I saw on wikitravel, that might not be so simple? We could use either airport...the main one or Clark.

Yes yes, I figure our friends will be able to answer all of my questions in great detail. They may even have a driver so the travel schedule won't matter. But I am curious so I want to get opinions here as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 AM

10,436 posts, read 12,448,038 times
What country/countries will you visit after the Philippines?
Or do you just fly straight back to Florida

Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,017,116 times
12 of those hours will be spent sitting in traffic

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM

So no thoughts on transit and/or airports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What country/countries will you visit after the Philippines?
Or do you just fly straight back to Florida
no no, definitely not. haha will be in asia for almost a month: HK, Macau, Zhongshan, Taipei, Singapore, Penang (and perhaps Manila) Also thinking about possibly stopping somewhere else on my way from Singapore to Penang. Any recommendations? I'll be alone at this point and am a little intimidated by that fact so I might just stick to KL (I've been there a dozen times in the past although I was much younger and almost exclusively in the suburbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
12 of those hours will be spent sitting in traffic
Ah, good point to consider.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM

10,436 posts, read 12,448,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
So no thoughts on transit and/or airports?

no no, definitely not. haha will be in asia for almost a month: HK, Macau, Zhongshan, Taipei, Singapore, Penang (and perhaps Manila) Also thinking about possibly stopping somewhere else on my way from Singapore to Penang. Any recommendations? I'll be alone at this point and am a little intimidated by that fact so I might just stick to KL (I've been there a dozen times in the past although I was much younger and almost exclusively in the suburbs)
Yeah Manila is worth it for 48 hours, make sure you slept enough the days before you visit, keep your suitcases closed, put an extra shirt and pants in your backpack and not go to bed while your there, just enjoy the nightlife
I did the same thing when i only had 60 hours in NYC.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Yeah Manila is worth it for 48 hours, make sure you slept enough the days before you visit, keep your suitcases closed, put an extra shirt and pants in your backpack and not go to bed while your there, just enjoy the nightlife
I did the same thing when i only had 60 hours in NYC.
haha, is Manila 24-hour nightlife like NYC? On weekdays? Awesome...I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 AM

4 posts, read 7,809 times
Quote:
haha, is Manila 24-hour nightlife like NYC? On weekdays? Awesome...I'll keep that in mind.
Close. And very close to the airport is a spot called "Air Force One" (all taxi drivers know it) that definitely has nothing to do with Harrison Ford or Hollywood, but a lot to do with certain relaxation techniques suitable for jet lagged male travellers. Not a place for the Mrs.! Clean. Attached to a karaoke lounge. Enjoy your flight sir!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Hi, I did a quick search and didn't find the info I'm looking for so I thought I'd start my own thread.

Just wondering if it's worth visiting Manila for only ~48 hours. Would arrive on a Monday afternoon and depart Wednesday evening. Also we'd have friends who will take care of us during the visit, but it's possible that the arrival and departure times won't suit them so I wonder if we can get around the city or to the airport easily on our own. From what I saw on wikitravel, that might not be so simple? We could use either airport...the main one or Clark.

Yes yes, I figure our friends will be able to answer all of my questions in great detail. They may even have a driver so the travel schedule won't matter. But I am curious so I want to get opinions here as well. Thanks!
Clark is a few hours away from Manila, so don't go there. Clark is basically the airport for sex tourists who go to Angeles City - the go-go bar city of all prostitutes. Unless your main purpose is as sex tourists, I'd skip Clark.

If you fly directly into Manila, it'll take an hour to get to Makati, or Malate/Ermita depending on where you are staying. Most foreigners usually stay in one of those two areas.

For getting around the city, you'll mostly be reliant on TAXIS. There are trains and jeepneys and such, but they aren't that conducive to tourists and such. Taxis, you'll get overcharged about half of the time.

But, anyways, you will be able to get around the city quite easily with taxis. Some will be honest, some won't. You can almost 100% count on any taxi sitting at the airport to be dishonest though. But when you come out of other places throughout Manila, it's about a 50/50 shot. Sometimes you just have to deal with it, and realize that even if they are charging you an extra few dollars, you're still doing alright financially.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
NYC is one of the best nightlife spots in North America by far. But, by Asian standards, even NYC feels a little quiet comparitively.

I lived in NYC for a few years, and the nightlife is 1000 times more fun in cities like Manila and Bangkok. MNL/BKK take it all to another level.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM

16,674 posts, read 14,115,334 times
Quote:

I am an american who lived and went to school in the Philippines for years.

First, please fly in to Ninoy Aquino and not Clark. Ask your friends to arrange for a driver for you even if they cannot put you up. It is cheap and the best way to get around. If not, taxis are easy, the drivers alwys speak English well enough to get your from point A to Point B.

If you are flying from the states, you won't have enough time to get over your jet lag. Are you going someplace else in the Philippines too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia