U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 PM

261 posts, read 439,599 times

Advertisements

This is something that you generally do not hear discussed in much detail. It is scratched at the tip of the conversation and left alone. Here you will find a definite majority and a strong set of minorities as well. You will even find that they are stretched across a multitude of things from hard labor to entertainment.
Why is it that you never hear of this at all in Asia.

I understand that Asia never had a large migration of people from aboard but seriously--not one person ? No exception ? No singers, dancers, in some industry. I have never seen or heard from a mixed race born and raised Asian person making any kind of international success or news out of Asia. We have been around for a while now and most countries have sub-sets of groups settled with in, but not in Asia.

What is that "The culture is hard to pick up" "Unwelcoming to outsiders". I hate to jump the gun with this but how is that not racist ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
There were many Caucasians and other peoples in Asia. They just left.

Shanghai used to have people throughout the world. There were neighborhoods of British, French, Jews, and Indians...They all left in 1949.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM

78,520 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There were many Caucasians and other peoples in Asia. They just left.

Shanghai used to have people throughout the world. There were neighborhoods of British, French, Jews, and Indians...They all left in 1949.
Excellent points. Also, China still has a Russian minority in Manchuria, and a few descendants of pre-Revolutionary Russians around Shanghai, as well.

And of course it has about 30 other ethnic minorities, the Tibetans, Uighurs, Mongols and Manchus being the best-known. Some of the Tibetans, Uighurs and Kazaks are part-Indo-European, due to those early Caucasians that settled Western China, mentioned above. They didn't all leave. They mixed with Asiatics from Tibet and Central Asia. There are also descendants of Negritos in Tibet. But most of the remnant populations from thousands of years ago, like the Austronesians, Negritos and Indo-Europeans have all been engulfed and watered down by the Han Chinese majority.

There are African students in China, too, btw. Some manage to stay past their studies on dodgy visas to do business.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,937,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is something that you generally do not hear discussed in much detail. It is scratched at the tip of the conversation and left alone. Here you will find a definite majority and a strong set of minorities as well. You will even find that they are stretched across a multitude of things from hard labor to entertainment.

I understand that Asia never had a large migration of people from aboard but seriously--not one person ? No exception ? No singers, dancers, in some industry. I have never seen or heard from a mixed race born and raised Asian person making any kind of international success or news out of Asia. We have been around for a while now and most countries have sub-sets of groups settled with in, but not in Asia.

What is that "The culture is hard to pick up" "Unwelcoming to outsiders". I hate to jump the gun with this but how is that not racist ?
There are several mixed-race performers in Taiwan who have great success. Some people are prejudiced in their favor and some are prejudiced against them.

As for everything else, mixed race Asian-born people make up a tiny % of the population, so they make up a tiny % of the "news-makers". I'm sure there's a bigger % of successful mixed-race businesspeople in Hong Kong and Singapore where the number of other races is higher.

Finally, who said Asians aren't racist? Racism is stronger in less-developed and less-diverse societies, and there's plenty of it in Asia and the rest of the world. Why would you think otherwise? Plenty of westerners complain of various forms of racism while in different Asian countries.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM

603 posts, read 464,496 times
Asia for the most part does not have the history of extensive global imperialism that drove europe for the past few centuries. Europe, particularly western europe has a relatively individualistic culture and a vigorous progressive intellectual tradition.

Asia historically is culturally more insular and less globalist in outlook, until fairly recently.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,448,743 times
Asia has PLENTY of racial diversity.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
If you mean why Asia is not a big immigrant society, I think there are several reasons. The first is economic...Japan, Singapore, HK and recently Korea are the only Asian nations that are really first world. Of these, I would say only Singapore and HK are immigrant societies. Singapore is actually pretty diverse, 42% are born overseas, although most immigrants are from other parts of Asia there are lots of westerners too. Obviously, China was closed off from most of the world for many years and never encouraged immigration. Same with Japan or Siam/Thailand. Second, as has been mentioned, is the ethos of individualism in countries like the US. The US was founded as an immigrant nation, so naturally it's population is diverse. I should of course mention that the ethnic diversity WITHIN Asia is even greater than that of Europe, it's just many Westerners have a tendency to group Asians all together.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
1. Asia did not have colonies overseas, to which they owed rights of nationality at a later date.

2. Asia did not have vast reaches of arable but undeveloped land for immigrants to homestead.

3. Asia did not import slaves from other continents.

4. Asia's economic development came too recently for enough foreigners to have gone there yet.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,700,412 times
Quote:

Well think about this. What kind of immigrants has the west recieved? In the US the blacks are former slaves. If they didn't have slavery, then the black percentage in the US would have been very low. The hispanics are mostly illegals or their family members. US has been giving these illegal immigrants welfare, health care and turning a blind eye on the companies hiring them. How about Europe? Nearly everyone that has come is illegal immigrants, asylum seekers, through worker programs and their family members. When they get there then the government has been taking care of them.

Why is the numbers low in asia? They don't take care of immigrants. If you come as an immigrant to Asia legally or illegally then you have to find a living somehow. And since illegals don't know the language, and no one will take care of you, then you are totally screwed. There are quite a bit of westerners in Japan. Japan is not a closed off country, and the immigration laws are not tougher than the US.

Take a look at Iceland, which has no European border so immigrants can't get there illegally. There is hardly any diversity at all. Diversity in Europe and America is mostly due to the west being soft compared to asia.

BTW: Another factor is English. Canada, Australia, New Zealand have not been taking lots of illegal immigrants, but they recieve lots of legal immigrants. However, they would have been very homogenous if they didn't speak English.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Sounds like you just don't have familiarity with Asia.

In the Philippines, you'll see that almost every one of their celebrities is mixed with some other nationality or ethnicity.

I've also lived in South Korea and Japan and China, and they all have western celebrities that are famous in each respective country. They are certainly around throughout Asia.

If you aren't hearing about them in your country, it's a reflection of your country's values, and how they aren't tuned into, or aren't interested in celebrities and such from within Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or