U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,374,009 times

Advertisements

Most of Asia is having a bright future. The countries of Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong+Mainland China, South Korea are becoming very prominent, having more cultural dominance in Asia, tourism becoming more popular, and the majority of countries in Asia are experiencing the astronomical cultural and economic growth in modern times.

Japan is continuing to do very well, and having prominence. However, I noticed there might be some relative decline and stagnation happening in Japan compared to Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong+Mainland China, South Korea, and now sharing more of the economic wealth, some similar events in the professional environment, technological infrastructure, cultural scene, and opportunities in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,361,680 times
I can't really answer that definitively, but I have noticed that Japanese products have declined relative to South Korean products. Sony, for instance, seems to have declined while Samsung has risen.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM

448 posts, read 468,778 times
Japan will continue to be the world's top few largest economies for some time.
The question can simply be answered by statistics.
It is a fact Japan's economic growth is not as high as it used to be.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 30,673 times
Even if Japan is declining economically, the country still has much to offer due to its distinct cultural heritage. Japan really does seem like a distinct country and civilization despite absorbing foreign elements. What other country have similar aesthetics or way of doing things as Japan?

Not to undermine Korea or anything but so what if they make better electronic goods nowadays? Will they even be doing this 100 years from now? Economies come and go so much and everything is subject to flux; you never know what's going to happen. A hundred years from now Japan may be completely different economically for better or worse but the culture, aesthetics, style, and way of living will persist.

A century from now, people will still appreciate Japanese culture - the bizarre kabuki theaters, the strange manga and anime, the magnificent castles and temples and all the other little things that makes Japan unique. I cannot say the same for Korea. The goods they make, the culture they produce are all short-lived and ephemeral. A stepping stone to something greater that will ultimately be forgotten. Who cares if they produce American style pop music in the Korean language, or if they were the best at Starcraft, or that they produce economical me-too copies of electronics and automobiles?

Japan is a real country. Not a sterile, corporate backed tax haven. Not a miniature version of a larger country. Not a city whose language and culture will eventually be absorbed, homogenized and forgotten. Not a country who yearns to be more important or relevant than it actually is. Japan is here to stay.

Last edited by Warranthad; 09-11-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post
Even if Japan is declining economically, the country still has much to offer due to its distinct cultural heritage. Japan really does seem like a distinct country and civilization despite absorbing foreign elements. What other country have similar aesthetics or way of doing things as Japan?

Not to undermine Korea or anything but so what if they make better electronic goods nowadays? Will they even be doing this 100 years from now? Economies come and go so much and everything is subject to flux; you never know what's going to happen. Japan 100 years from now much be completely different economically for better or worse but the culture, aesthetics, style, and way of living will persist.

A century from now, people will still appreciate Japanese culture - the bizarre kabuki theaters, the strange manga and anime, the magnificent castles and temples and all the other little things that makes Japan unique. I cannot say the same for Korea. The goods they make, the culture they produce is all short-lived and ephemeral. A stepping stone to something greater that will ultimately be forgotten. Who cares if they produce American style pop music in the Korean language, or if they were the best at Starcraft, or that they produce economical me-too copies of electronics and automobiles?

Japan is a real country. Not a sterile, corporate backed tax haven. Not a miniature version of a larger country. Not a city whose language and culture will eventually be absorbed, homogenized and forgotten. Not a country who yearns to be more important or relevant than it actually is. Japan is here to stay.
Well it used to be said that the Japanese copied the West but made things better, and Korea is now copying Japan. I think it's a bit unfair, Japan has copied some things (I mean every nation does) but it's also been quite innovative. Dunno about Korea.

Yes, Japan is without doubt one of the most influential countries culturally speaking in the world today. You have people all over the world obsessed with Japanese culture, either old or new. While Korea has it's own long history and culture, I do feel they're sacrificing it a bit more than Japan, and they're a bit less distinct.

Having a rich culture does not guarantee economic success, of course, as can be seen in say Greece or countless others. I still think Japan will bounce back, if they bounced back the defeat of WWII they should be able to do it again.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,136,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well it used to be said that the Japanese copied the West but made things better, and Korea is now copying Japan. I think it's a bit unfair, Japan has copied some things (I mean every nation does) but it's also been quite innovative. Dunno about Korea.

Yes, Japan is without doubt one of the most influential countries culturally speaking in the world today. You have people all over the world obsessed with Japanese culture, either old or new. While Korea has it's own long history and culture, I do feel they're sacrificing it a bit more than Japan, and they're a bit less distinct.

Having a rich culture does not guarantee economic success, of course, as can be seen in say Greece or countless others. I still think Japan will bounce back, if they bounced back the defeat of WWII they should be able to do it again.
I agree with Warrant had's post. I think we can say Japan is like the Germany of Asia. Germany is in decline, too, but they are still pumping out a lot of innovation onto the world stage, and their influence is not going to go away. Like Japan, Germany was bombed back to the stone age in WWII, and they still bounced back stronger than ever.

Like Warranthad said, Korea is just an up and coming economic powerhouse. China as well, they are more like the world's factory shop, not much else. Chinese culture doesn't really permeate much beyond its traditional influential boundaries, whereas Japanese culture is the only Asian culture which has competed alongside American culture for worldwide influence. The US gave the world pop music and Hollywood, Japan gave the world manga and anime and all 4 are still very popular. What did Korea give? They are pretty much trying to make imitations of manga (they call it manhwa), and it's not having quite the same reach. Their "K-dramas" and "K-pop" is a passing fad, that much is obvious.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree with Warrant had's post. I think we can say Japan is like the Germany of Asia. Germany is in decline, too, but they are still pumping out a lot of innovation onto the world stage, and their influence is not going to go away. Like Japan, Germany was bombed back to the stone age in WWII, and they still bounced back stronger than ever.

Like Warranthad said, Korea is just an up and coming economic powerhouse. China as well, they are more like the world's factory shop, not much else. Chinese culture doesn't really permeate much beyond its traditional influential boundaries, whereas Japanese culture is the only Asian culture which has competed alongside American culture for worldwide influence. The US gave the world pop music and Hollywood, Japan gave the world manga and anime and all 4 are still very popular. What did Korea give? They are pretty much trying to make imitations of manga (they call it manhwa), and it's not having quite the same reach. Their "K-dramas" and "K-pop" is a passing fad, that much is obvious.
Agree with your post except for the bolded. Chinese culture is actually pretty widespread and influential, at least certain aspects of it. Chinese people have migrated to almost every country in the world, and brought Chinese food (often modified to suit local tastes), and also popularised 'alternative' or 'eastern' medicine and exercise like meditation, acupuncture and tai chi. People casually talk about things like 'feng shui', while Chinese styles in art and furniture have been in vogue for awhile now. More people outside China are learning Mandarin than ever before.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,464,277 times
Japan had similar levels of impressive growth after WWII. Same ol' same ol'. Now they're a mature economy and mature economies tend to climb the quality ladder and have higher costs and innovate in the cultural sphere more.

China and Korea will be there soon. In many ways Korea is already there.

In all I think Japan's just stuck in a rut (a loooong rut) and will snap out of it eventually. People forget that in the US, we've had essentially the same story - net zero job growth, relatively stagnant economy - for the past 10 years. Our economy just looks more vibrant because it has more ups and downs and more frequent bubbles. Of course our issues are different and stem from a corporate executive class vs. everyone else.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Japan had similar levels of impressive growth after WWII. Same ol' same ol'. Now they're a mature economy and mature economies tend to climb the quality ladder and have higher costs and innovate in the cultural sphere more.

China and Korea will be there soon. In many ways Korea is already there.

In all I think Japan's just stuck in a rut (a loooong rut) and will snap out of it eventually. People forget that in the US, we've had essentially the same story - net zero job growth, relatively stagnant economy - for the past 10 years. Our economy just looks more vibrant because it has more ups and downs and more frequent bubbles. Of course our issues are different and stem from a corporate executive class vs. everyone else.
Yes, a lot of the US seems to be in decline, like it looks rundown.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM

15,704 posts, read 34,731,780 times
My 2 cents.

Japan seems very MAXXED OUT to me. Meaning, it's already super convenient, super connected, incredibly fast trains, very efficient public transportation, tons of money into looking things looking really nice, and on and on. So, while most of Asia is building and creating like crazy with huge windfalls of money going into gazillions of things....it's difficult for me to look at Japan, and say 'yeah, they could use this or that', as they already have all the this and that.

Economically. Now that I'm in the Hong Kong/Macau area. And even on a plane from Osaka to Shanghai earlier, the big theme is that Chinese people are buying up Japanese products like crazy. The main reason is it's known to be of very high quality, which it is. Also, when I was living in Japan during the last 5 years, you see Chinese tourists absolutely everywhere. China is pumping a lot of money into the Japan market with tourism and buying up all the quality products. That theme will probably continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or