U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 PM

73 posts, read 127,208 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I would really appreciate any advice or input.

I'm traveling to Cebu, Philippines next week with my family from Korea, along with my sister. Since my sister is 11 years old and I am not a parent, she is required to have an original notarized consent form with her when entering customs in the Philippines.

We only recently found this out, as we thought the embassy in Korea would be able to help us out but that was not the case, since we are American citizens. Now with time running out we are left with one option which is to have our mom from the states mail a notarized consent form to us in Korea, or else I feel that my sister's entry is in jeopardy...or is it?

If it comes to the worst case scenario, where we do not have an original copy of a consent form (we have an unnotarized fax version, though), is it possible for us to enter Philippines? After all, she's traveling with family and I feel that they may be lenient for us but it would be awful to take my sister and be denied entry.

Please help me out and thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
Hi there,

I'm traveling to Cebu, Philippines next week with my family from Korea, along with my sister. Since my sister is 11 years old and I am not a parent, she is required to have an original notarized consent form with her when entering customs in the Philippines.

We only recently found this out, as we thought the embassy in Korea would be able to help us out but that was not the case, since we are American citizens. Now with time running out we are left with one option which is to have our mom from the states mail a notarized consent form to us in Korea, or else I feel that my sister's entry is in jeopardy...or is it?

If it comes to the worst case scenario, where we do not have an original copy of a consent form (we have an unnotarized fax version, though), is it possible for us to enter Philippines? After all, she's traveling with family and I feel that they may be lenient for us but it would be awful to take my sister and be denied entry.

You'll be denied. You should be denied. Get your paperwork in order.

Taking a child into foreign countries without the proper authorized consent is just plain wrong, for one.

I've also been stopped at the Manila Airport for not having an onward ticket, so I'm quite sure they will equally stop you for not having authorized consent to bring a minor into their country without the parent's permission.

Just curious, if you are Americans, how did you enter Korea without parental consent?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,706,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
Hi there,

I don't think you will be denied, because that will create a lot of extra work and costs for Philippines. Just make sure you have a copy of the consent form, and the other relevant documents. Also, you are going to need the signature from the father as well. Or you need proof that his signature is not needed.

In the worst case they will take you in for further questioning and call the mum to check that everything is alright.

But of course you never know what is going to happen and I may be wrong.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've also been stopped at the Manila Airport for not having an onward ticket,
Not having an onward ticket is a much bigger offence, than having copies instead of the original document.

If you don't have an onward ticket, they cannot allow you entry. Its a basic requirement.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I don't think you will be denied, because that will create a lot of extra work and costs for Philippines.
It won't cost or be any work for the Philippines. It's cost and work for the Airlines company. Whatever airline company flew you there, they are required to fly you back to your origin (if your paperwork wasn't in order to be there in the first place).

Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

If you don't have an onward ticket, they cannot allow you entry. Its a basic requirement.
I don't know specifically about the Philippines, but every country Ive ever been to, they are AUTHORIZED to deny entry, if it appears to them that you have no means to assure that you will leave at the end of your visa. In my experience, this is very rarely enforced by an immigration officer, even though he has that discretion. If there is an actual requirement of onward ticket which is always enforced, the airline will not let you on the plane without a return or onward ticket.

The only country I've ever seen it enforced was South Africa, when they had a serious problem with vagabonds wandering in expecting to work illegally for onward funds.

Again, I am not specifically conversant with the Philppines, but the airline will not let you board if they do not believe you have the correct documentation, so your airline is your best source of advice on what you need.

One possibility that is sometimes done, is the US Consulate might give you a notarized letter that says they have seen your documents and they appear to be genuine. I've seen that happen before. US Consulates are, surprisingly, very often helpful when you least expect them to be.

Quote:
You'll be denied. You should be denied. Get your paperwork in order.

Taking a child into foreign countries without the proper authorized consent is just plain wrong, for one.
Do you know the difference between Moral and Legal? Are you saying that it is immoral for them to take the child on a journey, for no other reason than that here is some technical defect in the paperwork?

Do you think it is "just plain wrong" to travel without an onward ticket to a country that requires one, but perfectly moral to fly one way to one that has no such immigration rule? I have entered many, many countries that nominally require an onward ticket, but I didn't have one, and nobody asked. Gee, that makes me such a terrible person. What I did was just plain wrong.

On my landing card, I put down "teacher" for profession, and "Grand Hotel" for intended place of stay. My actual profession was Bum and there is no Grand Hotel. Worse then terrorism. Just plain wrong, not having paperwork in order..

I once went to Mexico with my ex girl friend and her daughter. Nobody asked at the border about authorization for the child to enter. That made us "just plain wrong", and we "should have been" turned back at the border and refused entry. But there is no justice in the world, and we were allowed to continue innocently on our way, heinously without our paperwork in order. Terrible.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-02-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you know the difference between Moral and Legal? Are you saying that it is immoral for them to take the child on a journey, for no other reason than that here is some technical defect in the paperwork?

Do you think it is "just plain wrong" to travel without an onward ticket to a country that requires one, but perfectly moral to fly one way to one that has no such immigration rule? I have entered many, many countries that nominally require an onward ticket, but I didn't have one, and nobody asked. Gee, that makes me such a terrible person. What I did was just plain wrong.
*sigh* that I have to explain this. The laws are in place because there are many cases of one parent taking their children out of country, and the other parent never seeing his or her kids again.

There is nothing wrong with a kid taking a trip. It's when one parent kidnaps the kids, and the other loses all the rights of seeing his/her own children for all time. It's a tragedy, and that's why there is a law in place that the parents have to give written consent for the other parent (or OP's situation, for a non-parent) to take the kids out-of-country. Regarding the 'moral' issue, I do think it's 'morally wrong' for one parent to kidnap their kids.

Regarding the 'without an onward ticket'. I've actually traveled extensively on one-way tickets, and of the few times I was denied entry, once was in Manila, and the penalty is to just go and buy an onward ticket before you can enter the country. (No, I don't think it's 'plain wrong' to travel without an onward ticket. I'm a consistent offender of that myself).

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-02-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
It won't cost or be any work for the Philippines. It's cost and work for the Airlines company. Whatever airline company flew you there, they are required to fly you back to your origin (if your paperwork wasn't in order to be there in the first place).
Just because they charge the airline does not mean it doesn't take time for Philippines to deal with the issue. They can not just cancel your visa immediately. They need to investigate the issue and accommodate you.

If they don't suspect you of doing something illegal, then that is a waste of time. Hence, I think copies of the original documents should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't know specifically about the Philippines, but every country Ive ever been to, they are AUTHORIZED to deny entry, if it appears to them that you have no means to assure that you will leave at the end of your visa. In my experience, this is very rarely enforced by an immigration officer, even though he has that discretion. If there is an actual requirement of onward ticket which is always enforced, the airline will not let you on the plane without a return or onward ticket.
That is true. The airline should check, but they sometimes forget.

Philippines specifically states they want an outward ticket, so if you don't have it then they cannot let you into the country.

Having a copy instead of an original document is not as serious problem. They might not even check. The airline might be anal about it, but I doubt it. Anyway, getting rejected by the airline is a lot better than getting deported by the customs in Philippines.

Last edited by Camlon; 08-02-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times
I would say get your paperwork in order, just in case. But I don't think the immigration officer will even ask. If your sister is traveling with relatives (all of you having the same surname), who looked happy with her traveling companions for a holiday, then I don't think they will even ask. She's already 11 years old, not a small child. The law was there for protection against human trafficking and to avoid child custody battles, but if the immigration officer thinks that is unlikely to be the case, they won't bother asking for the consent form. It's good to be prepared though, so a fax copy of the consent form or some copies of your birth certificates or whatever to prove that you're her sister will most likely suffice, if there is no way you can get an original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia