Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,496 times

Advertisements

One question, I have heard that its near impossible to get jobs that dont involve teaching english. Does this apply to companies such as banks who have offices and open positions in China? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM

101 posts, read 386,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St456 View Post
One question, I have heard that its near impossible to get jobs that dont involve teaching english. Does this apply to companies such as banks who have offices and open positions in China? thanks
Yes mostly. You should find a company in U.S that will send you to China. Ohterwise, very hard to find a non teaching job that can pay well.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,496 times
Thank you

Old 07-25-2020, 11:57 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
Nowadays Chinese schools or companies are recruiting less foreigners from some countries due to unfriendly foreign relations.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:02 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
Yes mostly. You should find a company in U.S that will send you to China. Ohterwise, very hard to find a non teaching job that can pay well.
Agree. You need to find the job in the U.S. or your home country that has a office or wants to set up an office in China. Once you have a few years of work experience in China, you can work with local head hunters to find future jobs in business or other fields within China.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:38 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
What’s the work culture like for a foreigner? I’ve heard that it is similar to Japan with very long hours and not much time off. True or not.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Nowadays Chinese schools or companies are recruiting less foreigners from some countries due to unfriendly foreign relations.
Right now no one can get into the country and there is a huge shortage of foreign teachers; I've been randomly added by recruiters asking if I want a new job, and I have an American flag on my wechat handle...

Once the borders reopen, one of the big issues is that the most in-demand foreign teachers are from Anglosphere countries: the US, UK, Canada, and Australia, all of which currently have deteriorating relations with China. These days in China, most people would balk at the idea of sending their kids to learn English from a Russian or Serbian... As long as the US/UK/etc don't start blocking or reneging visas, China will still most likely accept people from those countries, although likely with more strict terms on visas. They recently stated that from this year forward all teachers must adhere to stricter guidelines surrounding "national pride" etc.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:25 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
What’s the work culture like for a foreigner? I’ve heard that it is similar to Japan with very long hours and not much time off. True or not.
Most foreign workers in China are in upper management or they run their entire operations, so it's a different work experience then if you were a low or mid level manager in the U.S.

Working in China, there's usually lots of travel within China as well as neighboring countries like Vietnam, India among others but of course it depends on your company and it's market and product/service.

The hours aren't so long in the office, but you travel more and work more autonomously compared to if you were working in an office in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia