U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,362,331 times

Advertisements

Taiwan seems very well balanced in urban scenery, nature scenery, culture, lifestyle, and being peaceful.

Taiwan recently became more economically wealthy than Japan based on average annual income. Taiwan seems to have more of a Life-Work balance compared to Japan/South Korea, less competitive, and more relaxing while having the economic wealth at the same time.

There is more online articles to further describe the quality of life in Taiwan, and Taiwan ranking above Japan, South Korea, and even number 1 in Asia based on some measures: Asia News | South East Asia News | AsiaOne http://www.taiwaninsights.com/2011/0...y-way-of-life/ The 1st website link includes up to 11+ important characteristics of Life Satisfaction, Education, Environment, Community, Life-Work Balance, Civic Engagement, Health, Safety, Jobs, Income, Housing. The 2nd website link includes relevant quality of life statistics unique to Taiwan and corresponding well for Taiwan deserving more international recognition, appreciation, and respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM

20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Taiwan seems very well balanced in urban scenery, nature scenery, culture, lifestyle, and being peaceful.

Taiwan recently became more economically wealthy than Japan based on average annual income. Taiwan seems to have more of a Life-Work balance compared to Japan/South Korea, less competitive, and more relaxing while having the economic wealth at the same time.

There is more online articles to further describe the quality of life in Taiwan, and Taiwan ranking above Japan, South Korea, and even number 1 in Asia based on some measures: Asia News | South East Asia News | AsiaOne Taiwan takes pride in its quality of life | Taiwan Insights The 1st website link includes up to 11+ important characteristics of Life Satisfaction, Education, Environment, Community, Life-Work Balance, Civic Engagement, Health, Safety, Jobs, Income, Housing. The 2nd website link includes relevant quality of life statistics unique to Taiwan and corresponding well for Taiwan deserving more international recognition, appreciation, and respect.
I've lived there off and on, and I agree with the general idea of it. That being said, the life-work balance isn't actually all that great for most people--it's true that a lot of people have enough disposable income for a lot of material possessions, but the amount of time put into work for a lot of people there can be extreme. This also goes for the students who spend a huge amount of time in cram schools. The material wealth is also highly concentrated in Taipei specifically and on the chain of cities on the western seaboard in general.

Eslite is an awesome book store though. I can't think of many other places, even those that purport to be 24 hour cities, that have an amazing 24 hour bookstore. Good stuff.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,339,870 times
I don't know what actually living there and working an office job or a typical job there is like, but I was quite impressed with what I saw on a 3 week visit, and what the article says does not surprise me. Taiwan feels definitely first world: it's relatively clean (although like in most Asian nations there are the grittier, earthier areas), people are civilised (especially compared to mainland China), the economy feels vital, the place feels alive and people take great pride in it. The people are generally welcoming of visitors, friendly and seem quite happy, especially compared to those in Hong Kong or Singapore. Taipei is an exciting, modern city, which still embraces tradition. It's also close to some really nice scenery. The thing about convenience stores is definitely spot on, even in the most 'remote' part of Taiwan you can usually find a 7-11 or a Family Mart. I also feel there is quite an emphasis on leisure and entertainment in Taiwan, with plenty of opportunities to get away from the hustle of the big city. It's also amazingly quick to get anywhere in the island with the high speed rail service which is both comparatively affordable (compared to Japan's), comfortable and reliable.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM

818 posts, read 1,481,216 times
That Taiwan has a higher GDP per capita than South Korea or Japan surprised me. I'm aware of a few Taiwanese companies like HTC, Asus and Acer, but aren't these mid-tier companies in their respective fields compared to the juggernauts like Sony, Toyota, Samsung and LG?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM

448 posts, read 468,046 times
Taiwan's crime rate is higher than Japan's, Hong Kong's and Singapore's.
There is the betel nut phenomenon which is suprising. The traffic is like Mainland China or Vietnam.
Taiwanese's average income is still lower than Japan, HK and Singapore actually. Yes, Taiwan have more life-work balance. Taiwan is not super wealthy though.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,837,909 times
People are some of the friendliest in Asia, less pretentious IMO than folks in HK or Shanghai. Taipei is still at a more "human scale" - not as overwhelming as cities such as Tokyo or Beijing. That's what makes it pleasant.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 PM

10,292 posts, read 11,692,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
The traffic is like Mainland China or Vietnam.
Vietnam wishes it had Taiwan traffic.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 AM

Yeah traffic is much more organised than Vietnam.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 AM

6,269 posts, read 6,102,825 times
The summers are way too long.
I really prefer the climate near Yangtze River, as long as there is heating.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The summers are way too long.
I really prefer the climate near Yangtze River, as long as there is heating.
At least there are mountains to escape too, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or