Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,023,053 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is Thai and lives with me in the Netherlands now, we will go back to Thailand to get some paperwork done in January and will stay for 3 months, in that period we have a lot of time for traveling but only in Thailand, what places do you guys recommend?

Already been to...

-Bangkok (Don Mueang, Lak Si, Bang Khen, Chatuchak, Lat Phrao, Phaya Thai, Din Daeng, Huai Khwang, Wang Thonglang, Bang Kapi, Ratchathewi, Wang Mai, Pathum Wan, Lumphini, Bang Rank, Sathon, Khlong Toei, Khlong Tan, Watthana, Phra Khanong)

-Phuket Province (Patong, Kathu, Phuket Town, Karon)

-Phi Phi Islands

-Nakhon Ratchasima Province (Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaloem Phra Kiat)

-Chiang Mai Province (Chiang Mai, Mae Rim)

-Prachuap Khiri Khan Province (Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thap Sakae, Bang Saphan)

Not interested in Pattaya (by far the most dangerous place in Thailand), if i want to monger i go to Phuket or even Bangkok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
My girlfriend is Thai and lives with me in the Netherlands now, we will go back to Thailand to get some paperwork done in January and will stay for 3 months, in that period we have a lot of time for traveling but only in Thailand, what places do you guys recommend?

Already been to...

-Bangkok (Don Mueang, Lak Si, Bang Khen, Chatuchak, Lat Phrao, Phaya Thai, Din Daeng, Huai Khwang, Wang Thonglang, Bang Kapi, Ratchathewi, Wang Mai, Pathum Wan, Lumphini, Bang Rank, Sathon, Khlong Toei, Khlong Tan, Watthana, Phra Khanong)

-Phuket Province (Patong, Kathu, Phuket Town, Karon)

-Phi Phi Islands

-Nakhon Ratchasima Province (Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaloem Phra Kiat)

-Chiang Mai Province (Chiang Mai, Mae Rim)

-Prachuap Khiri Khan Province (Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thap Sakae, Bang Saphan)

Not interested in Pattaya (by far the most dangerous place in Thailand), if i want to monger i go to Phuket or even Bangkok

Davy, what part of Thailand is your girlfriend from? Three months would be a nice amount of time for a look at a wider range of locations and features in Thailand. January through March would be a good time of year to go, although by March temperatures can get pretty toasty. November through January tends to be cooler although you definitely won't be needing to bring along a winter coat.

I suppose if you have your girlfriend in tow, then yes, I can understand that gawking at the girls in Pattaya might be "dangerous" for you . The closest I've been to Pattaya was Bang Saen Beach (north of Pattaya), and the Marine Aquarium with its exotic collection of sea life. Pattaya is legendary for its 'seedy' side and bars, but that's just a small area of the city. There's a lot more to the city that's actually interesting for all ages.

Other places around Thailand to consider visiting include:

Ayutthaya
A former capital of Thailand. Loads of ancient structures and ruins scattered around the city. The National Museum there isn't very large, but well worth a visit to see the displays of ancient crown jewels and other historical artifacts. You have to remove your shoes before entering. Somewhat to the northwest (I think) side of the city is the Elephant Corral which was built long ago to hold herds of wild elephants to train and domesticate them. Elephants were the tank of the ancient world there, and used in battle against the invading Burmese. To the south of the city is Bang-Pa Inn, an elegant complex of temples as well as structures of the Royal Palace. Very scenic. Most (but not all) of the sites around Ayutthya charge for admission. The charge is modest, but there is a dual pricing, one price for foreigners and a lower one for Thai citizens. The fees help with the support and upkeep of these fine pieces of history. The city is not very large in size. We spent a fair amount of time there years ago as it's the home of our son-in-law's family.

Sukhothai
This is the location of Thailand's first capital. My wife was born there. The city itself is pretty small and quiet with not much of great interest to anyone other than the locals. The city had been relocated from what is called "Muang Gow" (The Old City). It's the old city that holds one of the most scenic historical parks in the country which was the location of the Royal Palace. Most of the structures are ruins. The chedi (still intact and standing) is located next to a large pond and is a must-see for photographers because of the stunning view of the chedi and its reflection in the water. There are other spots around the area that also contain the remains of ancient structures. There's a small historical museum in the old city (not in the park) with displays of what life was like there long ago.

Somewhat northeast of the 'new' city is another historical park called Sri Satchanalai Historical Park. There are more ruins to be seen, but the location is very nature-like and tranquil, shaded with trees, and worth visiting. Some people think it's more beautiful and peaceful than Muang Gow.

Phitsanulok
If a person is visiting Sukhothai, it's not too far to the city of Phitsanulok. P'lok seems larger than Sukhothai and has more activity than Sukhothai does. It's home to Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahatat Woramahawihan (called Wat Yai by the locals) which houses the famous Chinnarat Buddha statue, which is absolutely stunning with its style often copied. Many of the wats around Thailand do not permit photos to be taken, but I believe you can at Wat Yai. It's always best to ask to be sure before snapping any pictures though.

Along the river at P'lok, are a number of food stalls. One is known for its Flying Morning Glory dish. One person with a pan of the cooked food hurls the food high into the air which is expertly caught by another guy with a pan some distance away. It's impressively entertaining.

If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to post a few videos showing some of the highlights of the above locations. I'll post some more locations elsewhere in the country (the ones I'm famiiar with) worth visiting.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
1.Davy, what part of Thailand is your girlfriend from?

2.Three months would be a nice amount of time for a look at a wider range of locations and features in Thailand. January through March would be a good time of year to go, although by March temperatures can get pretty toasty. November through January tends to be cooler although you definitely won't be needing to bring along a winter coat.

3.I suppose if you have your girlfriend in tow, then yes, I can understand that gawking at the girls in Pattaya might be "dangerous" for you . The closest I've been to Pattaya was Bang Saen Beach (north of Pattaya), and the Marine Aquarium with its exotic collection of sea life.

4.Pattaya is legendary for its 'seedy' side and bars, but that's just a small area of the city. There's a lot more to the city that's actually interesting for all ages.
1.Nakhon Ratchasima (Gateway to Isaan).

2.I know, have been in Thailand for 12 months in the last 20.

3.Not only because of my girlfriend but Pattaya has by far the highest crime rate in Thailand.

4.Actually it's spread all over town, they don't call it the Ho Capital of the World for nothing.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
1.Nakhon Ratchasima (Gateway to Isaan).
Never been there, but got pretty close to the provincial border between Saraburi and Korat. We were at some swimming area of a stream in Saraburi with a very low slide-type waterfall. It was sort of like a park with a few vendors in the parking area. I didn't swim, but I did get my feet wet to cool off. Seems like it way off the main highway and out there in the rural sticks.

Quote:
2.I know, have been in Thailand for 12 months in the last 20.
WOW! That's a pretty impressive amount of time in 20 months. You probably know as much about the country. or part of it, as anyone. Looking back on your list of places you've been, you might want to consider some of the places I mentioned. You might also think about the Issan cities of Khon Kaen or Surin sometime too. Are you thinking about possibly living in Thailand sometime in the future?

Quote:
3.Not only because of my girlfriend but Pattaya has by far the highest crime rate in Thailand.
I guess I just don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about crime rates. There are places I don't go to, of course, but mostly because I either haven't had the time to or I'm just not that interested in visiting for one reason or another. It's mostly a matter of preferences for me. There have been unpleasant incidents that have occured there every now and then though.

Quote:
4.Actually it's spread all over town, they don't call it the Ho Capital of the World for nothing.
I suppose, but I'm pretty sure you have a general idea of the area I was talking about. Imabit confused. So then you've been to Pattaya? Or not?

Sure, it has a reputation as a destination for sexpats, but then so are Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy, and Soi Nana in BKK. I know what you mean though. The problem with descriptions like "Ho Capital of the World," even though there are people who think like that, is that it has a pretty negative connotation that unfortunately laps over by association to the rest of the general population who live there and don't deserve the term at all. It really depends on where a person goes, what sort of things they're looking for, and what they want to do, if you see what I mean.

In any case, the point I was making is that there are a good number of things to see and do around there that are a lot more relaxing and interesting. I had a similar view as you about the city, but that pretty much changed when our daughter and son-in-law took us to Bang Saen, the Aquarium, etc. I think there's sort of a small theme park there too. The market with all the crafts made from wood, etc., is also an interesting place. Most people in Pattaya seem to be just regular people like you or me. Some people work on building construction, work in hospitals, department stores, shops, restaurants, hotels, drive taxis and delivery trucks, work in banks and gift shops, government offices and business offices, etc.

A buddy I know indirectly lived at Pattaya with his wife and kids. They built a house in Maha Sarakham province (east of Khon Kaen), and moved there. I've seen scenes of their place in Pattaya. It looked pretty nice, and with the wider surrounding neighborhoods it seems like a very nice community. Not even the slightest hint of sleeze there. Like I said, it all depends on where you go.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
If one had already been to Bangkok why would they bother visiting Pattaya? I guess it's like Bangkok by the beach. I know Patong beach has a similar scene, is there a similar scene in Chiang Mai or is it much more subdued?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If one had already been to Bangkok why would they bother visiting Pattaya? I guess it's like Bangkok by the beach. I know Patong beach has a similar scene, is there a similar scene in Chiang Mai or is it much more subdued?
Chiang Mai sex scene kinda sucks, there is only 1 area with like 20 small bars with 5 girls in it each.
Most aren't pretty enough for Bangkok/Phuket, the hottest i saw was a 7/10.

There are 2 Go-Go bars but they are not located on the main strip, they don't really promote the clubs over there so it's hard to find them.

I've heard there are a couple brothels outside the city centre but it's 99% Thai customers so expect to get overcharged.

I was in Chiang Mai just 2 months ago, i know it was low season but the bar/club nightlife wasvreally disappointing to me, it seems that most tourists there don't care much for prostitutes, it's all about temples, markets, mountains and elephants.

Last edited by Davy-040; 08-31-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I haven't been all over Chiang Mai, so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure there are a few spots. Perhaps not quite as well known or as raunchy if that's what someone is expecting or looking for. Why do some people flock to Patong Beach scene? It's probably for a mix of beach and babes. Admittedly, I haven't toured around any of the deep recesses of Pattaya. The areas I've been to near there were nothing like the typical reputation of the city though. In addition, the government of Thailand has poured money into development in an attempt to change the image to some degree. BKK has some areas noted for "Adult Entertainment", but it'd be pretty loopy to think that's all there is to BKK.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
1.You might also think about the Issan cities of Khon Kaen or Surin sometime too.

2.Are you thinking about possibly living in Thailand sometime in the future?

3.I suppose, but I'm pretty sure you have a general idea of the area I was talking about. Imabit confused. So then you've been to Pattaya? Or not?
1.Yeah maybe but what i've seen from Isaan so far, i'm not really impressed.

2.Only if they do something about the (police-)corruption and the trash on the street/rat problem. I think that will take at least another 20 years.

3.No but I read a lot about Pattaya on forums and i know many people who have been there.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
1.Yeah maybe but what i've seen from Isaan so far, i'm not really impressed.

2.Only if they do something about the (police-)corruption and the trash on the street/rat problem. I think that will take at least another 20 years.

3.No but I read a lot about Pattaya on forums and i know many people who have been there.
1. There are some pretty laid back areas around Issan, but it's different than the Central Plains or the North.

2. The husband of my wife's cousin works for the police department in Sukhothai. He's a pretty friendly sort, and I can't say I've noticed him being corrupt. BKK is a lot different though, but for the average foreigner in the country, they're not likely to ever encounter police corruption. There are always going to be a few rotten apples.

3. Okay, but evidently those posting on forums you've read about Pattaya might be likely to be those who are interested in frequenting the naughtier spots. I wouldn't base such an opinion as a fact about the whole city though. I'm not saying it's not there. It is. I'm just saying there are other things to see and do around there as well. It all depend on a person's preference.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Yeah the cops turn a blind eye towards prostitution (despite it being illegal) because a lot of them visit themselves and to crack down on it would dent the tourist industry, even if the majority of tourists come to Thailand for other reasons.

I actually would like to visit Myanmar one day, for a more authentic/laid back experience of Asia. But I'm sure rural Thailand away from the crowds is nice as well, I just don't think I'll return to Bangkok or Phuket anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia