U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Skylines? This seems like a better question for the SkyScraper Forums.

But, I'd say HONG KONG (port city with a bay with ocean and mountains right there)....and next I might say KUALA LUMPUR only because of the Petrona Towers.

Does Hanoi have a skyline? I think it's mostly known for it's French Quarters and quaint walkable areas.
Still, it's fun to talk about skylines without having to join the skyscraper forum, where they're super serious about it.

Hanoi's skyline is just rising now...they have quite a few towers under construction. It's going to go from zero to a lot in the next 10 years as Vietnam rises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Still, it's fun to talk about skylines without having to join the skyscraper forum, where they're super serious about it.

Hanoi's skyline is just rising now...they have quite a few towers under construction. It's going to go from zero to a lot in the next 10 years as Vietnam rises.
I've seen several other forums where the subject of skyscrapers and skylines are posted (a fair amount of new construction photos), along with other unrelated subjects. I can't honestly think of any that are especially "super serious". The ones I've seen are interesting, but not really what might be thought of as being technical. There's plenty of appreciation, but there's also a fair bit of humor added as well.

I've never been to Vietnam, but I'm not surprised there are plenty of changes going on in Hanoi. It seems like there are changes just about everywhere, some surprisingly fast, and some slower. Cities around Asia with a good amount of international trade seem to be the ones that are changing the fastest.

The changes in BKK over the last three decades seems mind-boggling to me. There are areas in the city that are now almost unrecognizable compared to the past. The last time I stayed in the Sukhumvit Road area is now shaded by the overhead BTS Skytrains, and loads of highrises. I went to Bumrungrad Hospital there for a check-up several years ago, went past the US Consulate/Embassy area on Wireless (Wittayu) Road, and was completely lost as nothing looked familiar. I had no idea where I was because of all the changed construction. Other parts around the city are putting up more highrises than you can shake a stick at.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I've seen several other forums where the subject of skyscrapers and skylines are posted (a fair amount of new construction photos), along with other unrelated subjects. I can't honestly think of any that are especially "super serious". The ones I've seen are interesting, but not really what might be thought of as being technical. There's plenty of appreciation, but there's also a fair bit of humor added as well.

I've never been to Vietnam, but I'm not surprised there are plenty of changes going on in Hanoi. It seems like there are changes just about everywhere, some surprisingly fast, and some slower. Cities around Asia with a good amount of international trade seem to be the ones that are changing the fastest.

The changes in BKK over the last three decades seems mind-boggling to me. There are areas in the city that are now almost unrecognizable compared to the past. The last time I stayed in the Sukhumvit Road area is now shaded by the overhead BTS Skytrains, and loads of highrises. I went to Bumrungrad Hospital there for a check-up several years ago, went past the US Consulate/Embassy area on Wireless (Wittayu) Road, and was completely lost as nothing looked familiar. I had no idea where I was because of all the changed construction. Other parts around the city are putting up more highrises than you can shake a stick at.
I'm thinking of skyscraper city. I'm a member there too but I don't post much.

I went to Hanoi 2 years ago, and looking at skyline pics of Hanoi today there are a lot more high-rises than I remember.

Bangkok is definitely becoming a bit of a high-rise sprawl...it looks like a real urban jungle from afar, yet I feel it lacks beauty and character.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 AM

51 posts, read 202,852 times
Loll haha
Singapore area 710 km2
Kualalumpur area 243 km2
Bangkok area 1568 km2
Singapore and Malaysia can't compare with bkk. (like a rat and elephant )
the sum area of kl and singapore less than Bkk
Bkk has its style,not artificial or unreal like Singapore

Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenuleeve View Post
Loll haha
Singapore area 710 km2
Kualalumpur area 243 km2
Bangkok area 1568 km2
Singapore and Malaysia can't compare with bkk. (like a rat and elephant )
the sum area of kl and singapore less than Bkk
Bkk has its style,not artificial or unreal like Singapore
If we're talking skyscrapers how is BKK any less artificial than Singapore? I love Thai traditional architecture, but when it comes to skyscrapers I find Singapore's skyline more aesthetically pleasing. KL's lacks coherency, Bangkok's is just a bit of a sprawl.

KL's metro sprawls well outside it's city limits. Klang valley has over 6 million people.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Singapore looks like a top 3 skyline in the world in most pictures but in reality Singapore's skyline is nothing special and not better than Bangkok.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...KY2akAW6lYHYDg

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...&tbm=isch&um=1

I'll let viewers be the judge...BKK has many positives, but what I like about BKK in architecture are the traditional structures like the palaces and wats. This is something S'pore lacks. But Singapore's skyline is just more aesthetic and more balanced, while Bangkok's is just a sprawling mess with no head or tail like Sao Paulo or something.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:

I'll let viewers be the judge...BKK has many positives, but what I like about BKK in architecture are the traditional structures like the palaces and wats. This is something S'pore lacks. But Singapore's skyline is just more aesthetic and more balanced, while Bangkok's is just a sprawling mess with no head or tail like Sao Paulo or something.
I agree that traditional architecture is stunning and a very big part of the city's character, not to mention the rest of the country. The wats are dazzling to the eye. There isn't any other country quite like it. What makes BKK so unique (in my opinion) is it's blend of old and new. On the one hand, many of Bangkok's newer structures are sleek modern styles of architecture, which initially seem like they're not much different than any other major city around the world. And yet, on the other hand, there's its unique traditional styles throughout the city that gives a feeling of charm that this city is not like anywhere else and that you're in for a very unique treat. Even inside many of BKK's modern structures, you find Thai traditions are still alive and well.

I think you are right that there's a certain sprawl about the city. Frankly, urban planning isn't always apparent and doesn't always make much sense. It sort of meanders around here and there. You can find areas where the newest modern structures may be located right next to some old rundown buidings. Road systems don't always make sense either. But that's all part of what make the city stand out. To me, there's seldom anything boring about BKK, except maybe getting stuck in some of the traffic jams.

I can see your point about BKK's skyline, that others tend to stand out more. But I think it's fair to consider that such scenic views are seen from a particular vantage point. In that sense, BKK's skyline can indeed stand out quite impressively from numerous different vantage points, giving its skyline a variety of different views. And as I'm sure you know, BKK is a city with a lot of variety.

Below is a link to a large, impressive, panoramic night view of BKK's skyline taken from the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel. You'll need to scroll across as well as up and down with this one. It was ranked as a Wikipedia Photo of the Month or something like that. It's almost like looking at stars in a galaxy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ia_Commons.jpg

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM

816 posts, read 1,554,787 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Bangkok needs a distinctive landmark building to serve as the focal point of it's skyline.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or