Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
West Asia is more diverse than East Asia.
If West Asia is Asia then Europe is Asia too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If West Asia is Asia then Europe is Asia too
The kick I ways get out of is, South Asians and a few West Asian asiaphiles say they are Asian, but it's the indigenous peoples of the Americas that are genetically related to East Asians, not Indians or "West Asians"

Old 04-02-2017, 02:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The kick I ways get out of is, South Asians and a few West Asian asiaphiles say they are Asian, but it's the indigenous peoples of the Americas that are genetically related to East Asians, not Indians or "West Asians"
Arabs and Iranians are physically and culturally similar to Europeans, not East Asians.
For example, they have Abrahamic religions, and Persian is an Indo-European language.

Asia is a eurocentric concept.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
I think part of the problem is that we are comparing a cultural sphere (the west) to an area (Asia). There are western countries in Asia. It also depends if one counts Latin America as part of the west. I personally do. The major cities of the Philippines are fairly western. They are most Christian, Spanish is a major language, Latin alphabet, eat many western foods. South Korea is now experiencing a faster population growth from immigrant communities then from Koreans.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think part of the problem is that we are comparing a cultural sphere (the west) to an area (Asia). There are western countries in Asia. It also depends if one counts Latin America as part of the west. I personally do. The major cities of the Philippines are fairly western. They are most Christian, Spanish is a major language, Latin alphabet, eat many western foods. South Korea is now experiencing a faster population growth from immigrant communities then from Koreans.
Korea is still almost 100% Korean in demographics and culture and probably will long after we're dead. When I read stats about "mixed marriages" in Korea and Japan, they count a marriage and offspring from an ethnic Japanese and Korean as "mixed race". So the mixed race population in each country is actually much lower than on the surface. Are some European countries ceasing to be European because Muslim immigrants are the fastest growing demographic in the EU? Nope. Does the US cease to be American even though Latin Americans are growing in super large numbers? Nope. The eastern Asian countries don't believe in letting foreigners in in large numbers. Pretty much evident in the fact that the little foreigners they have within their borders, are almost all foreigners from a close neighboring country, not on the other side of the world, and I think it will be that way long after we're dead. IMO, just let them be. They are happy the way they are, they don't need our opinion or meddling, and they aren't asking for it either. Well, except the Philippines probably

Western is a society that is rooted in European monarchy and/or democracy historically. What makes Latin America Western, and I'm speaking as a Latino, is that the indigenous influence is all but eradicated and replaced with Spanish influence. I'm not Filipino, so I don't speak with any authority on the matter, but I doubt they consider themselves Western (unless they suffer from an inferiority complex like Argentina does).

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-02-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Korea is still almost 100% Korean in demographics and culture and probably will long after we're dead. When I read stats about "mixed marriages" in Korea and Japan, they count a marriage and offspring from an ethnic Japanese and Korean as "mixed race". So the mixed race population in each country is actually much lower than on the surface. Are some European countries ceasing to be European because Muslim immigrants are the fastest growing demographic in the EU? Nope. Does the US cease to be American even though Latin Americans are growing in super large numbers? Nope. The eastern Asian countries don't believe in letting foreigners in in large numbers. Pretty much evident in the fact that the little foreigners they have within their borders, are almost all foreigners from a close neighboring country, not on the other side of the world, and I think it will be that way long after we're dead. IMO, just let them be. They are happy the way they are, they don't need our opinion or meddling, and they aren't asking for it either. Well, except the Philippines probably

Western is a society that is rooted in European monarchy and/or democracy historically. What makes Latin America Western, and I'm speaking as a Latino, is that the indigenous influence is all but eradicated and replaced with Spanish influence. I'm not Filipino, so I don't speak with any authority on the matter, but I doubt they consider themselves Western (unless they suffer from an inferiority complex like Argentina does).
Sorry, I was not trying to say S Korea is part of the west. With South Korea I meant they are transitioning to becoming an immigration county, but historically they are not. From 2014-2015 immigrant population grew at 14% (so about 4X's faster then Korean) despite making up just 4% of the total population. Starting in 2018, South Korea is opening up its immigration even more. The government estimates by 2030 about 15-20% of the population will be immigrants.

To me, an immigration country is a country that allows foreigners to become citizens and the immigrant population is growing faster then the national population. A handful of Asian countries fit that definition, but China for example does not even allow foreigners to become Chinese nationals, so it is obviously not an immigration country, but even then its immigration growth is increasing.

Europe does not equal western. So the countries with Muslim majority in southeast Europe are not western, unless one argues Muslims are western, but I won't go there. Europe is an area, just like Asia. The same is true with American vs Latino. You are comparing nationalities with ethnicities which has nothing to do with being western. Before the colonies were formed in the United States, it was not a western country, the same is true for the entire continent and for Australia and New Zealand. Those places have not always been western. Who knows what could happen 500 years from now.

The West is an ideology and a culture, but there are many variations to that culture.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:59 PM

491 posts, read 473,399 times
If by Asia, you mean East Asia, like China, I honestly think the reason is because the language is intimidating. China and Japan both had the option of Romanizing their languages, but they chose not to, specifically so that it would deter outsiders and it has worked. It's a lot harder to learn the language and to assimilate into these countries. It makes these countries more exclusive. It works. English on the other hand has a simple alphabet and is taught all around the world, so outsiders have an advantage when entering English speaking and other European language-based cultures.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
They're just smarter, diversity causes problems.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Sorry, I was not trying to say S Korea is part of the west. With South Korea I meant they are transitioning to becoming an immigration county, but historically they are not. From 2014-2015 immigrant population grew at 14% (so about 4X's faster then Korean) despite making up just 4% of the total population. Starting in 2018, South Korea is opening up its immigration even more. The government estimates by 2030 about 15-20% of the population will be immigrants.
Really? I highly doubt that.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? I highly doubt that.
From 2003-2015 it went from basically 0% to 4%, and most of that was 2013-2015. The government is continuing to open up their immigration, with big changes in 2013 and then again in 2018.

A couple interesting articles

South Korea's population becoming more diverse, but tolerance lagging - UPI.com
In Homogeneous South Korea, A Multicultural Village Hints At Change : Parallels : NPR

The source for the numbers I gave. You can use google translate on the webpage as it's in Korean.
2750? ?? ?0?? ????, ??? ?? ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia