Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yup. Don't disagree. I do hope China eases up on permanent residency for foreigners who have resided in China for so many years, say 8+ years.
Why? I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
"If a culture wants to romanize their language, then so be it. It's not impossible, Vietnamese did it."

Vietnamese did not romanize their language based on the urge/need of their own culture. The Jesuit priests did it on behalf of them and the French popularized it during the colonial period.
So why didn't they go back to Chinese characters? They could have done it, but chose not to. Which is the point I made. They didn't go back to Chinese characters after independence, ergo, they chose and consented to the change by not changing back

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Hiragana is influenced by the Chinese cuture, just like most European languages originates from Latin. They are two different civilizations and it is stupid to ask one to change to be more like the other. They are not useless, but they ARE the alphabets for the Japanese. WHy are they useless while ABCD is not?

Pinyin is indeed kind of stupid and redundant. It only has the use for teach children about pronunciation, and often the system doesn't make sense. I really dont like it.

Suggesting the Chinese should get rid of their Chinese characters is like asking Europeans languages to get rid of their gender, tense and cases, because obviously, all these make it so hard for the Chinese to learn.

English may not have gender, but I would suggest that it should really standardized its pronunciation or spelling rules so that one should correspond to the other. You can't have 6 difference pronounciations for "ough". That's just crazy.
Before I talk about the first paragraph, were you offended? Because I sense we're having a misunderstanding here

That's the point I was making about hiragana too....outside of verb and adjective conjugation, hiragana is only useful for teaching pronunciation. That's it's only purposes.

Agree. Non-Spanish say the same about Spanish H's. Why do we have it if there's no sound? Well, it's not useless for us, so who cares. Why does English spelling and pronunciation not make sense?

Yeah seriously lol. It's just a lack of perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
"they chose and consented to the change by not changing back"

They didn't choose it and they had no voice in consenting or objecting to the change during the colonial era.

But the reason that they didn't change again after independence is quite obvious. After 80 years of adoption of the Latin script, the cost involved (social + economic) would be enormous if they changed again.

It is just like Mongolia, which was forced to adopt the Cyrillic script during the Soviet era, had a hard time to revert to their tradition script even the current government has tried.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
"they chose and consented to the change by not changing back"

They didn't choose it and they had no voice in consenting or objecting to the change during the colonial era.

But the reason that they didn't change again after independence is quite obvious. After 80 years of adoption of the Latin script, the cost involved (social + economic) would be enormous if they changed again.

It is just like Mongolia, which was forced to adopt the Cyrillic script during the Soviet era, had a hard time to revert to their tradition script even the current government has tried.
So in other words, they lack motivation and the desire to go back

Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why? I hope not.
Because it really doesn't change anything. My children will be Chinese and I can continue to live there, it's just an annoyance having to do a visa run, leave the country for a day or 2 and go back. Permanent residency would make long term foreign residents of China not have to leave on visa runs. Honestly that's all that would change. I have no chance or interest in becoming a Chinese citizen and if I break the law as a permanent resident I can still be deported.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Because it really doesn't change anything. My children will be Chinese and I can continue to live there, it's just an annoyance having to do a visa run, leave the country for a day or 2 and go back. Permanent residency would make long term foreign residents of China not have to leave on visa runs. Honestly that's all that would change. I have no chance or interest in becoming a Chinese citizen and if I break the law as a permanent resident I can still be deported.
Is China one of those countries that if you don't look Chinese, then you're Chinese in name only?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Is China one of those countries that if you don't look Chinese, then you're Chinese in name only?
Yes. Chinese nationality is certainly linked to Chinese ethnicity, especially Han Chinese.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Yes. Chinese nationality is certainly linked to Chinese ethnicity, especially Han Chinese.
So your kids can't be Chinese then? How does that work?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
One reason why Asian cities like Singapore or Hong Kong do not have a larger presence of foreign population is the astronomical price of their real estate which discourages even well-qualified foreign expatriates to settle down.

It is just like most Americans cannot afford to live in NYC.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So your kids can't be Chinese then? How does that work?
If a baby is born in China to at least one Chinese parent they get automatic Chinese citizenship. If one doesn't want their child to be a Chinese citizen you have to go to a government office and renounce their citizenship. However, I imagine my children will look very Chinese and I bet most Chinese will not bat an eye. So Chinese will most likely consider them to be Chinese ethnically. I have some friends who are half Chinese and they never have issues with how people see them. I'm not sure if that is what you are asking in your question. I however will always be a foreigner. After a while one gets used to being an extreme minority and it has its advantages and disadvantages. Chinese people are incredibly friendly to foreigners, so most of the time it is an advantage, except when dealing with government bureaucracy. Most of the time they are inept and don't know how to do things for foreigners. If your patient and friendly, that goes a long way in China.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
It depends on where you live. If you live in Xinjiang, especially South Xinjiang, a "mixed" person won't attract any attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia