U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

The historical events made Hong Kong experience a different path in occurrences compared to mainland China. Hong Kong was somehow under British rule mostly from 1841 to 1997, more than a century, and shows unique characteristics not entirely related to mainland China, even in modern times.

Hong Kong is more progressive, having much more economic wealth based on average annual income per capita, not GDP compared to most of China, more democratic/less communist, more Western influenced, and just not being exactly similar to the rest of China.

What are the opinions people have between mainland China vs. Hong Kong, including the people living there and visiting?

There is plenty of ethnic Chinese authentic culture in Hong Kong, so this almost never disappeared from the character, soul, and personality of Hong Kong.

I give more credit to Southern China, the immediate surrounding region of Hong Kong, and not historic UK for the prominence, world class popularity, and success of Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
I think you can actually give credit to the Communists for partly making Hong Kong what it is today. It's rise to success was almost default, since it was the only real foothold of trade in China that connected it to the rest of the world. Before the Japanese invasion and the Communist takeover Shanghai was the most important city in the East from a Western point of view. The 'Pearl of the Orient' was a major trade hub and had a large foreign presence. Since Shanghai was closed off, Hong Kong started to boom, taking advantage of liberal economic policies, British common law and a commitment to individual freedom which saw it become the pre-eminent economic, trade, and shipping centre in the region.

Most people still see Hong Kong was being separate/independent from China. It's a SAR (special administrative region) with it's own economic system, system of law and currency. There is still restricted immigration into HK, which will maintain the disparity between the two regions, but I think Guangdong province in general is growing and there is less incentive to move there. HK is probably becoming less British and more Chinese (I think it was only British on the surface to begin with for the majority of the population, although it's westernised by way of globalisation).

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 PM

448 posts, read 467,658 times
About half of the residents of Hong Kong and Macau were born in the Mainland.
Mainland China has always been the largest source for immigrant settling in both HK and Macau since the 2 were occupied by European countries in Qing and Ming dynasties.

Hong Kong combines the best of both western and eastern.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM

818 posts, read 1,480,309 times
Hong Kong people and Mainland people definitely don't like each other. Hong Kongers call mainlanders locusts who lower the quality of life in Hong Kong by driving up rents (rich princelings buying up properties which drives up rental costs for ordinary HKers) using up all the social services (mainland women taking up all the hospital beds), and undermining HK sovereignty and independence ('election' of pro-beijing officials, introduction of communist propaganda into the school curriculum). On the flipside mainlanders think Hong Kongers are British lapdogs who would rather serve their former white masters than embrace the bosom of the mother country. They also consider HKers to be arrogant and cultureless.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM

448 posts, read 467,658 times
Mainland Chinese, Taiwanese and Overseas Chinese are very interested in the Hong Kong movies and tv dramas. Many Hong Kong stars are famous in Mainland China with many fans. Hong Kong is the hollywood of Asia.

Hong Kong people on average are more educated and international than mainland chinese. There are all sorts of Hong Kong people, many girls play piano and or other musical instruments at very young age, young boys have other hobbies.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
I'm not expert, only being a recent arrival to the area.

But, Hong Kong, and Macau for that matter. Each are separate by law, currency, system, their own immigration, everything. So, in that regard, they aren't under China jurisdiction whatsoever.

However, most people in HK/Macau, are still CHINESE. So, they associate themselves as Chinese culturally and everything else. So, they share the same culture. Most have NO ill-will against mainland China whatsoever.

However, you can see a very obvious difference between mainlander Chinese from non-mainlander Chinese. When I see mainlanders, they do tons of completely unacceptable things - i.e. when their babies/small kids have to ****, they make them squat over the nearest drainage curb area and do their business in public. Little things like that, that no local HK/Macau family would ever do themselves.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not expert, only being a recent arrival to the area.

But, Hong Kong, and Macau for that matter. Each are separate by law, currency, system, their own immigration, everything. So, in that regard, they aren't under China jurisdiction whatsoever.

However, most people in HK/Macau, are still CHINESE. So, they associate themselves as Chinese culturally and everything else. So, they share the same culture. Most have NO ill-will against mainland China whatsoever.

However, you can see a very obvious difference between mainlander Chinese from non-mainlander Chinese. When I see mainlanders, they do tons of completely unacceptable things - i.e. when their babies/small kids have to ****, they make them squat over the nearest drainage curb area and do their business in public. Little things like that, that no local HK/Macau family would ever do themselves.
Oh definitely, HK was a bit more civil for longer under the British. Most Hong Kongers do acknowledge they are Chinese, but I know some who want to distance themselves with the mainland and who pine for the era under British rule.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM

11,407 posts, read 13,950,805 times
It is two different cultures, although people from the Southern part of China (Guangzhou) will share some similar customs and language (Cantonese) as people from HK.

People from the Mainland want to immigrate to HK (for a better quality of life), but are hated by the HK Chinese and blamed for overcrowding an already densely packed city.

I have found HK'ers to be much more Westernized in culture and usually much more open minded than folks from the Mainland. In terms of civility and manners, well, let's just say I don't enjoy getting pushed and shoved into the MTR or subway while I'm in either one of these places!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It is two different cultures, although people from the Southern part of China (Guangzhou) will share some similar customs and language (Cantonese) as people from HK.

People from the Mainland want to immigrate to HK (for a better quality of life), but are hated by the HK Chinese and blamed for overcrowding an already densely packed city.

I have found HK'ers to be much more Westernized in culture and usually much more open minded than folks from the Mainland. In terms of civility and manners, well, let's just say I don't enjoy getting pushed and shoved into the MTR or subway while I'm in either one of these places!
You should go to Taiwan, the people are more much civil as a rule than Hong Kong or China.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM

6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times
Hong Kongers and mainlanders definitely have different ways of living.

However don't forget young people in Shanghai are way different from old people in rural Gansu, too.
Not to mention Tibet and Xinjiang.

Young people in Hong Kong and Guangzhou are very very similar in everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or