U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times

Advertisements

In terms of beauty, I would say only Hong Kong really stands out, with Singapore second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 AM

816 posts, read 1,555,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'd say for the other cities:

Bangkok - Robot Building
Hong Kong - Bank of China Building
Tokyo - Tokyo Tower/Tokyo Skytree
Taipei - Taipei 101
Shanghai - Pearl Oriental TV Tower
The robot building is a fun building to look at by itself, but when juxtaposed with the rest of Bangkok's skyline it lacks the height or the color scheme to stand out. Tokyo Tower and Skytree are awesome but I wish the Skytree was closer to Tokyo's CBD as it's tough to get a good picture that captures the majesty of both. Taipei 101 is one of my favorite buildings of all time but the problem is that the rest of Taipei's skyline isn't up to snuff. It actually looks quite dystopian, the way Taipei 101 towers over the rest of the city.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
The robot building is a fun building to look at by itself, but when juxtaposed with the rest of Bangkok's skyline it lacks the height or the color scheme to stand out. Tokyo Tower and Skytree are awesome but I wish the Skytree was closer to Tokyo's CBD as it's tough to get a good picture that captures the majesty of both. Taipei 101 is one of my favorite buildings of all time but the problem is that the rest of Taipei's skyline isn't up to snuff. It actually looks quite dystopian, the way Taipei 101 towers over the rest of the city.
I agree, Taipei's skyline is pretty disappointing. I think Kaohsiung actually has a better skyline.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM

51 posts, read 203,032 times
I think the tall building in Singapore ( marina bay sand),in Malaysia (petronas tower), in Taipei(Taipei 101) ,alls are artificial or unnatural .it was built to stimulate or urge economies in each country.i think every countries can build it including the tallest building in the world.if it was built from the way of life (culture,history),I will call it as "classic city"

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times
There are many other huge cities in China: Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Tianjin...Each of them is larger than Taipei, for example.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenuleeve View Post
Taipei,Seoul ,Tokyo ,Beijing , Singapore ,Bangkok, Jakarta , Manila ,hongkong , Hanoi,Istanbul ,Kualalumpur ,New Delhi ,...
Skylines? This seems like a better question for the SkyScraper Forums.

But, I'd say HONG KONG (port city with a bay with ocean and mountains right there)....and next I might say KUALA LUMPUR only because of the Petrona Towers.

Does Hanoi have a skyline? I think it's mostly known for it's French Quarters and quaint walkable areas.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'd say for the other cities:

Bangkok - Robot Building
Hong Kong - Bank of China Building
Tokyo - Tokyo Tower/Tokyo Skytree
Taipei - Taipei 101
Shanghai - Pearl Oriental TV Tower
Shanghai Pearl Tower - it's an iconic landmark but lots of people see it as a monstrosity of ugliness.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,068,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Skylines? This seems like a better question for the SkyScraper Forums.
That was the very first thing I thought of as well. It's fair to say that folks on the forums devoted to skyscrapers and skylines aren't any different that people here. So I guess in that sense, it's an appropriate subject here as well. After all, it is City-Data. Still, it did remind me of the skyscraper forums.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenuleeve View Post
I think the tall building in Singapore ( marina bay sand),in Malaysia (petronas tower), in Taipei(Taipei 101) ,alls are artificial or unnatural .it was built to stimulate or urge economies in each country.i think every countries can build it including the tallest building in the world.if it was built from the way of life (culture,history),I will call it as "classic city"
So were most of the 'classic' skyscrapers in the world. Skyscrapers, in case you don't know, tend to mostly contain office space for companies. Looking good is a secondary function. The Empire State Building was built as statement, and to stimulate the economy. Why is Taipei 101 any different? One could argue the Eiffel Tower is even more 'unnatural' since it was built for a temporary exhibition. Of course, they are all classic buildings, but I deserve Taipei 101 deserves to be among them. It's a classic and unique building, a true landmark.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Shanghai Pearl Tower - it's an iconic landmark but lots of people see it as a monstrosity of ugliness.
It's actually one of my favourite skyscrapers or towers in the world. Such a unique and recognisable design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or