U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM

155 posts, read 137,963 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am going to start college next year and in 2 years I am planning to transfer to a South Korean University or a Japanese University, I would like a college where I could transfer and stay for 2 year to finish college, in your opinion which country is better to study? and could you list the top colleges in both country?

Some information that might help:
I am studying International relations
I wouldl like a Top class University.
I am not looking for a Scolarship
If possible I would like a place where I could play baseball
I would like to stay in the country after finish the college to get masters degree and work there.
I am learning Japanese and Korean although I want to choose one country now to focus on the language.
Money is not the problem.

I have found International christian foundation in Japan but I don´t know if is a top university, and in South Korea I have found Seoul National University that really seems good.

Last edited by Ichig; 08-24-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
I've lived in both countries, and if I could go back to college again and study abroad in Japan or Korea, I would be in Japan in a mega-heartbeat. I am SO envious of the westerners who end up studying in Japan, and all the fun they have.

Korea, you'd probably enjoy it too, but the entire time I lived there, I never once thought about how I'd love to have studied in a Korean university.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've lived in both countries, and if I could go back to college again and study abroad in Japan or Korea, I would be in Japan in a mega-heartbeat. I am SO envious of the westerners who end up studying in Japan, and all the fun they have.

Korea, you'd probably enjoy it too, but the entire time I lived there, I never once thought about how I'd love to have studied in a Korean university.
I kind got this feeling that Universities in Japan will be fun because of all the clubs and events.

In which colleges did you study?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
I kind got this feeling that Universities in Japan will be fun because of all the clubs and events.

In which colleges did you study?
I didn't study in Japan or Korea. I teach English at the university level.

So, I've basically taught Korean university students in Korea, and Japanese university students in Japan.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:

So, I've basically taught Korean university students in Korea, and Japanese university students in Japan.
Ah, do you know if helps anything knowing more than one language? For example if I try to apply for an Japanese university those it helps anything in the admission process showing that you have knowledge in other language with exams like Topik, Sat?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,000,870 times
Japan without a doubt, it's a lot more friendly to foreigners than South Korea.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 AM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:

Are you teaching in HK/Macau now, Tiger?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Ah, do you know if helps anything knowing more than one language? For example if I try to apply for an Japanese university those it helps anything in the admission process showing that you have knowledge in other language with exams like Topik, Sat?
I think every university will have completely different requirements, and the panel who decides such things, will also have completely different values on that. But, I certainly don't think knowing another language would hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Japan without a doubt, it's a lot more friendly to foreigners than South Korea.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Are you teaching in HK/Macau now, Tiger?
I am.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the response ^.^

I was looking at some universities in Tokyo, how much would cost me to rent a house or apartment in Tokyo ( small one)? And how expensive are thing there like food and nightclubs?

About the admission process it seems that a lot of university require interviews and a essay, does anyone know what usually is asked during the interview?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response ^.^

I was looking at some universities in Tokyo, how much would cost me to rent a house or apartment in Tokyo ( small one)? And how expensive are thing there like food and nightclubs?

About the admission process it seems that a lot of university require interviews and a essay, does anyone know what usually is asked during the interview?
There is some website, Sakura House, or something like that? They rent to foreigners regularly. They have 1000s of listings, mostly roommate shares, since they are usually younger people like yourself who want to spend their money on other things besides rent.

Tokyo is expensive. But, like anywhere, you can live with your means if you have to. Restaruants are expensive, but you can always find more affordable ways to eat. Nightclubs are expensive. If you are a student, most likely you'd live like Japanese students, and just socialize with them, and do student types of things. I don't think most Japanese college students go to expensive nightclubs or restaurants, too much anyways, unless they come from a family that has a lot of money. They are typical students like anywhere else, in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or